fuel sending unit problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soohoo

Reaction score
I have been having problems with the fuel sending unit for some time , I decided to replace it with a centroid sending unit .

When I removed the old unit one of the machine screws has been replaced by a large stainless wood screw .

My dilemma now is do I tap the hole to the largest size machine screw that will fit in the new sender unit's hole or some how put a nut and bot set up in with the bolt head inside the tank ?

The other issue I have is , I wanted to inspect the inside of the tank while the sender unit is out but how is this done ? I can only see a little bit in the tank and it looks like something is inside the tank is sliding around it looks like scratches all on the bottom of the tank . I tried to fit the go pro in but its to big

Thanks for the help Derek

good thinking with the gopro, but sorry to hear that it didn't fit. i've been having problems with my fuel gauge/sending unit as well. i hope yours gets resolved with a new FSU.

windknotnc":3kpaaaui said:
Buy one of these from Harbor Freight to inspect the inside of the tank. On sale it is usually $69.\

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-in ... 67979.html

I would tap the hole and put a new machine screw in. Make sure you use the correct gasket material. It should have come with the new unit.

Dido all of this. I purchased the same unit from Harbor Freight a few years ago chasing an object in my old boats tank that was clogging the pick up. It was just the ticket. It will allow you to do a good inspection of your tank as the head unit has nice LED's. It has come in handy a few other times also. Can't ever have enought tools/toys. :D Good luck.

The sending unit that was installed had a straight tube with a slide on it , the tube was broke where it went into the head unit then it fell down to the tank.

I think I am going to rent the camera at home depot , my plumber said they have them for rent .

I was just curious to see if I could see any junk in it , I have been getting a lot of black residue and looks like fine metal flakes in my fuel filters

I only have about 40 gal in the tank , I don't think I would put it in the gas if it was filled up.

I think the HF unit is fuel resistant and you can submerge it. There are baffles in your tank and you are not going to be able to see beyond them most likely. The straight tube fuel sending unit is a WEMA sender an in my opinion the best and most reliable. It is weird the tube broke off. I have never seen or heard of that. The fine black residue is probably fuel line particles from Ethanol. Make sure you keep your water fuel separator and the inline filter maintained annually.

I didn't see what year your boat was but I thought that it was only somewhat recently that they started using the baffles in the tanks? Does anybody know what year Parker started doing that? I may have them and not know? I'm not sure how much they charge to rent that scope but if it's going to cost you more than $25 consider the purchase. Mine has come in handy at least 2 other times around the house and 1 other time working on my boat when I droped a screw that went down the cabin drain hole.

The boat is a 2001 , after you mentioned the baffles I got wondering if it was posable for one of them to break loose and maybe that is the scratches on the bottom of the tank and possibly what broke the tube on the old fuel sending unit ? I will be looking Sat.

Kind of a nightmare trying to order the centroid sender , took a good 5 min to explain it was a Parker boat and not an item made by Parker ind. And if the tank is 16 3/8 deep and you want the tube 1/2 off bottom it would mean the sending unit should be 15 7/8 not 16 5/8 and don't get me started on the 2 wire 3 wire discussion . Had to give up and tell her I would call back .

OK...let me see if I can help. There is a round inspection hatch that should allow you access to the current tank manufacture sticker. See Below

I doubt there is a baffle that broke loose. They are welded all the way around. If you know the exact height measurement of the tank at the sending location just order one that is 1/2' shorter. As for wiring there should be pair of wires coming out of the business end of the sender. One is Pink and it should go to the back of the fuel gauge. The other is Black and it should go to a battery grounded location. On some senders there could be a spade connector that is for the ground and a threaded stud that the pink is connected to. I have had great results with the WEMA senders on several boats and personally would not consider any other sender. Ask some of the others on here their thoughts.

Attachments

• 179414_1556273673628_1816706_n.jpg
    179414_1556273673628_1816706_n.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 575
  • WEMA.JPG
    WEMA.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 575
  • wema 2.jpg
    wema 2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 575
well finally got to look in the tank and one of the baffles is broken free , I was able to hook it with a wire and pull it up to the sender hole.

I guess the I will be taking up the floor and pulling the tank , the only advantage is I will be putting in a huge tank and reworking my fish box with better insulation I would like to get at least 260-300 gal if posable . If I have to I will put 2 saddle tanks in behind the main tank on the port and starboard side

I started taking pictures today ,I plan on having the floor up and tank out this week ,I'm hoping to get the boat done for the end of april

any recommendations on a tank builder in MA area would be appreciated

DO NOT PUT ELECTRICAL DEVICES LIKE CAMERAS INTO YOUR TANK !!!! YOU HAVE AN EXPOLISVE ENVIORNMENT IN THERE !

Luther's Welding in Bristol RI fabricated a new tank for me two years ago. They were reasonable and did a great job. Fit perfectly and comes complete. Just plumb and wire it. Good luck

www.lutherswelding.com

Luthers does good work but it's worth a call to the original MFG'R to check pricing. You might save a few bucks as they built the original tanks. Luthers would essentially be building a "custom tank" which generally costs more.

Back