Raised outboard

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
engine now in third hole. Seems to be dialed in pretty good. With two adults, two kids, ice, fishing gear and 3/4's fuel it runs an honest 50 mph at 6100 rpm. Reading 51 on speedo and 50 on gps. Runs 35 mph at 4500 getting 3.5 mpg which I think is great.

I pulled the 2310 out for the winter last Saturday, and had a chance to take measurements on the keel to A/V plate. I took a straight edge and set it against the bottom of the deep V, and extended it back to the engine. The distance from the center bottom of the hull to the A/V plate is exactly 3". The A/V plate is 3" higher than the bottom of the hull.
Yes, the engine is on a bracket on the full transom. That 3" seems to be about the right number for where the engine should be mounted. I'm actually hesitant now to raise the motor. It also seems that the lower slots are filled in for some reason.

Parker Paul

2005 2310 / F250
Pt Judith Salt Pond
Pt Judith, RI

you can measure and use that as a guage but that number can vary based on the boat and bracket combo and also the prop that you are running. Therefore its more a game of trial and error than measuring. youll know when its too high.

Ok, dropping engine down one hole. Its now in third down from top. When it was in the second down from top, when I punched it from 4000 rpms the boat would snap your head back. It accelerated really well. Now in the third hole when I punch it seems to be a shitload of prop slip. Rpms shoot right up but boat takes a little while to build speed. Sort of like stepping on your gas peddle hard when its raining. Also it breaks free when turning unless I have it trimmed way in. Think I'll sacrifice a tenth or two mpg's and probably less than a mph for better hook up.

TheOtherLine":3k9eqbw0 said:
optimaxfish":3k9eqbw0 said:
jcmcclellan":3k9eqbw0 said:
going down one hole today. With engine raised all the way boat planed out really quick, mpg was 3.7 at 4200. Boat just didn't feel "right" though. . Also seemed to take more effort to turn the wheel. 4.

if you trim the motor out, boat will steer just fine, it'll feel right.

So you are now 2nd hole up from the bottom?

Any 2520 MV's with a bracket have any comments on where they have their motor mounted?

I think mine is too low. I have mine 2nd hole from the top.

You are definitely too low. The next plate down (the one just above the prop) should be right at the water line when WOT.

Dave

aka

FishFactory, right around three bars the steering gets "light". Usually run at three or four. When I do my high speed hammer down runs I'm up around seven maybe eight.

2004 2510 mvwa. My f225 is factory mounted in the lowest setting. Having gotten a good # hours in pretty heavy seas I think it is right where it needs to be. Even @ lowest setting and trimmed in pretty good you can still ventilate prop in big trailing sea w/ tight interval (like some of our local inlets. Loosing thrust and steering @ these times can be catastrophic, leading to being pitchpoled. IMO the added performance isn't worth the tradeoff. Have any of you guys running higher settings had this happen?

tnnelvision":3ur2knac said:
Loosing thrust and steering @ these times can be catastrophic, leading to being pitchpoled. IMO the added performance isn't worth the tradeoff. Have any of you guys running higher settings had this happen?
Never. One should always run her tucked in a tad to stay hooked up in a following sea anyway. Control of the boat is paramount. But having said that, personally I believe an OB rig should be setup and positioned for optimum performance, which is likely to improve 80-90% or more of one's use. I run a fuel computer and can even prove to anyone that even trimming the OB up high while @ headway speeds improves fuel burn by 20-30% or more.

the "following sea" test has been my guide to know when the motor is too high. i couldn't care less about top end speed, or top of A/V plate being visible while on plane. if you think your engine is too low then raise it a hole at a time and take her out and travel down sea. it won't take long to figure out if it is too high...... the prop will ventilate badly. a little ventilation or bark is normal but it needs to hook back up right a way.

someone i know was hot to raise his engine motivated by some posts here on CP. we have been out a few time in the rough stuff and i don't think he is happy with it so it will be going back down next service.

No doubt trimming up decreases burn, as does raising the engine. I also more than understand how to trim the boat and where the tabs need to be. With the 25'mv w/ a bracket, in the waters where I operate, the lowest setting keeps her hooked-up in most all conditions. A higher setting would work fine most of the time, just not all of the time. When I am jockeying the throttle and reading nasty swells while traversing an inlet, at least around here there is little margin for error, at times, one good blowout even only lasting a few seconds could be big trouble. :shock:

Pamlico Sound-drum,tarpon,trout,etc.Offshore mostly out of Ocracoke Inlet. Dolphin bite is hot now if you can get out. I've only had minor problems w/ cavitation @ lowest setting, but it has come in the nastiest of conditions. I'd hate to go higher, everything's great, then one day get caught by weather and coming thru the inlet, realize its too high. Ideal thing would be a transom jack. :D

tnnelvision":1ahqlhzc said:
Pamlico Sound-drum,tarpon,trout,etc.

I frequent the same waters after the same thing. You fishing the Tarpon Rotary Tournament out of Oriental next month?

Burned up Dolphin out of Ocracoke on Sunday.

Was bored yesterday and remembered last time I was out on the boat, the av plate looked a little "wet". So I lifted the engine up one hole to the third. Went out today to try it out. The boat was hauling ass. Literally. Had two more people on it than I usually do so cant really compare numbers. Av plate was getting sprayed but looked to be above the water. Also rooster tail looked a little flatter. Love messing with my boat. Didn't have any issue with speed, rpm or fuel economy but if I can squeak out another mph or lower my gph for an hours worth of work, why not, right ?

Back