Radar 2320 SL -Garmin 740s

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jutah09

Reaction score
There has been some new postings on radar and since I didn't want to highjack anyone's thread, I figure I post one myself. Looking for a decent radar/GPS combo for my 2006 2320. Does anyone have any recs? I looked into the Garmin 740 and the 5208. Nervous if the 740 screen size will be to small and the 5208 might be too large (10" wide) to mount on the dashboard (don't like things hanging from the ceiling). I know Furuno is the highly regarded, however dropping over 5k on equipment alone is too much in these days...

Any suggestions?

Decided on the Garmin 740s w/18HD radar combo. Thanks everyone for the input.

I just go through setting up my boat with a 740. I too was concerned with screen size but, so far, have found the 740 to be fine for my uses. Would I like a bigger screen? You bet, but cost wise I just couldn't justify it.

I have been looking at units myself. I think that the 741 is a cool unit but also a little too small, but the price is right. the unit with radar was $2,700.00 but now it is on sale everywhere for $2,000. not sure how much for the transducer I dont think its included

For what it's worth...
A 10" screen can be integrated into the helm, with room for your other instrumentation.

Attachments

• Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 393
Garmin just came out with the 800 series which has an 8 in screen same unit as the 740 pretty much just a little bit bigger. I have the 740 and I find the screen size to be just fine. Bigger is always better (in most cases) but like said above its a great unit for the price

Attachments

• garmin project 2.JPG
    garmin project 2.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 392
Thanks guys, the 5208 is an 8.4" screen but 10" in total width. I really like your helm with the flush mounr look. Unfortunately I have the "old new look" helm, so I would have to bail mount it on top.

.. .. ...if you haven't purchased your Garmin unit yet check this out!!!! You are basically getting the 18 HD radar FREE! At first I thought it was a mistake and they would have pulled it off the site. . . . ..but it has been on for three days now. I originally wanted something larger than the 7" unit, but this is toooooo tempting AND leaves me $$ for more toys!

West Marine GARMIN GPSMAP 741xs / GMR 18HD Radar Value Pack

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...92&langId=-1&searchKeyword=741xs#.UODPZHenfTc

West Marine GARMIN GPSMAP 741xs / GMR 18HD Radar Value Pack

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...92&langId=-1&searchKeyword=741xs#.UODPZHenfTc[/quote]

That's crazy, how can the new version be cheeper than the 740s/18HD Radar combo they have for $2,099 @ the store right around the corner from me. I asked them if they are getting the 741xs they didn't know of the product being release in Jan. I guess the home office didn't inform the field stores.

You can get the 740s/18HD Radar combo @ Star Marine Depot for about $1,899 with no tax. I'll have to check into the 741xs and hit the Garmin booth at the boat show this Friday.

100_4011.jpg

100_4013.jpg

100_4410.jpg

jutah09":kqilqb5y said:
That's crazy, how can the new version be cheeper than the 740s/18HD Radar combo they have for $2,099 @ the store right around the corner from me. I asked them if they are getting the 741xs they didn't know of the product being release in Jan. I guess the home office didn't inform the field stores.

. . . .....I agree. . ..crazy. The price for the unit alone will be ~$1700, so . . .. .. .it's either a great promo deal OR a big error. My local store was also unaware of the deal. . . . ... I'm curious if it is an error if they will honor it to those who purchased???

@ warthog. .. ...did mounting a unit that size so close to the compass affect it (the compass) at all??

Shannonigans":2gsi9u0i said:
. . . .....I agree. . ..crazy. The price for the unit alone will be ~$1700, so . . .. .. .it's either a great promo deal OR a big error. My local store was also unaware of the deal. . . . ... I'm curious if it is an error if they will honor it to those who purchased???

Whenever marine electronics companies update their product line, they will get rid of excess product with 'deals'.
That might be what you are seeing here. Or, it could be an error.

Honestly, the people at West Marine are clueless until something shows up on a re-supply truck.
To get the real story, give Jim a call at BOE marine. If the deal is for real, he will know about it and match that price.
866-735-5926

@ warthog. .. ...did mounting a unit that size so close to the compass affect it (the compass) at all??

Yep, due to the stupid magnet in the door for the charts. It will need to be calibrated. It's off by 4degs.

Yea I had the same problem with mine , mine was only off a degree or two, but I still don't get why Garmin puts a magnet there very poor design.

Hey Warthog5, I have a 4212 in the dash of my 2520, it appears that you connected to your engine with the unit, can you please give me some sense how you did that? thank you very much

I plan to install 3G iPad 2 or newer model (10" screen, fyi:no data plan required but need a 3/4G model for the GPS chipset) and mount using a Ram mount on the dash in addition to the already installed Garmin 545S. I will use the iPad and Navionics app for navigation and the Garmin
for FF and depth finder, and backup navigation.

I check DealNews http://www.dealnews.com for iPad deals and also considering an Android tablet with GPS chip set.
I like ASUS Android tablets

Current deals from the Apple Store

The Apple Store offers its factory-refurbished, 3rd-generation iPad models, as listed below. With free shipping, each is $70 to $100 off and tied with our mention from last week as the lowest total price we could find. Sales tax is added where applicable. Each carries a 1-year Apple warranty, the same as new units. Note that not all colors may be available for all carriers listed below. Notables:
•refurb Apple iPad 16GB WiFi + 4G for AT&T or Verizon in Black or White for $509
•refurb Apple iPad 64GB WiFi in Black or White for $549
•refurb Apple iPad 32GB WiFi + 4G for AT&T or Verizon in Black or White for $599
•refurb Apple iPad 64GB WiFi + 4G for AT&T or Verizon in Black or White for $679
•see all 3rd-gen. iPads at Apple Store

Navionic East Coast app is less than $10
West Coast is the same price

If you dont like Navioincs, Garmin has an app for $30 and maps are separate purchase.
It used the same BlueChart G2 maps as its big brother chartplotter models
see
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=114005&ra=true

You can add weather, radar and statellite imagery features for only $3.99
That is an incredible deal

m2cw

AMR":u7yrtw1e said:
Hey Warthog5, I have a 4212 in the dash of my 2520, it appears that you connected to your engine with the unit, can you please give me some sense how you did that? thank you very much

No....The motor on the boat is not N2K compliant. What you see is the fuel management page. This is done with the Garmin GFS 10. It has a transducer that goes inline on your fuel supply hose. Then it has a NEMA 2000 lead and another lead that hooks to the sending unit.

Finally got the installation done...looking to splash her about first week in April...Below are some quick pics from my phone. My apologies on the quality of the pics..

Attachments

• Lilly Radar 3.JPG
    Lilly Radar 3.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Radar 1.JPG
    Radar 1.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Radar 2 2.JPG
    Radar 2 2.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Radar 3 3.JPG
    Radar 3 3.JPG