200 HPDI on 2320 no full throttle- Morse Controls

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Catch Charters

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2320 with about 350 hours. It has a 200 HPDI. Has run flawlessly. Today, I was trolling for a couple hours real slow. When I went to take off and jump on plane it ran great but I seemed to have lost the top 400-500 RPM. It's actually weird. If I keep the throttle control at about 3/4 or 4/5 open I get 4700 RPM. When I crack it all the way, the engine still runs great but drops to about 4400-4500. Almost seems like the cable or linkage slipped? It still jumps up on plane but I clearly lost "WOT". I used to get 5100 easily. Keep in mind I had a full tank two weeks ago and now it's only half. No extra load on board.

First thing I thought was fouled plugs. The plugs have 10 hours on them. I pulled them out and they are all still nice and clean. I also worried maybe I lost compression in a cylinder. I did a compression test and all was well. VST filter is only 50 hours and spin on 10 micron is 10 hours. Same fuel from the last 10 hours of use this season.

Nothing changed and it started as an"instant" problem.

When I look at the linkage, it seems wide open at about 4/5 on the control. The only thing that moves after that is the white roller in the black plastic "guide" on the starboard side of the engine. Probably normal.

I'm hoping this all makes sense to someone. I'm guessing a sensor or something. I see all the filter issues cause the engine to surge and pop. This runs smooth as silk at 4700 but when you crack it that last little bit you actually lose a few hindered RPM and I am clearly not getting full throttle when I bury it to take off. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll offer a free charter in CT to anyone that can offer a solution!

Keep in mind, this is 100% usable as is. Just lost the last bit of throttle. Really seems like a linkage issue. Dual station boat and I tried both Morse controls.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Jim

I'm thinking it's something on here that is too smart like a throttle sensor telling it to back off. Engine just runs too good for it to be anything plugged?

It's fixed. I got some good info from the guys on The Hull Truth. Many experienced the same issue. One guy had the exact issue and suggested the metal filter first.

Hopefully this will help all of those having the same issue. I tackled the easiest filter first. The metal filter ($90) on top of the VST tank. Took all of 8 minutes. Pumped the ball turned the key on a few seconds. Pumped again (to be sure it filled up) and just went for a blast. 5100 rpm back in action and no more drop in RPM.

. . . ...good to see it was something simple...... I always keep a spare fuel filter on board. I change it every 50 hours, but. . . .sometimes I get similar issues to what you had and it obviously gets changed sooner.

Problem with these HPDI engines is they actually have about 6 different filters.

Great engine but a $90 fuel filter is a joke. That's just one. The others are around $40 for the spin on that is engine mounted with the gasket and VST tank and they are a real pain in the a$$ to change

Your car breaks there are 50 shops that will fix it right within 10 miles. Your Yamaha breaks you have to search for a dealer with a clue. I know more than some of them. The bad ones just start changing parts until you don't complain. I never had to return to Twin Hulls or Catalana and especially not Larry in Bpt. Three great shops.

Twin Hulls has been great in Bridgeport and Catalana Brothers is great too but they are both jacked until Mid-June. (For a reason)

I miss being able to go to Larry in Bridgeport at Marine Power Sports. There is a father/son team that is phenomenal with older carbed outboards.

Back