1801 trailer question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fogwarning

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to upgrade the trailer for my 1800. It currently has a 16 roller Sea Lion with a GVW of 3000lbs, so I think it is probably a 2400 trailer. I estimate boat, engine, battery and fuel to be right at 2400 lbs. That comes to 150 lbs per roller. According to Loadrite - the max should be 160 pounds but I'm still under.

Question for everyone with 1801 experience. What trailer works best. Roller or Bunk? I had an aluminium magic tilt under my montauk and it was a joy to drive up on (errr load). I have looked at Loadrite and if I move up to a 3100lb trailer, I get an extra set of rollers which knocks the weight per roller at 120lbs. It also has brakes and cost more than their 2400 trailer.

Everything is on the table at this point. I am in Maryland and Ez Loader and LoadRite dominate this area. So, what do you guys think? What have you used? What works and what doesn't? Who has the best value?

Fog

fog

I have a 2001, 1801, Yamaha 115 two stroke on a loadrite trailer(single axle). With 40 gallons of gas, dual batteries, and coast guard gear it weighs 3640 pounds at a certified scales. I like my loadrite trailer except it came without brakes. I added tie down brakes,and that was a horror story. I now have kodiaks and they work great. The loadrite trailers I have seen have had tie down brakes on them. If that is what the factory is installing, I would not get them. My trailer is a bunk type, and is easy to launch and load. I tow it 220 miles one way to the nc coast sevral times a year and it pulls great. I hope this helps.

jh

That is very helpful. I am surprised at the weight difference between our boats. If you allow 600lbs for the trailer while on the scales, there is still a 600lb difference. between the boats. I wonder if that the the difference between the 1800 and 1801... or if my calculations are way off.

I am assuming tie down is a brand of brakes. Are yours disc or drum?

Tie down is a brand of brakes. They did not stand up to salt water, even with constant rinsing and attention. The kodiak discs are the cad coated with stainless pistons, and have been great so far.(two years) The weight of my boat suprised me too. When I replace this trailer it will be aluminum, with torsion axles, kodiak discs, and more load capicity. The load rite is 3100, but has a 3500 lb axle under it. I had to replace it after an encounter with a deep pot hole on the edge of the highway.

jh

Contacted the guys at S&S marine. They are the closest LoadMaster dealer. These guys seem great to deal with. Price is reasonable, all I need to decide is to go with the standard 94" wide or 102" wide. The chine width is 78" (89" at the rub rails). Plan to order tomorrow.

Any thoughts which might fit better?

I have the same boat 1995, 1800. I have a single axle aluminum I bar trailer with bunks. After having rollers on other boats I prefer the bunks. The boat is not hard to get on and off with bunks and I can still drive it on without any fear of damage. Actually the rollers were more annoying because they were on the pivoting arms and once the trailer got old I'd lose a roller quite often. Bunks seem to be far less maintenance and maintenance cost. The only thing that the rollers were good for was moving the boat back and forth to paint it.

I too am surprised at the weight difference, since the 1995 1800 has a 60 gallon tank rather than 40.

seaweasel

My '07 1801 came with an aluminum/ bunk Road King from Norfolk Marine. It is perfect for the boat. Most of the hardware is stainless but there are some galvanized fasteners as well which I coated w/ a perservative. I wish I would have been more proactive with the springs. When loading by myself I power on, keep her in gear, climb over the bow, winch her up, lock her down, climb back over the bow, cut the power, raise the motor and back over the bow onto the bumper of my Suburban, climb around on the tire and off I go! It takes only a few minutes and I've actually had guys at the ramp comment on this system but I don't know any other way I could do it.

Depending on your towing rig, I'm not sure you really need brakes for an 1801, for the most part I hardly even feel my boat when I'm towing it. Granted I am mostly towing w/ a Suburban or Tahoe but my little 4-runner doesn't seem to be effected either.

Thank you everyone for helping me make this decision. I pulled the trigger on a new LoadMaster Aluminium Bunk Trailer today. It is on order and should be here just in time to support my baby over the winter. Btw, Gary at S&S Marine in Norfolk is great to deal with.

BTW- Dale, sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. I just realized there is a trailer forum.. a Classic Parker newbee mistake for sure.

FW

Back