Corrosion/Pitting Issues on window frames of Pilot House

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEEP POCKETS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hopingto be a new member of the classicparker family in the next few weeks.

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2007 2320 Pilot House and when doing the sea trial of the boat I noticed there was some extensive pitting /corrosion issues oon the inside of the Pilot House covering most of the metal frame of the windshield and windows and also salt deposits along the frame under the windshield frame.

Has anybody else seen or experienced this pitting or corosion issue? Owner has taken excellent care ofthe boat and mentioned that this is common with other parker pilot houses.

Any input on what is causing this and if I should be concerned or is it just cosmetic issue?

Thanks for any comments or input you can provide..

DEEP POCKETS":2s37tbja said:
Has anybody else seen or experienced this pitting or corosion issue? Owner has taken excellent care ofthe boat and mentioned that this is common with other parker pilot houses.

Welcome.

Try a search.

search.php

Been discussed ad nauseum.

Bryan 2530":22afdt2b said:
DEEP POCKETS":22afdt2b said:

Welcome.

Try a search.

search.php

Been discussed ad nauseum.

Thanks for the reply and welcome :wink:

Deep pockets,

This topic has been talked about on CP before, but just ventilate don't leave the pilot house closed up. Ventilate and ventilate some more. Also put a coat of shark hide, woody wax or any other similar product on the frames helps as well.

Seems to have only become a problem when Parker switched to the diamond sea glaze windows.

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. Current owner has used Woody Wax so I will continue with that and make sure the cabin gets plenty of ventilation 8)

I would do what Bryan and others have done with the paint method, or just learn to live with it. Its really just an eye sore more than anything to me. Like others have said a good metal polish and sealant along with cabin ventilation is key. Those windows are very expensive so just exercise caution when working on them.

The key really is isolation the SS from the Aluminum.

Tef Gel on all screws works wonders and cleaning any salt buildup behind the frames.

Bryan 2530":xtss2onk said:
The key really is isolation the SS from the Aluminum.

Tef Gel on all screws works wonders and cleaning any salt buildup behind the frames.

Totally agree and would add nylon washers behind the screw heads also. Anything you can do to get the isolation will help.

warthog5":3jac4w24 said:
...... and would add nylon washers behind the screw heads also.

Yep, did that too.

When I did that project it was in the middle of winter, maybe Jan or early Feb.

When the windows came apart I found salt deposits that were still wet inside the frames, and the boat had been covered and out of the water for at least 2 months at that point.

If anyone is having corrosion problems I recommend at least taking off the inner rings and cleaning them. On reinstall, do the nylon washers and tef gel.

Back