Parker 25PH Major Overhaul

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful wood work, and that pipe work is awesome too!
Love the photo updates. 8)

doing some really nice work to that old gal......are you get the new windows for it or are you going to paint the old ones?
if you paint the old ones i would paint the same color as boat just my to cents..lol

Same windows are going back in although the frames will be painted Awlgrip to match the boat (Matterhorn White).

I'm completely ready to start painting but there was a "processing error" at Defender resulting in my order never being shipped (it was ordered 3 weeks ago and should have been delivered 2 Friday's ago). The order should be delivered by this Thursday/Friday and paint will be on the boat this weekend. This is the 1st problem I've ever had with Defender in over 14 years.

Thanks for the information Megabyte.

Also a good place to find speciality wood is through the local auction shop. Find a handmade dining room table made from walnut, mahogany, light Cherry and recycle the wood into your boating needs.

GoodChance":11oocy2y said:
a good place to find speciality wood is through the local auction shop. Find a handmade dining room table made from walnut, mahogany, light Cherry and recycle the wood into your boating needs.

Excellent tip! 8)

if you haven't already.........check out Don's Marine Salvage yard here in St pete. lots of surprises there. place is huge.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Nothing exciting to report although work has been steady. As of now, the entire boat, inside and out, has been Awlgripped with 4-coats of 545 primer and sanded to 320. The hull was topcoated last week with Matterhorn White and turned out "OK" but I had a problem with too much "orange peel" so I sanded it all off and will start again tomorrow. I think that I failed to reduce the final application enough and the paint film "closed" before leveling (plus, I probably didn't lay down enough paint in the first place). More pictures to come.

Awlgrip was applied over the weekend to both the hull and cabin (inside and out). Cabin turn out fine although there are a few small runs that I will sand out and re-spray next week (no big deal at all ..... just a 30 minute fix).

But the hull is a different story. Starboard side turn our GREAT. Here are the pictures:

Attachments

• P4100031.JPG
    P4100031.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 220
  • P4100032.JPG
    P4100032.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 220
  • P4100033.JPG
    P4100033.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 220
But the starboard side has major problems that requires removal and re-painting.

I believe this side got too hot in the morning and Florida sun ..... we are about 10 degrees above normal right now and it was 85 degrees at the time of painting (11:30) and the surface temp of the boat was likely even higher than this. I used the standard T0003 Awlgrip reducer and even retired the T0001 reducer. Both times I got poor results. I'll remove the paint with a DA 320 grit sander and move the boat to a cooler location and respray next week. Here is the BAD side:

Attachments

• P4100034.JPG
    P4100034.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 219
  • P4100036.JPG
    P4100036.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 219
Would a temporary sun shade help keep temps down on the hull, or is ambient temperature the problem?

Kevin -

The problem seems to be the Florida sun and radiant heating offered by 4hrs of morning sun causing the port side of the boat to get too hot and Awlgrip begins to act unpredictably. The solution is to load the boat back onto the trailer and relocate into a shady spot. None of this is a big deal and can be fixed w/o too much effort.

Getting there. Be done in about 2 days.

Trying to post pictures but something is screwy today.

Beautiful work Chris.
You should list here here. Might find a CP member who would be interested.

I'd love to MegaByte but for some reasons I am unable to post any additional pictures. Not sure why. Maybe you can tell me what I am doing incorrect? Am I space limited?

Plus, I am only half-heartedly listing the boat for sale as of right now.

Did you sand the splatter paint all the way down to bare glass? I am in the process of painting my 25 now and I is a major pita to get all the voids/ bumps out of the original paint. I am wondering IF there is any kind of primer that will fill the voids. I can't believe how long it is taking me to sand the splatter paint down to bare glass.....thanks for any advice

warthog5":2wrip9wn said:
I am wondering IF there is any kind of primer that will fill the voids.

There is sprayable fairing putty and there is high build primer.
Thanks Ill do some research on both...have to say your boat and Chris 's look great. Keep some pictures coming.

Back