18 Repower F-115 vs F-150

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reid davis

Reaction score
Debating on repowering my 1999 18 ft hull with a F-115 or the F-150. Seeing that the boat was built with a 2 stroke 115 in mind, the extra weight on the stern has me concerned. Thoughts aside from the speed difference?

(knocking on wood while I type this) If my 2 stroke 115 wasn't running so well, I wouldn't hesitate to hang a four stroke 115 on my 1801 for no other reasons than fuel economy and getting rid of the oil tank.

I have an 18 with 115 - two stroke. I think it is about perfect. Before buying the one I have, I did try out an 18 with a four stoke 90 Yama. It had a six gallon tank at the stern and a battery in the starboard stern locker. I am a large frame and when I stood at the stern water came in through the scuppers...too much water. I did not like that and walked away because of it. Granted I am a big guy, but with the same boat with center tank and 115 two stroke, I stay dry..... I have clocked my boat at 43 mph (not knots) with a GPS. That was just me and approx 40 gallons of fuel. Fast enough by my standards. Personally, I would not change a thing in terms of power to weight ratio on this boat.

Really no need to go to a 150 on an 18 unless you have a lot of FAC days and want to set your hair on fire. :)

Stick with the F115, You would be wasting your money with the F150 and would probably kill yourself. The 115 is plenty of power for that boat.

My '07 1801 has the 115 Yamaha 4-stroke. I am not sure what if anything you would gain from bumping up to a 150, maybe a little speed. I can get up to 42 mph w/ 60 gal. of fuel, 100 lbs of gear and 500 lbs of people. The displacement seems perfect as the dealer told me it would be.

jonas grumby":e87kj25i said:
My '07 1801 has the 115 Yamaha 4-stroke. I am not sure what if anything you would gain from bumping up to a 150, maybe a little speed. I can get up to 42 mph w/ 60 gal. of fuel, 100 lbs of gear and 500 lbs of people. The displacement seems perfect as the dealer told me it would be.
Do you have trim tabs on your 18? I have the exact same 2007 boat and motor and can not get over 39mph in any conditions or trim levels. This is with 50 gallons or so 2 people total under 400lbs and maybe 20# of rods and tackle bag. NO bottom paint either. What am i doing wrong? Do I need to re prop for more speed? Not really needing it just wondering?

I have a 2008 ..1801.w/115 4-stroke Yamaha... When me and a friend(me 220 him 270) are near the transom I do get some water in the scuppers..also with him me and my 100 lb. wife in the boat it is a little sluggish getting up on plain..If I was going to repower my 1801 I would look at a Evinrude E-Tec..115 The e-tec is much lighter in weight alot stronger coming out of the hole and a much better top end. Just my opinion after reading comparisons on the internet..and talking to people who have owned both engines.
Good luck with your choice..

Funny you mention the 2 to 4 stroke comparision. I own both and there is nothing like the torque of the 2 stroke. Mine jumps on a plane and gets it; and it turns 6300-6400 rpm at WOT. I have to use premix and yes it is dirty by comparision, when I nail it - it goes, I like that. :D

Agree with the etec, best of both worlds, clean with tons of torque.

I have an 04 1801 with an F150. It definitely has its pluses and minuses. As some have stated, the extra 62lbs the F150 adds can cause the stern to sit a little low. Mine does not have the battery boxes in the corners, instead they are in the console, which helps with the weight distribution. But when two of us are fishing from the stern we do get some water through the scuppers.

Acceleration is impressive, even when loaded with gear for an offshore trip. I have just ordered a permatrim to help get the stern to ride higher and plane at lower speeds. If that does not work as I hope I will then add trim tabs.

Because of the power available, I have never actually run the boat WOT. I have had it 38-39mph at just over 4000rpm. I don't even want to try to run it WOT.

Overall I am pleased with the F150, but I would not have ordered it with that option. I purchased the boat used in 07 and this is how it was rigged.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,067
That is a beautiful 1801 - I think you can out run me! :)

My fall project is to move my battery to the console and then upgrade to a dual system. If you get a chance, will you please take a pic of how the batteries mount in the console. That would same me a lot of figuring.

Thx,

hmm..no boxes,"seats" in the corners of the transom?? Is that a factory thing? I like the batteries in the console idea.. I saw a 2000,..1800 in N.J. that had them in the console. The guy said it helped alot with the water thru the scuppers problem... Pictures please.....

The batteries are in standard boxes mounted to the deck inside the console with a Guest switch.

Attachments

• battery_boxes.jpg
    battery_boxes.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 918
  • guest_switch.jpg
    guest_switch.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 918
Back