2520 anchor windlass problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STACK

Reaction score
The Lewmar anchor windlass on my 2520 doesn't want to crank up or down. I have power to the on/off swith and to the up/down swith and it seems to be drawing power when I attempt to raise or lower, but motor in windlass does not operate. What am I missing? Anyone ever experience a similar problem?

My windlass had failed, don't know if it was a Lewmar, but I found that the brushes on the motor were not making contact with the rotor. This windlass was simply a starter as you would find in a car engine, i.e. a DC motor with brushes.

Thanks. How old was your windlass? Mine is a 2006.

Now you are testing my memory. I believe it was only a couple years old at the time. If I remember correctly, there is a spring that pushes on the brush to maintain contact with the rotor. I can't remember exactly but the brush was caught in it's holder and didn't allow the spring to push the brush onto the rotor. The brush is made of carbon and I shaved it a little to allow the spring to push the brush onto the rotor and trouble fixed.

Good Luck

I had the same problem, took out the motor had it checked everthing worked great. The guy said it looked brand new. The switch was the problem, yes you'll get power to it, but the solenoid goes bad. It's about $70.00. Contact your lewmar rep.

Thanks for the info. Is the solenoid part of the windlass assembly or located somewhere between the swith and solenoid?

I have a 2006 2320 parker with a Simpson horizon 500 vertical windless. It started acting up by intermittently working. Thought it might be the switch so I replaced the switch and still nothing. I have power getting to the switch and the breaker, any ideas on where to go from here?

I had the same issue with my Lewmar Pro-sport windless on my 21 Parker SC this season. Took it off the boat, disassembled it and found all the gears were rusted. cleaned them with a wire brush and dremel tool, reassembled it, greased it, and it works fine now. Based upon my research, Lewmar doesn't seal the housings very well and you get a lot of water intrusion; especially aroud the motor wires. I re-sealed mine with silicone. So far so good.

When using the windless do not keep pressing on the up and down button. Briefly touch the button. If you keep pushing on the button the windless will not function.

Anyone had to replace the 2006 Horizon 500 windless? if so, were you able to find a replacement with the same bolt patern so you didn't have to drill new mounting hole in you boat?

Latest posts

Back