2120SC w/F150 Yamaha gets water under cowling....HELP!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABRIG005

Reaction score
I have a 2120 SC and the Yamaha f150 gets water under the cowling everytimg I run her. Its in the same spot (starboard aft near the water/fuel line). I have no idea how this is happening and the dealer service personnel do not either. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it? I tried everything I can to figure out how the water is getting under there but could not determine. Thanks Anthony.

Do you have a sounder transponder or other transom mounted accessory spraying the engine while underway? Is this an older F150 with corroded water conduits in the cowling? Is the cowling seated properly? More data please! Will try to help brainstorm a solution.

its a brand new f150 (09) with 140 hours
i built a cover to prevent the transducer from splashing water up and it still gets water in...the cowling is sealed tight however when i take the cowling off the gasket is very loose and is easily removed...i sprayed all around with a garden hose and no water got in...

without looking at the wetness factor, i can only offer you this insight. every Yamaha motor i have owned including my current one, a little bit of water gets past the cowling gasket. the reason i know this is because of the salt deposits i find in the drain pan area under the engine. i assume that a little bit of water is dribbling around the gasket here and there and finding its way to the lowest point. what i am NOT finding is any water on any of the engine components or linkages.

hope this helps.

Double check the possibility of water getting in through the top of the cowl. My fittings up there are corroded pretty bad. I have to Boeshield them constantly. Check the hoses that run the water to the lower part of the cowl. Also check the tightness of the indicator stream hose where it attaches to the fuel/cooling water manifold (big silver thing above the stream outlet.

This may sound nuts but taste the water...is it salt or fresh. I assume you wash down the motor after each use and I suspect the water is from the air intake
Ray

Back