2005 Yamaha 4-stroke 225 / ethanol question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC

Reaction score
Overseas (but moving home to R.I in 2008)
As I approach my decision on buying a Parker CC, I am looking closely at a used 2005 23DVCC. The boat itself appears to be in fine shape, and I am considering paying a surveyor to examine it more closely, with the possibility that I will make an offer.
The boat as a 2005 225hp 4-stroke Yamaha w/ low hours.
This brings me to ask:
How has that engine generally performed in light of the ethanol issue?
I understand that ethanol became a problem starting that year, and many of that year's engines did not initially have a fuel-water separator.
Is there reason to worry about that engines' performance or longevity if a separator was installed later? Put another way, if the engine has a separator now, do I have any grounds for concern about it?
Thanks.

"Ethanol issue" covers a lot of ground!

In my experience there is virtually no issue with ethanol that can't be mediated with proper fuel filtration and regular use of Startron. I've had four strokes and two strokes. The fours were more sensitive to the water issue at first, then I installed a good Racor and the coughing simply went away

I, personally, would be much more concerned about whether the 225 is enough oomph for the boat. Sea trial it first if at all possible.

Congratulations if this is your new boat! You'll love it. I'd be stunned if the surveyor finds a problem with it unless it was simply abused.

The F225 is fine for that boat, in my opinion. I have a 2320 DVSC with 700+ hours and it has been a great combo. Top's in the high 30's (kts), cruises in the mid 20's. Fuel consumption is about 2 nmpg overall.

I have had my time with ethanol. There are threads on this site that cover it very well. You may also PM me.

Bottom line is that I now have 2 micron Racor water sep/filters, polished tank, new injectors and the strong hope that the issue is behind me.

Jeff

ChrisC":2k0x1g7s said:
Is there reason to worry about that engines' performance or longevity if a separator was installed later? Put another way, if the engine has a separator now, do I have any grounds for concern about it?

Use of a fuel/water seperator on outboard motors has always been a good idea. However, with the advent of E10 fuel blends, they have become a manditory item.

If the boat you are looking at has a seperator, you should not have any concern. It simply means the owner was smart, and was protecting his investment.

Parker has installed fuel filters/separators for at least 10 years on all their boats. Yamaha F-225's come factory equiped with water seperator under cowl.

Good luck w/your find 8)

Back