2520 - Modified V or Deep V?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmjewett

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm headed for a sea trial on a 2004 2520 XL (modified V, don't know 14 or 16 degree) in a few weeks. Love the boat. Only thing that could gum up the works is if the ride is too rough. I've seen some comments but I'm hoping for some really specific help. Here are the guidelines:

We're talking NewEngland waters.

I look at the forecast first - if it says 2-4' seas I don't usually go and I certainly don't go far enough to care about a little pounding coming home. But we all get surprised by the weather occaisionally.

I'm not a speed guy. The boat has a 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. Generall I'm going to be looking for most econcomical cruise.

I'm thinking that the modified V will be comfortable (no heavy pounding, not BANG-BANG-BANG) at 20-22 knots in seas of 2' or less.

If I can cruise at 16-18 in 3' seas, that's fine. Modest pounding but no heavy crashing.

And if I have to slow down to 10-12 knots in 4' seas that fine too. At that speed I wouldn't expect to pound so much as spend a lot of time going up and down the escalator.

So, I'm looking for comments - particularly from owners of 2520 Modified Vs. What speed do you normally run in seas of 2' or less? 3'? 4'? How's the ride at those speeds? Anybody think I'll have trouble holding a plane at 16-18 knots in 3' seas?

Thanks - I need all the help I can get!

I've owned both the Mod V and Deep V. (deep V recently totalled thanks to Sandy!) Mod V is great on nice day, drifts great and is economical on fuel. Run her in a slight chop and you will feel it. Trim Tabs are a must. DV right is great, eats up a chop at 18Kts, not much pounding compared to the MOD V. One thing i didn't like was the fuel usage. had a 250 yamaha 2stroke and it sucked. 1 to 1.3 mpg... Fishing new england waters, I'd go with the DV without hesitation.

tmjewett":2ajv6huz said:
I'm headed for a sea trial on a 2004 2520 XL (modified V, don't know 14 or 16 degree) in a few weeks.

A 2004 XL will be the 16 degree hull.

tmjewett":2ajv6huz said:
So, I'm looking for comments - particularly from owners of 2520 Modified Vs.
Anybody think I'll have trouble holding a plane at 16-18 knots in 3' seas?

I have the 14 degree MVSC (1996 model) and I can stay on plane in big chop going as slow as 10kts.
But... you won't do that with stock 12x12 trim tabs.
I upgraded to 24x9's and it made a BIG difference in both the ride, and the ability to run sloppy seas without pounding.
If you are pounding in an MV hull, you are trying to go too fast and/or do not have enough tab.

One advantage the MV has (as VMAN noted) is fuel economy.
Point is, the deeper the vee, the more HP it takes (and the more fuel it uses). There is no free lunch.

Back