23 SE Powered by a Yami F150?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipstream

Reaction score
I've been looking around at boats and spoke to a gentleman w/a 23se that was powered by a F150. I think Parker recommends a 200 or 225, which makes me wonder of the 150 would do the job.

Does anybody have experience with this set-up? Or any thoughts.

Thanks

I would say that this boat is very under-powered,minimum 200 HP,ideal 225 HP.there is a thread here about an 1801 with a 115 being under powered so the fellow was going to request from dealer a sea trail with a 150 HP and this is an 18 footer.

Robert

I would say that this boat is very under-powered,minimum 200 HP,ideal 225 HP.there is a thread here about an 1801 with a 115 being under powered so the fellow was going to request from dealer a sea trail with a 150 HP and this is an 18 footer.

Robert

U-N-D-E-R-P-O-W-E-R-E-D :cry:

I would want at least 225-4, First choice would be 250-4

Fish,

Thats what I have on my 23 DVCC a 250 HP and it purrs/hums and flies like the wind,I would agree with you 100%,250 HP is the way to go.

Robert

Renowned Chesapeake Bay light tackle guide, Capt. Richie Gaines, gets a new 23 SE from Tri-State Marine each year. He returns the boat at the end of the year and gets a new boat the following spring.

I bought his 2001 23 SE at a Jan 2002 boat show. It has a 200-hp HPDI engine. That was Richie's preference at the time. For the past year or so, he has ordered his new boat with the 150-hp 4-stroke engine.

Richie uses his boat almost exclusively in the Chesapeake Bay. He typically does not need to travel large distances to find fish, and he doesn't need blistering top-end speed for his guiding business. I have a top end of 40 mph on my boat, but rarely run faster than 30 mph. I think he should be able to achieve 30-35 mph with the 150-hp engine. The reduced weight and lower horsepower should provide better fuel economy too. With oil hitting $90/barrel recently, that is a reasonable consideration.

J.A.Veil,

You make reasonable points. It depends where you boat. However, if you go out in the ocean, and through inlets, I wouldn't gamble on the F150. I bought an underpowered Whaler once, and won't do it again.

Mega,

You are right 100%,but a 150 HP just seems to be too little power for a boat which the dry weight is around 2850 lbs,I can understand someone using a 150 HP as a guide boat (business to make money so must watch fuel comsumption),but with a 225 HP or 200 HP boat would run smooth with power to spare.

Just my way of thinking,I can understand oil at $90.00 barrel and some folks freaking out,but we did not buy boats thinking of what it would cost to "enjoy" our day out on the water.So long as I can go out,I never complain about fuel cost.

Robert

Good input all around. Thanks.

I spoke with the broker and he had ordered the boat new. Apparently it was to save some money on the purchase. He says he had it doing 43mph, which made me a bit skeptical. And he acknowledged that it takes a bit longer to pop the boat up on a plane. I think it's also the reason the boat is priced in the low-to-mid $30's for a 2004.

I'd just as soon find the right boat with the right power, but may take a look and a trial and see 1st hand. I'd plan to use the boat in Narrangenset and Cape Cod bay. Mostly onshore, but with ability to shoot over to the Vineyard or Nantucket with the family.

I think this boat may also be tough when it comes time to resell whenever that happens.

Slip,

I have read here where some of the guys have gone out of their state and bought boats at considerable savings and most important as you stated "the right boat",look around until you know that you have looked everywhere,theres Parkers out there.Don't ever buy a boat that you are not 100% happy with because you will regret it.

Robert

J.A. Veil said:
Richie uses his boat almost exclusively in the Chesapeake Bay.
What many would consider underpowered Parkers seem to be at home on the Chesapeake. Bay Parker dealers order their stock w/small motors. Owners seem to be happy w/them. I know nothing about the Chesapeake...apparently the Bay is way different than SE NC ocean.

A 21DV Parker cabin boat with a 150-4 on it (a popular choice on the Bay) would hardly make it in the Cape Fear River on a bad day, unless of course it's propped to max out at 25 mph. :roll:

Seems to me underpowering is really false economy. Don't understand the weight argument. Can anyone really feel the weight of say, 1 extra person on their Parker? Let's face it, we buy Parkers 'cause the're HEAVY duty boats. :wink: Should one want/need to sell a Parker, he's limited to only the Bay area market.

Oh, BTY, Slipstream...I'll sell ya a 03 23DVCC for $10k more. 8)

I have a 2100CC with an F150. More "vee" than the boat in question, but about the same hull weight.

My boat tops out at 41 mph at 6000 rpm with two or three aboard, half to two thirds a tank of fuel, two coolers, and fishing gear. This via my Garmin GPS over a two mile run.

On the Bay, I typically cruise at 25 mph at 3900 rpm. I get 30 mph at 4500 rpm.

I'm well pleased with the performance of the 150 on my boat, and very happy I didn't pop for the extra money and extra weight of an F200.

I have the 23SE, with a fiberglass hardtop and a 200 HP four stroke yamaha. I think this setup is great. I would think a 150hp fourstroke would be a bit underpowered if you were going to be running open waters or inlets where you would need to potentially power up to stay up on a wave or power thru something. I would say that there is NO WAY that the23SE is going to do 43MPH with a 150, which I think you agreed had you skeptical.

My boat, with the T-Top and full Fuel, does about 34 knots (not miles) at 5200 with factory props. I cruise at about 26 knots with a burn of 3.4 MPG. Depending on the intended use of the boat, I would say you could get away with a 150 if you were only to use the boat inside. I might think about resale potential with a 150 though.

I do wish I had a little less weight on the transom, as I cannot even get the 200HP 4 stroke all the way out of the water when tilted up. The 100 pound lighter HPDI might have been a better option.

The generally accepted minimum HP for a hull is 75% of its max hull HP rating. Have read this in multiple places from multiple sources. It is either a widely held myth or has some veracity to it.

I have a 2007 23se with a 150 4-stroke. I use it in the Chesapeake mostly in Tangier Sound but also at the CBBT and the Atlantic ocean out of Ocean City, Md. It is all the engine I need for this bare boat (no T-Top). Using the trim tabs I can be on plane within 2 boat lenghts. With the reduced weight I can go as shallow as my previous 18se. Top speed is 34mph which I rarely use. Better fuel economy and lower purchasing price. I have found it to be an ideal package. I did consult with Mr. Gains and Parker prior to purchase.

At yamaha-motor.com, you can see performance bulletins on the 23SE (and others) powered w/ various four strokes. At least with my boat, these ratings were spot on. Note that they don't even show a rating for the 23SE w/the F150. They show one w/ the F200. It looks like the F200 is the way to go.

I had concerns about the 21SE (400lbs lighter) being underpowered when I ordered one with the F150. The members on this site eased my mind during my 2 months of suffering as I waited to get my new boat. With a large t-top, 50 gals. of fuel, and my 210 lb ass, I hit 43 at 5700. I cruise at 27-28 at 4000. Couldn't be happier.

To achieve 43 with the 23SE/F150?

1. You'll need at least an F150 while towing it down the highway. Your dashboard GPS will give you the most accurate reading. :D

or

2. In the buff with 6 gals of fuel and a 25kt tailwind....That was TAILwind, not break-wind. No photos please!

Back