2002 Parker 2310 - Pre-Purchase Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roon

Reaction score
Hi All. New to site and I'm hoping to get some feedback on a potential boat purchase.

I'm Looking at purchasing a 2002 2310 DV/WA. The boat is powered by 01 Yamaha HDPI 200 HP w/ 1200 hours.

I've done plenty of reading on the site on this boat but I'm wondering if anyone can share thoughts on the following:

1 - What type speed and fuel management should I expect with this boat / motor?
2- Is there anything I should pay special attention to on the hull upon my initial inspection?
3- Should I be looking to have an inspection of the motor and/or a marine survey on the boat before purchasing? What's the general cost associated with that in the northeast?
4- I know there is a lot more detail which I'm not including on accessories, etc. but I'm curious to know what people think fair market value is for this boat/motor. I'm at about $24K with no trailer but I'm a little concerned as NADA is listing the value considerably less than that.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Lots of questions but I will try and hit a few. The motor, definitely have a Yamaha mechanic look it over. A new motor is a huge expense and I always have the motors looked at by a mechanic for compression etc. before I buy. Nada will always be low. You will need to make up the difference with cash for what the bank won't cover. As long as the boat is in great shape and the price is reasonable. In 2000 I bought a 1992 beautiful garage kept low hour scarab center console for 24k which I thought was a good price. Nada and the bank valued it at 12k. I kept it for 5 years and sold it for 24k. A marine surveyor will run you 600-800 the most important thing they will look for is water intrusion into the hull, that is the next big thing you need to check for. Other than that they will provide you a list of every thing that doesn't work on the boat along with the boat value $$. Take your time and never jump the gun. Make a smart buy. Good luck , Mike

Thanks Capt. Mike!

I will surely be getting a Yamaha mechanic to look over the motor. I'm not too worried about the NADA price, I'm paying cash for the boat but it's my only real reference point in terms of value on the boat (given my limited knowledge on the market).

Assuming all checks out with the motor and the hull is in good shape, I'd love to hear people's thoughts in terms value of the boat in todays market. I'm going to keep looking online but there is limited 23' WA inventory (most are CC/PH).

I'm in no rush but I'm hoping to get something at a decent discount being that it's winter and I'm in MA.

Thanks again!
Mike

Mike -
I'm a marine surveyor and have access to a database of sold boats. In 2015 sales I found a 2002 2310 (hours not given) that sold in NJ for $22,000 and a 2004 with 110 hours that sold in VA for $28,500.

This was about the time that Yamaha had severe corrosion issues in their exhaust systems. Be sure you ask your mechanic about it. (If he doesn't know what you are talking about find another mechanic. The problem is well known.)

That is very helpful. Thanks Steve. Today I'm in the process of reaching out to surveyors and mechanics and will make sure to point out the exhaust issue and make sure it's one they are knowledgeable on.

Regarding the Yam corrosion issue, if you search the web you will see it is mostly associated with early 4-stroke Yam 225 hp (up until mid-2006, if memory serves me), best I can tell the HPDI's were not affected though obviously any engine used in salt water will have some corrosion. I know prices are a little higher in NE, and you're right - not a lot of used Parker WA's seem to come on the market.

Best of luck finding the boat that meets your needs!

Bryce

Yes the corrosion problems were with the early 4 strokes. I know I have one. Doing a bit of research today it is my opinion that you would be picking that boat up at a fair price it looks to be in great shape.

And if the mechanic gives you a green light on the engine and you seal the deal. Have the mechanic change the water pump, service the lower unit and throw in a new set of plugs, so you at ready to go. About $500.00

ALWAYS have a survey done on a major purchase! What you don't know CAN hurt you! A few hundred spent on a survey can save you thousands. It can also be a good bargaining chip if minor repairs are needed. If all is well, then the money spent is well worth the peace of mind :D

I def concur on the survey. A professional boat and engine tech survey is worth every penny - same person or separate.

Having purchased a few "older" boats myself, a couple of simple things I do on first inspection. I like to open the port over the gas tank and take a good up close whiff - should smell like foam not gas. If I ever smelled gas at that point, I was thru and on my way. Get a flashlight and eyeball in the bilge - all thru hull fittings, fuel lines etc - look for general conditions, corrosion, water in there? A little is ok - but if the boat is sitting in salt water - is it fresh water from the rain or salt from? Is there any "sheen" etc. Also better be NO smell of gas in the bilge.

If the boat is in the water - any unusual sheen in the water around the engine when down?

I like to take a good look above and below (if possible under gunwales etc) at all rod holders etc - especially any custom additions etc. Any changes since factory look professional - or DIY? DIY can mean trouble especially over time if not done right. The professional surveyor will look more closely at things like that. For yourself, take a quarter and "tap" around any non-factory additions - where anything is screwed down to the deck (like a cooler). You can get a sense by the tap sound if its "solid" or not sealed well and has water intrusion. I also take a look at the electrical panel. A birds nest? Well organized etc?.

This first look gives me a sense of the "general condition" of the boat. If it looks good and I think I want it - I bring in the professionals before I make an offer - or I make an offer contingent on the estimated cost to make right anything discovered in the survey.

I am a fisherman, not a mechanic - so I do not pretend to know much about engines. If it starts quickly and runs smooth, I defer to the professional for a closer look.

Always remember the actual age of the boat - a 2002 IS 14 years old - so expect "normal wear and tear", but some ways to check basic, general maintenance are easy to check in your own pre-survey.

Another one. Rub the gelcoat on the hull, deck, bow, console with your palm. Leave a white residue? If not, well maintained or recently well buffed and waxed, if not...needs a good buff and wax etc. Condition of bottom and bottom paint (if high and dry and you can see). How many layers (look for flaking to see layers).

These are the sorts of things I look at to give me a personal sense of general conditions. Nothing will replace the professional survey. Some of the technology they can use can see things you'd never see otherwise.

Side note - I have an 06 HPDI 200 on my 23 SE - love it. If you treat it well (simple annual tune up - lube, filters etc., yamalube, fuel treatment for ethanol, ring free) and USE IT - it will treat you well.

I bought a 2007 2310 about 3 years ago after searching for one for about 3 years before that! I absolutely love the 2310. I have taken the boat from in the river to 40 and 50 miles out to the big rock. I have done overnighters on the boat also fishing for the big drum in the Neuse River. Boat can do it all! I have a 250 yamaha. I get anywhere from 2 to 3 mpg depending on load weight and conditions. The boat is very heavy! When I am loaded down for an offshore trip(ice, tackle,4 grown men, and 150 gallons of fuel) the boat will struggle getting out of the water, but does ok once on plane. So it is my personal opinion that you are underpowered unless it is the modified vee in which the 200 would be ok i guess. When i bought mine i did everything everyone has mentioned except foe getting a marine surveyor. I just brought 2 guys with me and we crawled all over the boat for about an hour looking and testing everything. Good Luck! I know u will enjoy it.

Back