2520 Cabinet sleeper bench addition for the Horndog Part 2

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopShot25

Reaction score
2520 Cabinet sleeper bench addition for the Horndog Part 2, Better late than never!

Well I’ve got it basically finished. Except for the *#@$&^! teak part that I can’t seem to get any cooperation from. I’ll finish that part one of these days, but at least I can use it until I get it finished. I just got the cushions back from the upholstery guy and although I’m fairly happy it’s not exactly what I wanted. I wanted the front of the cushion to have a firm ridge or bump like the seat that I took out. I like the way it helps keep you in the seat when the boat rolls or pitches. So I bring the upholstery guy over to the house so I can show him while I explain exactly what I want, and he says no problem. To make a long story short I guess I’m too picky. But when I pay someone to do something, I expect to get what we discussed. But knowing that about how most people do things, and how I am, That’s why I’ve found it easier to just make most of this stuff myself. So I guess I will have to find a sewing machine so I can make the rest of the cushions I will need for the boat. But that’s a whole new project for another time.

Here’s the cabinet, I have not installed the microwave yet because I have not set up the 110-volt system yet and I would rather use the space to store other stuff right now.
1107179-28-08%20031-1506123-med.jpg

and the cabinet without the backrest, the top measures 27 and narrows down to 24 inches wide by 73 inches long.
1107179-28-08%20035-1506124-med.jpg

I’ve decided how I want to run the fresh water hoses so I will be connecting my fresh water tank and pump shortly. Then I have one last small cabinet to serve as my electrical panel to follow. Then I will be able to hook up my shore power and have 110 on the boat.

Here are a few extra pictures with other angles.
1107179-28-08%20024-1506125-med.jpg

1107179-28-08%20033-1506126-med.jpg

1107179-28-08%20020-1506127-med.jpg

1107179-28-08%20034-1506128-med.jpg

This came out as good or better then I imagined. I’m not sure it’s worth all the work to make it nice, but now that it’s done I’m a happy camper. My biggest recommendation to anyone would be to raise this seat anyway you can. It takes everyone from a spectator to a participant instantly. My first trip with the new bench made my buddy just sit and smile, and if you knew Bill that says it all.

Here I am "in Bill's seat".
1107179-28-08%20038-1506129-med.jpg

Congratulations on a beautiful job. Hopefully that is a legal adult beverage in the glass you are holding... :) Now go fishing and enjoy the fruits of your labor. At least you can go in January out there without bundling up like the Michelin Man to stay warm like us in NE. :lol: Saw the progression of this project when I first came to this site, super job of sharing it with the rest. Thanks

Perfect,
when I get home later I will take a pic of what I did to make it so my son does not fall off the bunk in the middle of the night, I think you might like it, will post it later today, he fell off 2 times in rocky conditions, so we had to make a bar that could be removed and keep him from rolling off ! We keep the bar up on the rod holders out of the way while playing !

This is what I did so in the middle of the night we no longer heard a thump :) and the thump was my son rolling onto the pilot house floor, needless to say he was not laughing :)

Attachments

• Boat Rail 006.JPG
    Boat Rail 006.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 2,278
  • Boat Rail 007.JPG
    Boat Rail 007.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,278
  • Boat Rail 008.JPG
    Boat Rail 008.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,276
  • Boat Rail 009.JPG
    Boat Rail 009.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,276
I am constantly amazed at some of the great ideas I see here in the Projects section, especially with cabin interior modifications. I wish I had your fabrication skillz.... :)

Excellent job! 8)

tara11":2r0tmj8u said:
This is what I did so in the middle of the night we no longer heard a thump :) and the thump was my son rolling onto the pilot house floor, needless to say he was not laughing :)
You stick him in the boots ... :?: ?

;)

John,

Fantastic Job! Wonderful documentation. 8) An inspiration to us all, and full of lots of little features that are the hallmark of great design engineering.

Thanks again for posting this project.

John

Thanks guys for the kind words. This site is all about contributions, and I just want to help like everyone else.

It is nice that we have good weather most of the year out here. I am taking my two older brothers out for their first time on the boat, to our local island, “Catalina” tomorrow for a couple of days. Should be really nice weather. It’s supposed to get up to 90 degrees today.

Craig, I like the rail you used. I’m not sure I can do that on mine as my pilothouse seems to be a little different then yours. How come when someone has a great simple idea, I can’t use it because of small differences in manufacturing? It just goes to show, you can't have everything.

How about a stainless or aluminum 'loop' with a pair of verticals that could be dropped into a pair of rod-holder style receiver holes in the base?
Something like you would find on a hospital cot...

John
Have fun at the island, the weather should be great, and now you are setup even more, now we will expect to run into you and the misses out there :)

Kevin, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Can you describe it a little more.

Jamie, your customers would love to sit a little higher, if you can do it.

Craig, I have two more weeks vacation to use so the wife and I will be out there soon. Would really like to hook up with you and say hi. Maybe a BBQ or something?

Good luck to you all.

TopShot25":3d3lsa9r said:
Kevin, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Can you describe it a little more.

Something like this?

4732_1.jpg

Any local fabricator that does t-tops and boat railings should be able to make something like this easilly.

yes john , that has been the down fall for sure for that bench seat... people like to see out the windows... i hope to get something made soon!

thanks again for posting , she is a beauty...!

Top shot

That's awesome. What was the approximate price tag on that build?

The bench was mounted with two pieces of 1X1 inch aluminum angle. A piece is in one of the pictures in the part 1

The cabinet cost me about 350 to make and about 400 for the cushions.

Back