Windlass: changing your mind...........

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperjim

Reaction score
I have installed a few windlasses, most notably mine and the TheOtherline's.

In both cases the windlass was mounted where the factory mounts it. see pic 1. For me, this location proved to be less than ideal as the line did not fall over the deepest part of the anchor locker. The Otherline's 2520 has a wider beam which allows the line to tumble further aft more easily without a problem.

On my boat, with a premium 3 strand line, the windlass handled about a 100ft with no trouble, but more than that, it would start to pile up under the intake hole and have "issues". That situation was improved by going with an 8 plait line but then again after about 200ft there were issues with the line piling up directly under the hole.

Finally, I decided to move the windlass over the deepest part of the anchor locker and I am happy to report that the line will pay out and retrieve the entire 350ft without any issues.

Nice job!

You could probably market that as a kit.

Did you make a mold for that piece or did you make it over the foam??
Or is that something else in the bed of the pickup??

And nice job on the nonskid repair. 8)

hey Bryan:

No. i found a 45 lb chunk of that stuff (solid nylon I think) at Don"s Marine Salvage here in St Pete. Luckily the color matches pretty good. I ripped to dimensions s l o w l y on a table saw so as not to melt it. the sander rough finished my corners. Also cut the grooves on the table saw, then wet sanded it silky smooth finishing with 1000 grit.

The cool thing is that when i need to remove the windlass, i don't need to disturb it from the mount......the mount will unbolt easy enough......just clip the wires and its free.

An additional bonus is that other than where the line pays through the mount, the area is sealed off from water intrusion. the water flows aft around the mount and out the two drain grooves in the deck.

optimaxfish":2txnq2v0 said:
The grooves make it all work. nice

Now, about yer truck tookbox? :shock:

Yes there is a little bit of redneck in me.....i have a truck box. to be more precise .....a chest. mostly boat related junk in there. yes i had to custom cut it to make it fit. it has been in about 4 different trucks.

When the time comes and I buy my retirement boat, I'm coming to your house so you can help me rig it, great excuse for a road trip and to break it in fishing also. :D :D Nice rework on yours also, by the way 8)

as soon as the skin Dr starts cutting on my lips, ears, or nose, you can come down and have mine.......(at a good price). 8)

Marine salvage? I wish there was such a thing around here. Closest thing we have is Boaters World.

The windlass install looks great.

Stacy

GrouperJim, that's truly amazing custom work! I couldn't stop looking at the pics. If that outcome was for personal work, I can't imagine what kind of quality you could turn out if you did it for pay. What sort of work do you do for a living? Of course if you were to do that sort of custom work for pay, you would either have to charge too much for all those hours, or else end up making minumum wage if paid by the job and not the hour. Truly inspirational. I wouldn't have the confidence to start cutting the boat like that. I would have had to go the route of automating a flapper of sorts in the locker to direct the rode. What sort of time frame did a job like that take? Of course a long warm season like yours helps with boat projects like that. Jim

i have found that sometimes the best outcomes happen when you don't try to force the issue by settling on stuff that would work but is not really what you want.

i had built this thing in my head a few months ago and had a pretty good idea of what i wanted it to look like. after many visits to Don's Marine Salvage yard (10 acres of marine STUFF) i finally stumbled onto the piece of nylon.......and it happened to be the right color which was another thing i wasn't going to compromise on.

the biggest consumption of time (2 days) was repairing and texturing the 3 inch hole from the previous install. making the mount from the nylon was about 4 hrs and was fun to do ($50). the SS brackets were cut and bent on a brake at a local fabrication shop ($75). reinstalling the windlass on the nylon mount and connecting the wires was easier than the original because everything is closer to the cabin access door.

i did this project/post because if some of you guys with 2320s or 2120s have not mounted a windlass yet, you might want to consider mounting it over the anchor locker door and avoid any future windlass hick-ups. For those who have a windlass already and want to retrofit, then the 3 inch hole repair will probably be your biggest obstacle...........or you could be lazy and just cover the hole with something.......but that's not me.

I agree with the others, that is one fine job. I also agree with you on not settling for inferior materials or taking the easy way. Sharing information and ideas is what ClassicParker is all about, to me anyway.

Now that it is done right, you will have many years to enjoy it. Happy New Year.

grouperjim":xakr1tz3 said:
i have found that sometimes the best outcomes happen when you don't try to force the issue by settling on stuff that would work but is not really what you want.

For years I've told people "A year from now you won't remember the extra few hours it took to do something right, but you'll remember what you're stuck with".

Of course it has to be within one's capabilities to choose that route.

Grouperjim - that is ingenious and beautifully done! Now we all want one...

wayne

optimaxfish":1tqxqam7 said:
!!!! that's an idea. Why not a piece of 3" PVC 45 or 22 on bottom of winch to direct line wherever yer wanted it?

this from a man who poo poos the trash can livewell :shock: :lol:

Jim,
Great job on the retro fit of the windlass. Looks completely professional.

My question is, if this is an inherrent problem with the rode bunching up on 21 and 23 foot models, why has Parker not re-designed the mounting point? :?: :?: :?:

Again looks great.
Enjoy
Tom

Tom:

I can't speak for Parker. Maybe I'm just an O/C nut job who demands perfection from things........I dunno.

From a manufacturing standpoint it is easier and cheaper to just slap it on the pulpit. It does work on the pulpit but you need to periodically go up and pull the line back to the deepest part or it will bunch up. When it bunches up, hockles tend to form and cause jams/tangles on deployment as well. The type of line, 3 strand or 8 plait, doesn't matter.

Not trying to criticize Parker as I mounted the windlass MYSELF, and the instructions from Lewmar do say that the unit must be mounted over the deepest part of the anchor locker for "optimum" performance. I must be an "optimum" type of guy. I am just assuming this rode retrieval/deployment issue can be generalized to other 2320s and probably 2120s since it it the same set up. However, it is an issue for a buddy of mine with an 07 2320 with a factory install.

From a more practical point of view.......it is frustrating when I spend copious amounts time and effort to get over a spot and the bite is on........just to drift by the spot/bite because my windlass had a hiccup.

My windlass issues are fixed now........ :D 8)

I can tell you that sometimes pictures can hide imperfections in craftsmanship but, having seen this retro fit first hand....it's flawless.

But then again, you have to know Jim. Nothing less would have worked.

Good Job Jim!

TheOtherLine":2iwcnr07 said:
..............But then again, you have to know Jim. Nothing less would have worked.

oh, shut up you. lets go fishing tomorrow (Fri). wx=SE 5-10, temps in the seventies. give you a call.

grouperjim":1zss0r5z said:
oh, shut up you. lets go fishing tomorrow (Fri). wx=SE 5-10, temps in the seventies. give you a call.

Rub it in you two, looking at a balmy high of 48 tomorrow, partly sunny. All of 45 for today. :p

Back