2520 Cabinet sleeper bench addition for the Horndog Part 1

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopShot25

Reaction score
2520 Cabinet sleeper bench addition for the Horndog Part 1

Here is my latest project for the Horndog and some of the obstacles I had to overcome.

179841-1424119317-5ab2d2205d1371946402fd51469edf5e.jpg

I wanted to make the 48-inch bench seat into a comfortable bunk, as well as make it higher so my guests could actually see out the windows. This would give me a place to sleep where I could get up and down through out the night and easily keep an eye on my surroundings without bothering anyone else aboard. That, and the fact that gas is going out of sight, I can fit an extra guy on longer trips to share the costs. This also gives me a place to install my 15-gallon fresh water tank.

I must admit that although I had an idea of what I wanted to do, after going to the Fred Hall Fishing Tackle and Boat Show, I changed my mind a little. After talking with Mark Wisch of Pacific Edge Tackle, I changed my plans. Mark has spent a bunch of time in small boats and he has some pretty good insight into what a person really needs to make everything come together in a true fishing machine. He also has the exact same Parker 2520 I have. Actually I have the same one he has, but who’s counting. Anyway, I liked the way he has the end of his cabinet swing up and lock into place so I used that idea on mine also. I was going to leave mine extended (solid), but I was afraid someone, someday, would lean against it and with the help of a good wave, well it might not hold up.

So I sat down with my list of essentials
1. Comfortable place for me to sleep
2. Raise the height to help everyone see out the windows
3. Microwave
4. Fresh water tank
5. Tackle storage
6. Storage, for large things like pots and pans
7. Storage, spot for things like keys and wallets
8. Drawers for tableware and stuff like that
9. Extra storage behind for hard to store things

If I was going to spend this much time, energy, and money, it had to have all these things or it just wasn’t going to be worth it. So started drawing up my new bench and when I finally got all the essentials to fit in somehow, I started to build it. The only thing I could not work in was a place to put my Honda 2000 generator. I was kind of bummed, but you know the deal with small boats, you just can’t have everything.

Now that I had my design, I started cutting the ½” plywood into all the various size pieces. I should add that all through my projects I always look to keep things as light as reasonably possible. So I like to build things using dado joints for added strength. I try to make everything kind of interlock it seems to help make things stronger and they handle the pounding of a boat much better. It also helps line things up during assembly. After gluing, screwing and clamping everything together it was time to cut the holes out of the front. I use a router to cut all the inside holes as I like that it leaves a cleaner edge and is more precise.

179844-1424120790-6ecdb3cbf3210230d975b27488dc088b.jpg

I also lined most of the inside corners with fiberglass cloth to ensure overall strength.

179845-1424122322-9bd06b8b3784f3e5189f5de3bf6424ce.jpg

I covered the front, and side facing the bow with cloth also. My thinking, although not from experience, was that it would be a lot more durable if it were hit by anything sharp. If it was just painted or gel coated, I felt it would dent the wood and chip the coating. Also I am learning to play with fiberglass and it sounded like a cool way to go. The hardest part by far was applying the gel coat. Patching something is easy compared to actually coating something. I ended up buying a spray gun just for gel coat and that was not much easier, although it did get the job done.

I made the front and sides of the drawers with ½” plywood and the bottom and backs are ¼”. After all the messing with the gel coat I decided to just paint the drawers. This drawer is only covered in primer at the moment.

179847-1424122424-f94153c167d0ea3e5892813de1e31220.jpg

The top is ¾” inch plywood and shaped to fit the side of the pilothouse. My son held up the end that folds down when not in use.

179846-1424122386-d2189b0e118dca97daea7135cb4c2c53.jpg

I am also using teak for the trim to hold the main cushion in place. The other two bottom cushions will have starboard for a base. I though the teak on Mark’s looked cool and matched the teak in the boat as well so I went with that idea. I like challenges, but bending teak turned out to be more of a challenge then I thought. Actually I’m not even done yet but I think I can do it now. I guess I will have to address that further in part 2.

I also needed to get 12 volt and 110 volt power to the port side of the boat. I have a custom made battery compartment that I made in the center of the floor of the pilothouse, so I already have wire runs to there. Now I have to go another 24 inches or so to the port side under the deck. I sent an email to Parker and explained what I wanted to do. I wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything there that I could damage. They sent me a drawing of my stringers for that section of my boat and told me that I should be fine with my project. I decided to run a piece of 1” hose for my wire path. I cut the hole in the top first so I could assess what I was dealing with underneath. After checking it out, I decided that the best way would be to put in a 4” inspection plate so I would be able to seal up the wood under the deck properly. The hose for my wires comes out between the two red cables on the left side of the battery compartment. I put a wrench in the end but you can barely see it in the picture.

179849-1424123269-696214b8c030f67af071ff5cbd5afb16.jpg

This picture gives you a good look at the layout, and also one of the brackets I made to secure the front end of the cabinet. I’m using 1”x1” aluminum angle for the brackets to hold the cabinet down to the floor. I also made a heavy-duty bracket of stainless steel for the front end support, shown in the top middle of the next picture.

179848-1424123235-37c0eac32f016172e42940a976e3b582.jpg

179850-1424123303-b12ad4b9c91e22a8a7b353371acab45c.jpg

As it turned out the stringer under the deck did not go all the way to the top, and I could run the wires over it. So I did not really need the inspection plate. It did however make it easier, and now I have a small storage place to maybe hide valuables out of sight.

179851-1424124005-76a26446313be908473bb5216177b33d.jpg

After posting a question here about my water tank, I decided to build a small enclosure to house the tank. So the thought process began and I came up with what I thought to be my best choice. I’ve also shown the bracket I made because I decided to place the pump on the backside of the water tank bracket so it will be out of the way. I can slide the pump in and out for any kind of service it may need. The starboard base is angled so it will just drop into the groves of the sidepieces. I am going to zip tie the hoses and wire together on the top of the pump so they won’t move around and will lift out as one solid unit.

179852-1424124037-853d107170b518c5fbcc64566c131fee.jpg

With a little luck I should have the bench in the boat this weekend and then I can do all the finishing touches and post part 2

Attachments

• 4-16-05 new boat 068med.jpg
    4-16-05 new boat 068med.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 426
Well thought out ! Cant wait to see the finished project. Jeffnick engineered a custom bench/berth in the Mokee Dugway, and it makes nights aboard very comfortable. Just sit up to see out or answer alarms.

Slick design. I've drafted a design of a tackle station to replace the port-side pedestal seat box on my 2002 2510. Was wondering how to cut the openings for the drawers. Gluing/screwing it all together BEFORE cutting the openings with a router is something I hadn't thought about. Good idea.

Thanks.

Dave

aka

Wow... One of the nicest project posts I've seen. Nice job!
Looking forward to Part 2.

I am on the same line with Kevin that is a awesome job!!!I am very very impressed with that for sure!!!Would love to see finish job on that looks great now but i know it will be great when done for sure!!!!

John, that looks like you coming right along, wayyyyyy cool !
Craig

Guys, thanks for the nice comments. I worked on the boat all weekend and finally got the cabinet in the boat. I spent about 4 hours Sunday morning just sanding, polishing and waxing the silly thing. I still need to finish painting the drawers and add the teak, but at least it’s in. I will also need an upholstery guy to make the cushions. Can’t wait to see how much that’s going to cost.

TheOtherLine, no I’am not a carpenter, actually I’m a film technician, but I have been making things all my life. I kind of picked it up from my dad. That was back when if you wanted something nice you had to make it yourself.

Porkchunker, you can use a straight edge clamped in place and although time consuming you can be very accurate with the router. If you plan on making something this way, I can tell you it’s easier if you cut it out close with a saber saw or sawsall or something, and then clean it up with the router. It just cuts better, and you don’t have to fight it if your not taking off that much wood. Also plan ahead so you don't end up without much surface to support the router.

Hey john, I have a great guy here in Marina Del Rey, call me or email me your # and I will get you his, the number is at my shop and i am home now, he made the cushions for the set up we did on our boat and just made me all new sleeping cushions for the bunks , sweet job and the cost was really fair, but you would have to drive up to Culver City ! As that is where his shop is, and they always do what and when they say, at least so far !
Craig

John,,,

Wow! What a great addition to the ClassicParker Knowledgebase! :)

Very detailed approach, leading us through the requirements and design.. look forward to seeing photos of the finished project.

Thanks for taking the time to document and post. It takes discipline to remember to stop at certain points in the project and take photos...you almost have to have to story-board the project in your mind as you build it! Kinda like what you would expect a Film Technician to do :shock: :shock: :roll:

,,John

hey john

i have been trying to get a hold of you for at least 8 months to try to get a project going in my parker 2520 like u and mark have done with captain bunk.

mark put in my tank and windless , can u give me a call....

jamie thinnes
seasons sportfishing
714-206-6146

Hey John, would you mind reposting the pictures again please? They're no longer showing up and I would really like to see them! :)

rsrutkowski":2k36bs2m said:
:cry: Admin
I can't open photos of this project by Horndog....HELP...
Macbook & i Mac

It's not your computer.
The site where the photos were originally hosted has gone away.
That is why the links are broken.
If the photos still exist, perhaps John can repost them directly here to CP.

Just saw this sorry about the pictures. I originally posted the pics on the Allcoast sportfishing web site and they are gone now. Let me see what I can do.

Thanks John
Really well done...was considering a similar set up for "OMEGA lll"
It looks like the same size factory bench seat as my 2120SC

Back