1994 Parker 2320 extended cabin open back project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some flaws but overall happy with the install.

a0c2494eda23366d552b46d6bb4b237c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed 1/2” black starboard over the old dash (after removing gauges). The display is a used A128 Raymarine. I debated using white starboard instead but thought it would look odd and not match the gelcoat

A question for our gelcoat experts: how smooth (grit sandpaper) should the fiberglass over the roof plywood be before applying gelcoat? I can’t see needing any smoother than 150 grit and perhaps that’s even being too fussy.

The roof got its first sanding last night. After sanding we wiped it down with acetone and faired the low spots. Hopefully final sand tonite and with any luck lay some glass this weekend.
564e695ad0e5407bf9e0de78cb4a6f4a.jpg

Once the glass is laid down and sanded the gelcoat will be applied on top. To my knowledge no primer is necessary. I will check to make sure though.

After some research I will prime the bare surfaces before gelcoat. I plan on rolling the gelcoat out without wax for 1-2 coats then finish with wax mixed in.

mheltunen":1anxdzbc said:
After some research I will prime the bare surfaces before gelcoat. I plan on rolling the gelcoat out without wax for 1-2 coats then finish with wax mixed in.

I thought gelcoat cured anaerobically and each coat needed wax apply manually or in the mix then after curing , area cleaned with hot soapy water, rinsed, dried and cleaned with acetone or other chemical agent specified then apply the next coat.

B2

Brent":2hanotc8 said:
mheltunen":2hanotc8 said:

I thought gelcoat cured anaerobically and each coat needed wax apply manually or in the mix then after curing , area cleaned with hot soapy water, rinsed, dried and cleaned with acetone or other chemical agent specified then apply the next coat.

B2

If the product does not have wax. Then the barrier (pva) only needs to be applied after the final application. The "tackiness" from previous coats aids with adhesion. This applies to polyester resins as well.

cutch9138":2a12up85 said:
Brent":2a12up85 said:
mheltunen":2a12up85 said:

B2

If the product does not have wax. Then the barrier (pva) only needs to be applied after the final application. The "tackiness" from previous coats aids with adhesion. This applies to polyester resins as well.

Thank you for clarifying that. I do have the wax additive and plan on adding it on the final coat.

I am planning on putting non skid down skid down on the roof. My question is should I put it in the primer or in the gelcoat. Any non skid recommendations? I can go fairly course in fact I’d kinda prefer that over a fine grit.

cutch9138":3vdy3wc6 said:
mheltunen":3vdy3wc6 said:
I am planning on putting non skid down skid down on the roof. My question is should I put it in the primer or in the gelcoat. Any non skid recommendations? I can go fairly course in fact I’d kinda prefer that over a fine grit.

Are you spraying, or rolling? I would sprinkle the particulate after applying the first coat while it is still tacky. Then spray final coat on top.

I will be rolling. Spraying is not really an option for me. Any particular brand or type of non skid that would be recommended for this application. I would prefer course over fine for this application.

I could be way off here but I always was led to believe that you don’t put gel coat on top of epoxy. Since you epoxied the roof, which is what I would have done also, I thought you would now paint the top. Epoxy adheres fine to polyester but it doesn’t work in reverse. Now, maybe some new gel coats don’t have that problem but I would hate for you to do all that work to find out it’s not going to adhere properly. I’m sure some others may chime in if I’m wrong. Sorry if I’m wrong but I would really read up on that if I were you.
Btw, your work looks great :)

MadGar":1qf54elt said:
I could be way off here but I always was led to believe that you don’t put gel coat on top of epoxy. Since you epoxied the roof, which is what I would have done also, I thought you would now paint the top. Epoxy adheres fine to polyester but it doesn’t work in reverse. Now, maybe some new gel coats don’t have that problem but I would hate for you to do all that work to find out it’s not going to adhere properly. I’m sure some others may chime in if I’m wrong. Sorry if I’m wrong but I would really read up on that if I were you.
Btw, your work looks great :)

Thanks for the compliment.you bring up some valid points, and I’ve been in contact with a few people regarding that same point. Brent initially brought it to my attention as well. The supplier that I’ve been working with advised me on a primer to use over the epoxy which will allow me to apply the gelcoat. I went ahead and ordered a quart of it and that should allow me to put on two coats of primer. In hind-site (which is 20/20) I would have done two things differently: I would have removed all of the balsa and gone strait plywood. That would have saved me many hours of fairing and sanding. Secondly I would have painted the roof instead of gelcoat. I realize it’s not to late to go with the paint now but I have the gelcoat and hate to waste it. Overall it’s been a good learning experience.

Back