1989 Parker 23 Walkaround questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
I've been boat shopping for a 22-23 walkaround fishing boat for the last 6 months or so and recently came across a Parker 1989 23 walkaround with an inboard 302 Ford and a Yamaha outdrive. I've only seen pictures of the boat so far, have not seen it in person yet. I'm hoping for some general feedback from the Parker owners on this forum about this boat and drive set-up. Its advertised as having the modified v-hull and has a hard top. The motor recently rebuilt(less than 100 hrs on it since) and the outdrive was very well maintained. I live in southern Maryland and will use it on the Chesapeake Bay and rivers for fishing, crabbing and general cruising with the family. Are there any particular issues that I need to look out for with this vintage Parker? Was this boat built the same way as they are today? Can anyone explain the modified v-hull to me over the deep v hull? I notice Parker does not offer inboards with outdrives today, is there a reason for this? I have not been able to find any specifications on this boat on-line, does anyone have any 1989 catalogs or sales brochures that would give me more specifics on this boat? Is this powered about right and what would the maximum speed be for this drive set-up? Would this have an aluminum fuel tank and if so, would there be any reason to have concerns with a 17 year old tank? Do the transoms/stringers on these type boats have rot related issues? The only history I know so far is that it was used in NC out of Moorehead City and on the back bays of NC. Supposedly everything works and the price is in the right range($5 -6K with a trailer) for me. I'm handy with tools and do not mind taking on a minor project and see myself slowly restoring this to really good conditon. It looks like a classic model to me, but would appreciate some feedback on any of these issues plus anymore you have to offer.

Thanks - John
St Leonard, Maryland

Welcome to the site. A 23 with an I/O...I didn't know that Parker made them, but I'm learning so much about Parker here every day that it wouldn't surprise me.

Modified Vee (MV) is generally 14 degree deadrise, while Deep Vee (DV) is 21 degrees. I would put the new XL hulls that are 16 degrees in the MV category. MV is a good choice for the Ches. Bay, while DV would be my choice for a boat that spends any significant time off shore or in the 3 mi EEZ.

As far as I know, Parker has used aluminum tanks on all their boats. Have only heard of one Parker ever having trouble with the aluminum tank...so far most fuel in the bilge has been related to a cracked/broken fuel line (fill or vent), or the gasket around the fuel level sending unit. The tanks can be replaced if needed, and there is one person here who has experience cutting the deck, replacing the tank, and installing a new deck plate (can't remember off the top of my head who did that right now).

Stringers are well saturated in resin during installation, and I personally have not heard of one with rotting/soft stringers. The underside of the old decks apparently were not covered with resin, but everything since about 1991 (or thereabouts) is. If the previous owner(s) drilled holes in the deck or transom and did not seal them before installing the hardware, there could be water intrusion. That can happen with any boat. I have a 45 year old wooden boat (see link in my signature), and can attest to the fact that when built right, and correctly maintained, wood can last a long time. When they leave the Parker factory, they are built well, correct, and to last. Once in the owner's hands, some ignorance concerning installing fishing gizmos can lead to problems. Any pics of the boat?

John, Any boat of this vintage could have structural problems,but Parkers hold up better than most. I would suggest REALLY looking it over well.Back in the 80s PARKER made all kinds of configurations,Ive seen all kinds of set-ups in & around the Jersey Shore over the years.Keep in mind Yamaha only built outdrives for this country for a few years,rumor has it they sold the rights to some mega I/O producer,(I guess to keep them from dominating the market!) Parts are still available thru YAMAHA dealers,However if you ever need to replace it, You will have to switch over to a MERCRUISER or VOLVO. The small block FORD engine is fairly bullit-proof and parts are very easy to come by (and cheap). There are still alot of early Parkers on the BARNEGAT BAY, If it is a clean boat that runs out strong,how can you go wrong in that price range? By the way, The YAMAHA I/O was an incredible piece of machinery that was considered the BEST in its day,(probably why all the other I/O companies products got so much better in the last 10 years) Capt.Guy

Thanks for the feedback, here are a few pictures. Please give me some more feedback after viewing these.

John

parker5.jpg

parker4.jpg

parker3.jpg

parker2.jpg

parker1.jpg

Porkchunker":140yyn7v said:
A 23 with an I/O...I didn't know that Parker made them, but I'm learning so much about Parker here every day that it wouldn't surprise me.

Hey Porkchunker,

I have a 2001 2320 with a 200 hp turbo Volvo diesel and a VP 280 dou-prop out drive.

I guess it is a rare option but they did make 23's with I/O's.

Attachments

• Ida Ann 1.JPG
    Ida Ann 1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,983
  • Ida Ann 2.JPG
    Ida Ann 2.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,983
John,IF it runs well & everything works,that my friend is a no brainer! From the pictures it looks to be nice piece. (however everything looks good from 60 feet! cars,boats...etc.)kidding aside ,looks good. Do you know any marinas or marine service facilities (that you trust) that can look her over for you before you say I-DO? Spending one hundred dollars for an hours worth of check-out time has spared many of headaches,and it is great piece of mind. I am sure we have ALL spent more for less!

That looks like a nice boat that was treated pretty well by the owner. I agree the ford small block is a good powerplant. I also agree the yamaha outdrive may end up being a problem for you if and when it needs to be repaired. And if it looks as good as the photoss, it should be a no-brainer for you

John, For the asking price, you can't go wrong! :)

Ida Ann... Drop curtains on a 23 sport cabin are pretty rare, so your boat is double-rare! 8)

I have had no problems (knocking on wood) with fuel tank or stringers. She was mildly abused by previous owner and stood up well. I have had for 5 years. I agree to get someone to look it over and then go for it. If it is as good as it looks the price is a steal!

Jon

Agree the price is right.

I'd put a deposit on her, contingent on a successful survey. Ask the surveyor to focus on the wood in the stringers, deck, and transom. If that passes, you have a great hull to work with. If it doesn't, get your deposit back.

So you put some money into the trailer, some wiring, maybe the power unit, but for $5k, you can't go wrong as long as the wood is OK and you are willing to put some elbow grease into her.

BTW the Megabyte (before Kevin bought her), looked like hell. She sat next to my Parker in Fairwinds Marina for over a year, gathering leaves, mold, and generally looking more black and gray than off-white. I wouldn't have touched her as a used boat, but Kevin saw the sound underlying features, and now has one of the nicest, cleanest rides on CP.

I'm not 100% sure about the MV vs. DV, but I spoke to a guy named Farren Peffer at Parker Manufacturing yesterday about several items on this boat and he looked over these same pictures and didn't say that it wasn't an MV. I guess he's been around there forever, because he was pretty knowlegable about their history and boats. FYI he said they only built 1 or 2 of these in 1989 with this drive set-up, so its almost one of a kind according to him. The boat is in NC and I'm hoping to travel down and check it out within the next week or so, just waiting to hear back from the owner. He wants to get it uncovered, started up and ready for a sea trial. The only dissapointing thing that I found out from the Parker rep was that this boat has no built-in fish coolers or bait wells. I'm also a little concerned about the motor cover taking up so much room in the back, but I guess thats a trade off with an I/O. I'm also finding that parts for this Yamaha drive are hard to come by. Tri State Marine in Deale,MD basically said I was out of luck. I'm checking on line resources now. I want to make sure I can service this drive. The Parker rep said that it might be a challenge to convert it over to a Mercruiser or Volvo drive due to the cut out in the transom being unique for the Yamaha. I am also trying to find a surveyor and mechanic in the area to help me check it over. So there are some issues I'm trying to figure out here. But if everything checks out and the price is right, I'll probably go for it. Thanks for all the great feedback.

Thanks for all the great feedback on this boat. I'm not going to be able to pursue this boat afterall. If anyone is interested, its listed on e-bay right now with a $6600 bid.

Thanks-John

Back