21 Deep Vee - Under Powered?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skorcher

Reaction score
Looking at an older 21 center console deep vee - it is equiped with a 150 hp two stroke.

I am concerned it is under gunned because of the DV?

What do you think?

-Bill

Skorcher":3fmp7ky8 said:
Kevin,
Its a Saltwater series II V6 150hp - 2 stroke.
Not sure it that is carbed or injected .......

Not certain when the 150's went to EFI. I tried Googling it and came up empty. Do you know what year the motor is on that boat?

The Yamaha SWS series motors are generally regarded as being one of the best of the breed out there.
While Googling for info on the 150's, I came across this from Pascoe...

http://www.docksidereports.com/YamahaOutboards.htm

I have a new 2100CC with a new F150 four stroke Yamaha. It's barely broken in. I'm getting 40+ mph at 6000 rpm with two guys, full fuel and gear aboard. It's performing exactly as it was described to me.

All the 200 would have done for me is add another 100 pounds to the stern load, burned more fuel and added a couple of mph at top end. And accelerated to plane a bit faster.

Waste of money.

A 150 may move it along nicely if it is only tou on board and minimal gear but all boats increase in weight over time. We don't think about small items weighing much and, by themselves they do not. But it will all add up over time.

I would suggest no less than 75% of the max rated hp for any small boat. The closer you are to the max rated hp, the better. The engine works less to get on plane and maintain cruising speed especially when you have people, gear, ice, etc. on board. Many dealers will either rig the boat with minimum hp or order them from the factory this way to lessen the "sticker shock" for the buying public. In all my years of boating I have never heard anyone complain about having too much hp but I have heard countless number lamenting the lack of hp.

What is the max hull HP for that model? Find that and multiply it by .75 and that will give you the recommended minimum HP. Don't know where I picked up that number, but the common convention is that the minimum HP for any hull is about 75% of the max.

JWL":c8mnaf36 said:
A 150 may move it along nicely if it is only tou on board and minimal gear but all boats increase in weight over time. We don't think about small items weighing much and, by themselves they do not. But it will all add up over time.

I would suggest no less than 75% of the max rated hp for any small boat. The closer you are to the max rated hp, the better. The engine works less to get on plane and maintain cruising speed especially when you have people, gear, ice, etc. on board. Many dealers will either rig the boat with minimum hp or order them from the factory this way to lessen the "sticker shock" for the buying public. In all my years of boating I have never heard anyone complain about having too much hp but I have heard countless number lamenting the lack of hp.

There's rarely more than three on my boat, and I work at keeping it from getting "loaded up" with gear I rarely use. Also, I don't fill the tank to more than half. That in itself saves about 325 pounds.

JWL":2jgmorbj said:
In all my years of boating I have never heard anyone complain about having too much hp but I have heard countless number lamenting the lack of hp.

Amen! Get that boat on the back side of some 4-6 footers, or load up with ice, crew, coolers and fish and see how that 150 does.

Back