2520 vs 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aircoastie

Reaction score
My wife and I fish a 2320 with a single 225 in the tuna waters south of the New Orleans river delta. We are almost constantly fighting a 3-5 foot close spaced chop in the winter months. We get beat up in these seas and often can not make more then 10kts.

There is a used 2520 of the same year and similar hours with twin 150’s here locally. I am considering trading up to this vessel. I like the security of twin engines and a larger boat. Can any of you guys tell me how much better an 05 2520 DV with twin 150’s would ride then my 05 2320. Also, with more then four people on my boat, full gas, and 250 quarts of ice, we are a bit underpowered in terms of torque. Does the 2520 with the twins have much more power given the increased drag of a larger hull and more weight?

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated, I love this site.

I can't answer your question specifically but I am sure other members here can.

I have a 2530 with twin 200's and don't feel at all underpowered. Than being said, I know there are few other 2530's here with 150's and their owners have not complained about power.

Travis,

I can tell you that my 2520 DVSC with twin F-150’s has plenty of power. I have it loaded pretty heavy, and with a tower and 80-gallon bait tank, I don’t see the need for more power. I have taken the boat on harbor cruises with 10 people aboard and I have never ever thought the boat needed more power. JMHO, but I would not want the extra weight back there either.

As to the ride, I’m not sure any small boat will do well in what your describing. Not sure exactly on the 3-5 close chop your referring to, but out west I don’t have a problem with chop until it gets on a 3 foot or better swell. Put a nasty chop on top of close swells and I got to slow down too, but that’s only if you’re going straight into it. I do know that in my 2520 with a (notch transom), I can put the bow down to plow through and still maintain a decent speed most of the time. I would think you would need to ride in one to really make the jump with confidence.

By my signature line you can see that I have pushed the 23 hull with both the f225 and the f250.

First, IMO the 2520DV w/twin f150s would be the ultimate fishing machine in my book. That is a great combo. In my case, I downsized from a boat w/twin f225s (non-Parker) mainly due to the cost of fuel and maintenance x2 expenses.

But, if a bigger sled is in order, then the 2520DV would be my dream boat. I did buy a couple of "friends of Rollo" raffle tickets....my fingers are crossed.

Now, about your 2320. Engine on a bracket I assume. I cruise in rough GOM conditions (short seas) like you do up there. I am telling you, I cruise comfortably at 18-20 mph on plane when it is rough. The way I was able to do that is by adding a Permatrim to the A/V plate. It dramatically changes the pitch axis of the hull. The pitch axis is closer to the engine now instead of where the hull ends at the stern. Rides like a longer hull. The rear end comes right up.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

jim

I assume your 2320 is a DV. Having said that, I don't think there's going to be a big difference in ride due to the larger hull.

ScoopsAhoy":cm613dx3 said:
I assume your 2320 is a DV. Having said that, I don't think there's going to be a big difference in ride due to the larger hull.

Big difference in the ride!
I have a 2320SC and go on a 2520 quite a bit.
The 25 is a lot heavier ,wider, soft riding boat!

are the 150s on the boat 2 strokes or four strokes? the 150 2 strokes on our 2530 push the boat just fine, loaded to the teeth like you describe. however, the twin 150 fours on my buddys 2520 XLD seem a bit sluggish with 6 guys, ice, gear, the annual output of the budwieser brewery, etc :D :D . sea trial first, loaded with the gear you'd take; offer to pay the owner for expenses on a trip with his boat, that way, you can get a true feel of how the boats gonna do what youd like it to.

Back