2820 sport cabin

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Ronnie

Reaction score
Anyone here have one ?
In an HONEST opinion, how is the ride ?
Parker is not exactly know for it's great ride like a Hydrasport or Contender, as most would say "they pound"
I'm wondering how much better the 2820 rides over my 2320..
I have a love / hate thing with my 2320 !
Love the boat for the most part, looks, built like a tank, easy to clean and maintain ect...
but the ride is night and day compared to some other boats I go on all the time (a 2006 Hydrasport 2900 CC is one )
I need a bigger boat for my chartering and have been planning on a 28 downeast in my near furure, but I haven't settled on one that gives me both speed and fuel economy.
And the deep draft on a downeast could/would be an issue where we striper fish in shallow/rocky areas.
I'm thinking trading my fully loaded 2320 towards a fully loaded 2820xld (with tower) I would get the most back out of what I have invested in my 2320!
Thanks

My father fishes a 28 Parker fairly regularly. He sings the praises of the boat. . They fish offshore out of Cape May NJ all the way to the canyons. He claims it has a nice ride, is fast with the f250's and he loves the HUGE cockpit. I cannot comment directly other than that.

Capt. Ronnie":druatnro said:
Anyone here have one ?
In an HONEST opinion, how is the ride ?
Parker is not exactly know for it's great ride like a Hydrasport or Contender, as most would say "they pound"
I'm wondering how much better the 2820 rides over my 2320..
I have a love / hate thing with my 2320 !
Love the boat for the most part, looks, built like a tank, easy to clean and maintain ect...
but the ride is night and day compared to some other boats I go on all the time (a 2006 Hydrasport 2900 CC is one )
I need a bigger boat for my chartering and have been planning on a 28 downeast in my near furure, but I haven't settled on one that gives me both speed and fuel economy.
And the deep draft on a downeast could/would be an issue where we striper fish in shallow/rocky areas.
I'm thinking trading my fully loaded 2320 towards a fully loaded 2820xld (with tower) I would get the most back out of what I have invested in my 2320!
Thanks

Some years ago, on a really miserable, rough day, I got a ride and drove one of the only Parker 28 footers with a big diesel I/O. The cabin on that boat was different from the one on the 28-footers today, but I believe the hull was about the same.

Anyway, that boat rode well in the rough stuff...four to five footers, breaking, with lots of wind.

Last year I road in the latest 28-footer under similar conditions and I thought the ride was rough.

I think the difference was, the diesel 28 footer had the heavy engine amidships, connected to the drive by a jack shaft. That forward weight helped the boat push through the slop.

That's MY opinion.

Ronnie -

Just FYI. Don's Marine in Tiverton, Rhode Island has a 2005 28 sport cabin for sale for $99K. It's loaded with electronics, has twin F250's with only 40 hours. The boat is a dealer demo and it has been for sale for probably 1 year anyways.

Just in case your interested. Plus you probably can get a nice demo ride out of it so you can see what the 28 footer is all about.

Matt

Hakr~ where did you drive that 28 from? south jersey area? if so, then that is my boat!

Uncle Matt~ I just saw that boat up there myself....very nice looking boat!

As for my two cents on this...I love my 28 although i do have an extended cabin with an io diesel. Its a lot heavier than a sport cabin with outboards, but the hull is solid. with the diesel, 20knts no prob on a lake or 20knts in 5ft seas heading offshore. smooth and dry

I have one with twin 250 Yamahas and love it. Fast and has acres of room. The ride inside behind the wheel can be harsh, the ride in back is much better. I had a 23 cat that rode smoother, but love the Parker. If I was going long distances on a daily basis in a heavy chop then I might go for a deeper v boat.

FishAC":2t1ug0cx said:
Hakr~ where did you drive that 28 from? south jersey area? if so, then that is my boat!

Uncle Matt~ I just saw that boat up there myself....very nice looking boat!

As for my two cents on this...I love my 28 although i do have an extended cabin with an io diesel. Its a lot heavier than a sport cabin with outboards, but the hull is solid. with the diesel, 20knts no prob on a lake or 20knts in 5ft seas heading offshore. smooth and dry

Factory demo days at Tri State Marine in Deale, MD, was where I got my ride on the diesel I/O.

hakr":2mwy19ri said:
Factory demo days at Tri State Marine in Deale, MD, was where I got my ride on the diesel I/O.

Tri-State Marine does their 'factory demo days' for Parker and Grady the weekend following the Annapolis in-water boat show.
For anyone who would like to compare and contrast, this is an excellent opportunity to see all of the boats at the dock and available for sea trials.

I like it. does it ride like a 32 foot albemarle, no. but its good enough in most sea conditions so long as you slow down and use the tabs. As you know the wheel is forward. so you will feel the bumps more. overall itys a very solid, fast, seaworthy boat.

Parker has built a number of different 28's in the past, but I'm not sure about a 2830.

A call to the factory could answer that question tho.
252-728-5621

I have to say that I have fished many different styles of boat growing up and have owned four personally with different setups. I had a 27 Contender which rode like a beast in the slop at 40+knts; however, if you slowed beneath that your teeth would fall out. I also had a 23ft Hydrasport which to be quite honest was a POS. I recently have had a 2320 Sport Cabin which I sold for my 2007 2520 XLD. You have got to realize that Pilot House boats are just different. You sit down much closer to the hull entry point and yes it can rattle and beat you up. Sometimes with autopilot tracking GPS i sit in the jump seat bheind the helm to keep an eye out. Just those couple of feet make a difference. In the cockpit I would take the Parker anyday over any CC. Just a different type of boat, but I know when weather hits I can shut my door and feel safe and sound.
Just my 2cents!

I talked wiyh a guy last week who has a 2820 (I thought he still had it and I could talk him into a ride on it)
:(
He got rid of it a year ago, said it rode like a POS !!!
So much for that idea!

If you take a ride on it, and like it even with what he said, there is one leftover as well at 3A Marine in Hingham. Has the second station tower option.

Also, for more on the 2830 they stopped making. It had a separate head in part of the vee and picked up more of the length in the cockpit, over the 2530.

Dana

One thing to remember... Driving a Parker sport cabin is a learned skill.

Try to drive it like a 28 Southport and it will beat you to death.
Drive it with a softer hand on the throttle and proper trim, and it can be your dream boat.

It's all about what you want in a boat. :wink:

Megabyte":2og8494z said:
One thing to remember... Driving a Parker sport cabin is a learned skill. :wink:

I am glad someone finally said that!

Ronnie: You are probably the Tred Barta of NE when it comes to fishing and boat maintenance/repair etc. However, a PH boat is like a fine wine, not everyone can appreciate the attributes a boat like this has to offer.

There is likely a large DV CC out there with your name on it. Good luck.

jim

Megabyte":10qz7g5e said:
One thing to remember... Driving a Parker sport cabin is a learned skill.

Try to drive it like a 28 Southport and it will beat you to death.
Drive it with a softer hand on the throttle and proper trim, and it can be your dream boat.

It's all about what you want in a boat. :wink:

You know I don't know how many times I have run to the fishing grounds and feeling like a Pounded Parker Pilot after coming off plane and have my guests/crew note how smooth the ride in the cockpit was. :roll:

Ride in the back of the boat is definitely smoother. I can be taking a good chop and feeling it up in the wheelhouse, and I look back to whoever is sitting in the transom jumpseats or even the folding chairs on the deck and they're not moving at all.

Back