Windlass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW there is a conversion kit for $200 that converts the non freefall 700 into the freefall version. It is very easy to do and your windlass will be identical to, and as if you had purchased the Profish freefall. The only snag is that some of the early non freefall 700s (check serial number) are not designed to take the conversion set up.

http://www.wmjmarine.com/lew66000616.html

lpwoodle":1gnxjlv7 said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Jim, is that 485 ft of rode in that locker in the picture? I have also heard some bad things about the Lewmar. Have yall had any problems?

I answered this post previously but I wanted to just make clear that the quantity of line the anchor locker will hold without being problematic depends directly on where in the anchor locker the line drops.

Mine holds what it does because I moved the windlass off the pulpit and over the topside anchor locker door. This drops the line neatly into the deepest part of the locker. If you look at the pic in my previous post of my rode pile in the locker, you can see some white scuff pads attached to the V of the hull above and behind the rode pile. This is where the line falls if the windlass is on the pulpit.

So, with the windlass mounted on the pulpit which is where the factory mounts it, in my experiences prior to moving my windlass and with 8 plait line, roughly 300ft is about the most line you can hold before it piles to high and can become problematic. Essentially the line will pile in the upper part of the V until the top of the pile falls over on itself and then down into the deep part of the anchor locker which can sometimes cause a jam.

Hope this helps.

Who has the best price on 8 plait??

Think I'm going to tackle a windlass install on the 2530 this winter.

I just bought around 200 ft of 8 plait 1/2" spliced to 15' chain from defender shipped to California for $225 ($200 for rode, $25 shipping)
I would have preferred Seco, but they were out of chain for a few weeks and then gone for the holidays. I wanted it NOW so used Defender.com
Have to say, looks real good!

I just bought around 200 ft of 8 plait 1/2" spliced to 15' chain from defender

You short changed yourself.

With the 1/4in chain I use the length of the boat to set the chain length. So 25ft for you.

1/4in chain is fairly light weight in comparison.

But maybe your just using this boat on a lake where you don't have wave action and strong currents?

I would of liked more chain but I needed the rode so I could start using the boat.

I do my boating out here in the Pacific.

I planned on ordering from Seco and having 25' of chain braided to both ends so when the one braid wore out I could just reverse it. but as I mentioned, Seco was out of chain and didn't know when it was coming in and then the lady said they were shutting down for the holidays.

I rarely anchor deeper than 50' so I figured short term, the 15' of chain would work .

Does 5/16 chain work with the 700 windlass?

Like Lucky John said....Nope. The Wildcat is specificaly designd for 1/4in BBB or G4 chain. Even "Other" 1/4in chain will not fit it. This is due to the length of the links.

Thanks guys

if you hear of a 23' Steiger floating off of Hawaii, it's probably mine :)

Back