05 2120 w/150 4 st.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISHON

Reaction score
Currently looking to buy a used 05 2120 w/150 4 st. that has only 20 hrs.the boat was taken to a local Parker/yamaha dealer for a check -up .Iwas told that the motor threw a code. The reason was according to the mechanic is a nylon crankshaft balancing gear,he also stated that as soon as he fired her up he could hear a whining ,which indicates an issue with this gear. I was told that yamaha is aware of this issue and replacement will be covered under the warrenty.I have been reading this board trying to find info about the 150 4 st. (other problems,customer satisfaction w/ the motor and yamaha service).Have their been many problems this motor and are you guys satisfied with its performance on the 2120. I DO NOT WANT TO GET STUCK WITH A BAD PRODUCT. Thanks in advance for your help.

I shouldn't even be talking about this as I am using the boat for the last time this Sunday. I dont want to jinx myself. This is the same condition the I bought my 150 in. Low hours. New motor on an old boat. We started with 8 hours and are now up to 80 in two seasons. Bent crank shaft, rebuilt the water pump, and major carbon built up after season 1. Lucky for me I had the YESS warranty so it was all covered. The warranty is up in four months. All that being said I wouldnt call this a bad motor but I know had I not had the YESS I would have been putting out several thousand dollars for this work.

Parkerman thanks for the reply.I noticed that Jimmars F-150 locked up because of that nylon gear. I know there are more of you F-150 owners out there. This causes me some concern,obviously yamaha knows about the problem.Why have they not recalled the motors and repaired the sub guality / defective gear whether they are with in the warrenty period or not. I have owned parkers and gradywhites all with yamaha outboards and always felt yamaha was a stand up company who took care of their customers.The repair would cost eight hundred to one thousand dollars if the motor was outside the warrenty period,unless your motor locks up because of this then its a little more.This would be the cost to us , because of a factory problem yamaha knew about.WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT!!!!!!

I have twin 2006 , 150s, have not had any issues at all, I do the services and they run flawless, I did have an issue with one motor, but all it turned out to be was the ground connection was arcing and once removed, cleaned up and re tightened, worked perfect ! My warranty's just ended, so hopefully we have no problems, but where we are all I see is Yamaha and Honda's !

I am glad you have not had any issues,but just for your own information check out the postings on yamahaoutboardparts.com.I share my boating with my wife and two small daughters,I can not afford from a safety or monetary stand point to sit and do nothing when yamaha sould be stepping up to resolve this problem with their product.This is not an isolated case. I posted this on great grady that is where I received info about yamahaoutboardparts.com. Thanks for your reply. P.S. if you look up the post on yamahaoutboardparts.com the post is on page 22 back in SEPT 08.

Well, I hope I do not have problems, but i am not going to worry till I do, All my boating is done mostly in the dead of winter when most do not head out, one of the reasons a Parker, and so far so good, but just in case, we have a life raft and ebirb and vessel assist, I can buy another motor, but not a son, so for now, when it breaks, will go from there, from what I hear alot, Yamahas and the Hondas are a solid motor, and this is from guys that use them daily, do not own the boats and do not care what breaks, so the motors do take a beating, not to worried, but hopefully it all works out for the best for you :) 8)

Your correct I have always known yamaha made an outstanding motor , and always backed their product.That is why I am surprised about this.My last boat was a grady with a 2 stroke yamaha that we put over 1300 hours on with out a problem.Spoke to the new owner the other day and still runing like a top. 1400 hours and counting.

I have an 06 Yamaha 150FTX 4 stroke with over 800 hours and never a single issue. The biggest problem I have is turning the key while the engine is at idol. I have a 2120 and think that the 150 is a good motor with the correct prop. It is hard to get on plane with 4 people on board. I love my paker 2120 DVSC. I have owned a center console and I hated having the wind and waves hit me in the face. Welcome to CP.

Good to here your positive experience w/ that boat and motor combo,I have also read that they are pretty good on fuel.Hopefully if every thing with the boat works out, I will be picking her up next week. She is at sundance marine waiting on parts for the motor. I am in san pedro may see you at the island soon. Thanks for the reply. P.S. any threshers at Dana yet?

Fishon, I live in San Pedro also. I hope you have better luck with Sundance then I did, although that was the old Sundance. I will say that Joel was a big help and I think he is now in charge of some part down there.

I too have a 2520 with twin 150’s and the only issue I’ve had was a bad seal in the lower unit. Yamaha took care of it and no more issues. I will say I only run Chevron gas and I’m still running the original plugs in my motor (over 500 hours). I checked them again the last time I serviced the engines and they look like new. I will check out the board you’ve shown. I never heard of any real problems with the 150’s.

Top-shot,I live in the taper ave area. I have seen your work on this board,very nice.I spoke with Mike Clark at Johns custom marine in stanton about the nylon counter balance gear,he said that yamaha is replacing the gear with one made of a different material. I am not sure if this was an issue with certain year motors.I do not know how far reaching the problem actually is , it may be only a handfull of incidents,I do not know. I will keep you guys informed as I learn.There is a guy on great grady that is a technician that believes this is no big deal,he sent me his phone # so we could talk , but have not been able to get ahold of him yet.I am leaving the house right now to go and pick up my trailer from pacific in chino hills. I will keep in touch.

Fishon, I live just the other side of Capitol. One of my best buddies grew up across the street from the school there. I wish I would have known you were going out to pacific trailer I need a u-bolt. Keep me posted on the new boat and congratulations now is a great time to get a deal on a Parker. I’m on vacation next week and I will just be hanging out working on mine.

is the 150 enough motor for the 2120 SC? or should i get the 200HP?

is the 150 enough motor for the 2120 SC? or should i get the 200HP?

The question of whether to equip the 2120 with the F150 or the F200 is a very controversial topic. Here it is in a nutshell:

F150 - Economical, lighter for less weight in the stern, very dependable, possibly yields more hp than 150, is extremely quiet.

F200 - more power when in tight spots (inlets, following seas), maybe better resale value.

The jury goes round and round on this and there is no obvious preference. Those of us who are more conservative and like to go places easily with no agendas are okay with the 150. Those of us who are more intent on reaching the destination faster, who may be in more dicey situations and have a need for power will maintain that the 200 is barely enough and the 150 is underpowered. I happen to fall into the first category. However I do not fault those who choose the 200 as it is a fine motor and it is perhaps worth every penny of its extra cost.

My choice of the 150 was a calculated one and I am happy with the compromises. I have not missed the extra power at all. Yet I am not a "performance boater" and have never been one to push the envelope when on the water. That said, I have been in some very rough and stormy conditions in my 2120 and my comfort level has never been a question of horsepower.

If you are questioning whether or not you will be happy with the 150, you probably had better opt for the larger motor. Good luck with your decision!

Just an update ,Yamaha is replacing the balancer assy. the new balancer assy.comes with gears made of a material other than plastic.Easy fix ,new part $625 + several hours labor=$$$$ cheaper than a new power head.All covered under warrenty.A balancer assy. failure may not occur often , but it may occur more than yamaha would care to admit.A co-workers friend has a parker 21cc with a F-150 ,less than 50 hours siezed his motor just last week as result of this problem,again under warrenty.Spoke with a yamaha tech in O.C. and he was aware of the problems with the assy. I am not bashing yamaha just trying to get information out to you guys in case some one starts having problems with their F-150.Now just waiting for the arrival of the part,I think their bringing it in on horse back.

Can you please tell me if this involves the F200 as well!!

Thanks MJ.

I do not know if any of this involves the F-200s,I have only heard of issues involving the F-150s.

From what was posted on greatgrady.com,this only involved the inline 4 cylinder F-150 not the V-6s.I was also told there is a posting on the hull truth web site that talks about this very issue. I have not looked it up yet,if any of you out there find it let us know.

Back