Parker 25PH Major Overhaul

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Duffy rebuild is truly amazing. I'm an hour past my bedtime reading the entire thread. You are a true artisan. Please keep us posted on this project.

Steve

I agree with everyone, that Duffy rebuild is quite remarkable. It must be fun to take on a mission like that. I sure wish you could have kept the boat to fully realize it’s capabilities.

Don’t know anything about the rub rails. Wish I could help, but GoodChance if you get time I would really like to hear about the Furuno 585 and the B260 combo you had. I have a B260 with my Furuno Navnet2 and a BBFF1 black box network sounder. I don’t like it very much and am going to buy an FCV585 soon. I’m not sure if it’s the B260 or the BBFF1 that is not living up to my expectations. Any insight from a charter captain would be very helpful.

Please take lots of pictures as everyone here loves to follow projects, thanks John

Just got back from a 3-day professional training program so I appologize for the delay in response.

Jim - Will do. If I need an extra pair of hands, I'll give you a call. Thanks.

TopShot - I can't comment on the 585 because I never purchased the unit. I purchased and installed the B260 transducer in anticipation of some very deepwater bottom fishing in the mid-Atlantic Canyons but I didn't own the boat long enough to get there.

I appreciate everyone positive remarks but I think that while the rebuilt turned out pretty nice, it was really the fantastic design of the 35Duffy by Spencer Lincoln that really set this boat apart from any other that I have ever owned. She was/is spectacular; a great boat design by all accounts.

Progress over the weekend was "light" due to an old back injury that has been nagging me for over a week now. Objectives over the weekend was to remove the bulk of the old bottom paint; I had started this job several time and always stopped after 1-2 hours because it is a miserable task. So I got the powerwasher out and with a 40degree fan nozzel had at it for about 3 hours. About 95% of the paint comes off with this method and I still need to go under with an 8" heavy duty orbital sander with 150 grit to finish the job. Here is a few pictures of the final job.

I also took 150grit on a softpad orbital sander across the port side hull starting at the bow and worked down to mid-ship removing the top 1 millimeter of gelcoat and assocaited wax and oils in preparation for upcoming painting session. You can see where I stopped.

Also filled all of the old holes used for rod holders on the canopy, VHF antenna, FM radio, grab rails, search light, etc. I bought a new set of aluminium grab rails and a nice 8-hold rocket launcher from ACF Marine in Bayvill, NJ. He gave me a great price and Bob makes some really nice products.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 6,805
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 6,805
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 6,805
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 6,804
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 6,804
Also worked the cabin seating over the weekend. Everything is fully designed, all materials cut and all dry-fit is "wicked-awsome". The table, seating, and framing for the seating is made from 1" stock mahogany. Looks really nice. I wish that I had taken a picture of the entire dry-fit yesterday when everything was set into place but alas, I again failed to ahve the camera at hand and was too lazy to go fetch it up from the house.

What I decided to do was allow storage under the seat such that I could store 12 (or so) Plano tackle boxes on end (like books on a library shelf). The seat itself is on a 24" stainless steel hinge so that I also have storage under the seat (and direct under the seat) that is seperate from the Plano storage area. Under the seat I will have storage the full width and length of the seat and about 3-4" deep. This is just enough for a random assortment of fishing sinkers, flashlights, flares, knives, sissors, etc.

The first picture shows the nidacore of the seat all tabbed in place and the first on many necessary fairing exercises so taht the modification looks like it was designed to fit from the factory and not a knock-off by a shade-tree mechanic. This is a miserable but with the sander and inside an enclosed space but necessary if the final product is to have any type of good looks.

The 2nd picture shows the 2 stainless steel brackets that i made to accept the table and firmly attach to the boat. Theres brackets are thru-bolted and use 1.5" fender washers on the far side.

The 3rd picture is of the mahogany table, seat and framing in my barn getting the 1st of many coats of varnish. As you can see there are some craters in the varnish and likely is related to the high humidity today in SW Florida with the passing of a line of showers. These will sand out w/o problem. I'll apply at least 6 coats of varnish here.

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 6,803
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 6,803
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 6,803
Finally finished sanding the bottom. Remember, this boat is 25 years old and this is the 3rd motor on the boat. This boat has been used long and hard having been used in a large diversity of recreational and commercial pursuits from fishing the Mid-Atlantic Canyons for tuna to waterfowl hunting in the lower Chesapeake ..... the boat has thousands of hours of use up her. In the course of thsi use, and after removing all of the bottom paint, about 20-25 small-to-medium sized nicks, scrapes and bruises were found. Even found 6-8 small blisters. All of these were sanded out and filled with epoxy + biaxial cloth (cut to shape and appropiate size) + a small layer of epoxy/cabosil/microballoons mixture. I'll let this dry for another few days and sand flush and fair out again.

Also have been working heavily on fairing out the inside of the cabin ..... no pictures of this uninspiring work..... just lots of work with a DA sander. Not much fun at all. Getting everything ready to paint in hopefully 4 more weeks from now.

I had a bit of help last week from a buddy...... it was a big mistake on his part when he asked "do you need any help on the Parker". So I put him under the boat with a sander and respirator.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,113
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,113
Very nice work. 8)
That thing is going to be awesome!

So do you think your buddy will return? :lol:

You are the MAN 8)
This great :D
Watching the progress here in Boston surrounded by snow
Two more storms coming Tuesday and wednesday
But I'm just sitting here looking at you boat and great work
Keep the pics coming
You are doing wonders for my cabin fever (Parker cabin that is :p )

Ice storm here tonight, continuing into tomorrow. :(

I agree... you are a ray of sunshine for those of us looking out our windows at snow (and ice) covered ground.

Yea, I think that my buddy Aaron will be back. He wants me to help him re-wire his Mako and I "think" that he also wants to Awlgrip the Mako as well. So I'll put him to some more nasty work when he again returns. Next nasty work will be sanding some Awlgrip 545 primer with 320 grit on a air-DA sander.

I hear that ya'll Yankees are getting clobbered again by another snow storm. It's 70 here today and sunny although should turn nasty tomorrow ...... cloudy and 65 degrees. Might rain a bit too,,,,,, :D

GoodChance":umdi47ic said:
It's 70 here today and sunny although should turn nasty tomorrow ...... cloudy and 65 degrees. Might rain a bit too,,,,,, :D

Chris, I hate you man... We arent getting snow but the weather isnt pretty either. Typical MD Feb weather that I am sure you arent missing right now.

Nice work on the boat! I cannot wait to see here when she is done. What color are you going to paint her?

Greg -

Probably white. I thought of going with a color for the hull and a white PH but I decided to keep it simple. I know that you and Bill J. like colored hulls but I like white just as much as a green or blue.

I will paint the floor a light blue or light green and extend this all the way through the cabin.

don't know where it is or i would post it up, but saw a pic of a Parker 25PH with the hull painted dark blue, and everything above the rub rail factory Parker. man, it was the sharpest Parker i've ever seen.

if the circumstances ever arise to paint my hull, it will be dark blue. 8)

I can help you there Jim. Bring your boat down to me and I'll Awlgrip it dark blue to see if I like the color on a 2520.

GoodChance":2olznxes said:
I can help you there Jim. Bring your boat down to me and I'll Awlgrip it dark blue to see if I like the color on a 2520.

:lol:

It has been several weeks since my last update but I have been far from idle on this project. Unfortunately I have had nothing significant to report since the past 3 weeks have been nothing but fairing existing glass work.

I have finally gotten to the end of preparation and was ready to start painting this apst weekend but alas, the Awlgrip primer never arrived from Defender. Apparently the good-folks at Defender had a small computer-mishap on Monday-last and my order shipment was delayed. I was a bit angry on Friday afternoon but it turned out OK because it was too windy on Sat and Sunday to do any spray painting.

I did get some finishing touches on the cabinetry (shown). Shown below is a seat that will be mounted on a pinano-hinge and allow access to another storage shelf under the seat (this storage shelf will be only 3" deep) and of course, there is plenty of storage room under the seat (next to the passanger's feet) for big items like Plano tackle boxes.

The table is at request of my kids and wife. All of this cabinetry is solid Hondorous mahogany.

Unfortunately the table seen here was scrapped. After full fabrication and application of the varnish, it became apparent that the wood had some type of oil or pollutant within preventing the varnish from laying correctly. The edges of the table looked great but the center of the table was fully of craters and "fish-eyes" indicating taht the varnish was unable to reside on the wood .... oh well .... so I made another table yesterday. You are looking at the "old" table".

Attachments

• P3050002.JPG
    P3050002.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 410
  • P3050004.JPG
    P3050004.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 410
I also received the brightwork from the fabricator last week..... 7-rod holder rocket launcher and 2 pairs of grab rails to replace the old teak handrails.

Attachments

• P2240005.JPG
    P2240005.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 409
  • P2240008.JPG
    P2240008.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 409
Back