Boat Security

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Info !! I've never fired a 12G with pistol grip so I am not sure just how much the weapon gets away from you. If you are targeting bad guys, not sure that with the right ammo, it matters much.

In thinking of the purpose, I am trying to think of the sequence of events in a hostile takeover. If I wanted the boat, I wouldn't take out their motors or hull, so I would probably have a rifle to take out the Capt. and crew. So, what would the defense be?

If I didn't want the boat and just wanted to rob or capture crew, I would disable the motor, so maybe maybe 30/6 NATO rounds in the engine block and then take the crew. So, what would the defense be in that case?

Trick is identifying intent before it's too late. That is almost impossible. So, what is the most practical, effective defense?

salbrent":3pdcyp3g said:
and an old S&W 38 sp police revolver.
It is so old, most folks have not seen one

5 shot with a 3.5" barrel or the snub nose? Lightweight frame.

Had both, ex wife hid and kept them both. I liked that snub nose.

Stay out of trouble! If have good radio or cell antennas, repeaters, or personal emergency beacon helps too.

Then keep them far enough away. Slug is good for that. Kind of a stretch to have a safe on the boat for semiauto pistol, shotgun, rifle, and ammo! You likely can't outrun someone.

Loudest air horn might be good too, maybe deter someone.

Slugs for distance. Buck, or goose shot for in close. Buck for boat close by. Birdshot is good in a house, no issue if you are somehow worrying about their boat!

If all else fails and since you are in FL, semiauto rifle in 5.56 would be a combination of firepower, flat distance, and quick fire, reload.

If nightime, a blinding flashlight is good too for up close.

Again, somehow stay out of trouble.

Dana

TheOtherLine":2iropd65 said:
salbrent":2iropd65 said:
and an old S&W 38 sp police revolver.
It is so old, most folks have not seen one

5 shot with a 3.5" barrel or the snub nose? Lightweight frame.

Had both, ex wife hid and kept them both. I liked that snub nose.

Plain jane
5 shot with a 3.5" barrel

ive thought about keeping a weapon on board when we go to the bahamas and in my opinion just not worth it. Chances are they are going to have bigger faster boats and bigger more powerful guns. Plus they have nothing to lose. Not a good combination.

TheOtherLine":2328bdx8 said:
Trick is identifying intent before it's too late. That is almost impossible. So, what is the most practical, effective defense?

You said it best. Identify intent.
If you are offshore and another boat approaches you, how they approach can give a clue as to intent.

Hail them on Ch 16 and see if they answer. Could be they have a medical emergency on board and need your help. Could be they want a closer look at one of those cool Parkers they have been hearing about.

Could be they intend to board and rob you. In that case, you have two options - fight of flight. Can you outrun them? If not, it's time to implement Plan B.
I would think that if you present yourself on deck with a shotgun in hand, a smart pirate will pass you by and select an easier (non-armed) target.

The pirates might be armed as well, but chances are they would rather pick on an unarmed mark rather than risk their own health and well being fighting you. If you are alone and cannot make the call to the CG, use the DSC emergency button on your VHF. If you are not alone, instruct one of your crew to make the call to the CG. Make the call by cell phone if you have service, or by VHF Ch 22a if you do not. The pirates might be monitoring Ch 16, but chances are they are not listening on 22a.

If the bad guys flee, take note of their vessel (size, color, attributes, and markings) and call it in to the Coast Guard along with your coordinates and their direction of travel. The Coasties don't take kindly to pirates, so give them good data to go on.

Whatever you do, do not depend on a bluff to get you out of the situation. If you present arms, be trained, ready, and prepared to use them. Know the weapon and the effective range of the ammo you have loaded.
00Buck and Slugger @ 25 yds does a lot of damage and the LE buckshot groups much tighter than you might expect.

Photo%20Library%20-%20092.JPG

As in all things, training and preparedness is key.

Kevlar interior liner for your pilot house cabin, armored cabin door and the portals are my shooting holes. 8) 8) besides everyone’s interior liner is falling down anyway :shock: might as well upgrade it :)

Seriously-

Weapons are good for inshore travel and overnighters at unfamiliar ports as well as big shark fishing. I prefer my Remington marine shot gun mentioned above and my stainless SIG 45 w/ laser/LED tactical sight. At close range the SIG will blind your aggressor and disorient while giving you a clear laser dot to surgically defend. The shotgun is loaded with 1 ½ oz HV slugs alternated with 00 buck shot for short and long range targets and also has a LED light attached. Organized pirates are a different story.

gundog":3m1hkv8m said:
Just wondering how others secure their boats while in a slip at a marina? Anybody add a lock to the door of their Parker? Other security ideas?

The Parker pilothouse doors don't lock???????

-Mark

or a military surplus rocket launcher to warn off the dead beats, thieves, crooks, no-gooders, pirates, ...... all of the folks who dont understand the concept of working, personal property ownership, home ownership, bettering theirselves, paying for items,

I say met my bros: Colt, Smith, Wesson, Ruger, Winchester, Remington

New unwanted boarder rejection device.

Going to mount inside a foam insulated piece of PVC tubing, which will be secured to one of the walls in the berth....

Attachments

• mossberg_500_cruiser.jpg
    mossberg_500_cruiser.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 87
pelagic2530":2qlaafw9 said:
just make sure to clue the Coasties in if they find occasion to be on board your boat... they dont take kindly to finding those kinds of things on their own :shock: other than that, sweet 8)

Any time I have been boarded they have always asked me, "Are there any weapons on board?".
To which I always answer, "Absolutely! Would you like to see them?"

In every single case, they have always declined. They just want to know if you are armed...
The Coasties are cool with that.

What is the official position on that? If you are in state waters does that states CCW permit apply or is it up to the coast guard??

Megabyte":38ulph2k said:
pelagic2530":38ulph2k said:
just make sure to clue the Coasties in if they find occasion to be on board your boat... they dont take kindly to finding those kinds of things on their own :shock: other than that, sweet 8)

Any time I have been boarded they have always asked me, "Are there any weapons on board?".
To which I always answer, "Absolutely! Would you like to see them?"

In every single case, they have always declined. They just want to know if you are armed...
The Coasties are cool with that.

exactly. as long as you tell them. i'd bet that answering in the negative and then having them find a shotgun would earn you an attractive new pair of bracelets :wink:

I have posed the same question while traveling in a Class A RV. Many would consider this their home, but the truth is they are all motor vehicles and laws apply. Reality is if you declare your weapons upon request you more than likely will not have any issues. Remember authorities carry guns too and understand their usefulness if needed. I feel naked without proper protection. (No pun intended) :D

Back