Windlass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpwoodle

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a windlass to put on my 2310 Parker and was wondering what everyone was using. Or if you have suggestions that would be great also. Thanks in advance

Lewmar free fall pro fish.

Yep....You want the 700 series. Then have 25ft of 1/4in BBB or G4 chain. You will need a swivel and someone to do a eye splice in the 1/2in line to the chain. Oh.....And GET the remote control. It kicks Butt. :)

I found these swivels yesterday.

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststan.html

100_3863.jpg

The pulpit and mount for the windlass is beautiful. Do you have close up photos of them? Also, how did you reinforce the box? Did you use long bolts and through bolt through the deck? Beautiful job!

I have the 700. If you go with this unit make sure you get the 8 plait rode or you will have grief. A better unit is made from GOOD windlass located in Barnegat, NJ. A couple of friends have the Good and it is by far a superior windlass.

I have a 700 lewmar FF on my 2120. I use 1/2' 8 plait rode. I have tried both 3 strand and 8 plait. 8 plait is far superior over 3 strand especially in a small locker as in the 2120.
I bought from Defender for the winch and the rode..

Problem with the 3 strand is that is gets thrown under the stopper and causes a jam. Not one issue with it using the 8 plaite.

How much is 600ft....That's what I usually carry, but this boat doesn't have the locker capacity for that.

Thanks for posting the project link. I really enjoyed following the project.

warthog5":3fx24iwo said:
How much is 600ft....That's what I usually carry, but this boat doesn't have the locker capacity for that.
It's a little more expensive than 3 strand so I imagine 600 would set you back 4-5 hundred

Check Ebay

I saw someone selling Lewmar rides in 8 plait for pretty reasonable amounts.

Don't forget about the Seco rigging place that someone posted about on here. Very inexpensive.
They make the Lewmar rodes.
FYI though. I called Seco and they were out of chain till a couple of weeks and then everyone was going to be off for the holidays. So expect to wait if you order from them.

I just ordered mine from Defender.com They can do custom rigging

I carry 485ft of 8 plait and 35ft of chain in the 2320 anchor locker. As long as you're dropping your line directly into the deepest part of the anchor locker a 2520 sized locker should easily be able to carry much more than a 2320.

This line was piled by the windlass not by hand............

Attachments

• J3072x2304-05400.jpg
    J3072x2304-05400.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 926
  • J3072x2304-05466.jpg
    J3072x2304-05466.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 926
Thanks for all the replies guys. Jim, is that 485 ft of rode in that locker in the picture? I have also heard some bad things about the Lewmar. Have yall had any problems?

lpwoodle":essxlsj9 said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Jim, is that 485 ft of rode in that locker in the picture? I have also heard some bad things about the Lewmar. Have yall had any problems?

Yes to the line.

No troubles from mine. Mine is not a freefall. I like to drop by hand and then tie off to a cleat. I push in the CB and power it in to recover.

No Freefall? We would have anchored in the wrong spot without it.

So let me see if I have this straight. So you turn the Circuit Breaker Off and then it will Free spool?

warthog5":20ga8x0g said:
No Freefall? We would have anchored in the wrong spot without it.

So let me see if I have this straight. So you turn the Circuit Breaker Off and then it will Free spool?

I don't have the freefall option on my 700. Prefer it that way. I do not apply power to my system until I've started the engine and I'm ready to retrieve the gear.

The 700 has plenty of room to lift the chain off the gypsy with your forefinger. Lift the chain off and let the chain/line pay out through your hands in a controlled manner.........tie off to cleat since you are already there, then go fish. It pays out just as fast by hand as it does with a clutched freefall. As a safety precaution, I don't like power to the system while my fingers are near the gypsy, that's why the CB is popped until I'm ready to retrieve. FWIW not all windlasses have enough room to manually lift the chain off the gypsy in the manner that I do it. I know the the Horizon 600 does not.

Time to go, start engine, push in CB, go forward, untie from cleat and slide line over gypsy.......power up, secure anchor to pulpit.

I always get on the spot the first time. :mrgreen:

lol......yeah my chartplotter is instrumental in precision anchoring if there is such a thing. I realize there are many ways to do things but this is the way that works for me offshore in the Gulf. YMMV

If I am left or right of the spot and turning a dead motor won't get me there, I'll reposition by untying from the cleat, placing the line on the gypsy, starting the motor and then slowly driving to where I originally dropped the hook while powering in the scope portion of the rode. Once I'm straight up and down, I lift the anchor off the bottom by 20 ft or so, I move the boat in reverse and set the anchor (power down) on the bottom either left or right of the original drop the appropriate distance to get me where I need to be. I'll power out the scope until we reach the desired spot. Secure CB, go forward and tie off. I usually fish 150-180ft so it isn't advantageous or a good use of time to retrieve the gear completely just to make an adjustment.

I occasionally fish a 2520 with a 700 freefall. While you can still deploy it the way I do, we let it freefall since it is his boat. I will say that it works as advertised 95% of the time, but when a hockle jams in the slot while that line is screaming out uncontrolled under its own weight...........it really jams up hard and you might as well forget getting on the spot that time around.

OK :)

lol......yeah my chartplotter is instrumental in precision anchoring if there is such a thing. I realize there are many ways to do things but this is the way that works for me offshore in the Gulf

Wind and current can be a Bitch. :)

Just for the record.....I would never buy a windless that was not FF= Freefall. It's just a better buy and easier to deal with.

For what it's worth...

I prefer the non free-fall.

I do it basically the same way Grouper Jim does....except I don't pop the CB. I take my chances with my fingers, lol

Back