2820 xld ride

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimw

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am serioulsy thinking about getting a new 2820 XLD with 2 X 250 yamaha 4 strokes this coming summer. I'm very lucky to be looking for such a boat. I really like what I have seen, but have not ever ridden in one. I will test drive one before and if I get one. I want something that will get me out and in without getting the **** beat out of me. I currently own a 26' CC with a 19* DR at transom and a 225 Yamaha 4 stroke hangin off the back. I typically run in heavy chop around 20mph, moderate chop about 25mph and light to smooth 30mph.

My question is how does this boat ride in the chop? It has a 21* DR which seems nice for cutting through the chop. This boat will be used in the gulf of mexico and there just about is ALWAYS a nasty chop either heading out or in. I'm talking very short period power chop with steeper wave hights with waves around 2-3'. Don't get me wrong we get some beautiful days out there with smooth seas expecially in the afternoon when it lays down.

I have seached for this info on the site and didn't find much. I am also aware of the wide load issue while trailering this 28. I'll be using this boat to go offshore fishing and diving. 100 mile runs out for a day or 2. And I want to do overnight trips with my family to some local spots.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jim

the reason I bought the boat was for the comfort inside the cabin, no wind, spray, etc... If I was solely concerned about cutting through chop, it wouldn't have been my first choice. The ride in a head sea is decent with full tabs deployed so long as you slow down. Otherwise I'm completely satisfied. This is my third boat, second Parker. Good luck.

Parker 28":20ozmgye said:
the reason I bought the boat was for the comfort inside the cabin, no wind, spray, etc... If I was solely concerned about cutting through chop, it wouldn't have been my first choice. The ride in a head sea is decent with full tabs deployed so long as you slow down. Otherwise I'm completely satisfied. This is my third boat, second Parker. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply I greatly appreciate it. I am looking at this boat for the exact same reasons as you. Comfort, dry and no wind. Also a/c and heat capabilities. Not to mention all of that room.

The only other closed pilothouse that I've been in was a chawk 25 MV. That is what got me thinking on getting a pilothouse.... pilothouses are awesome. Especially since I am an avid diver and this will primarily be a dive boat. I know the MVs can really beat you in a head sea... but heck, if it is rough it is rough for all. My other choice is completely different....(used 31 contender cuddy) but I really want a closed cabin and I don't care about going fast. I have to take my wife and 1.5 year old son into concideration on my next boat.

Anyway, thanks again.

Jim

Parker":4j7dbjsn said:
Jim - where do you keep your ditch bag? :lol:

The majority of my safety gear is in the center console which includes 2 hours of O2. The epirb is in the leaning post. Being divers we have all sorts of floating devices on the boat... Our water temps usually run between 68 and 82. The parker will get a life raft stocked and will keep it up top in back of the radar. My usual runs with my current boat is 80 - 130 miles rt. So, like 40 - 50 miles out. Have never felt scared or unsafe... and my crews safety is the most important.

How and where does everyone mount their transducers? I want a 1KW thru hull. Can the factory do this??? And I don't want it placed where the trailer will take it out.

Thanks,

Jim

Sitting that far forward, in any boat, will not offer a similar ride to a center console, where you sit in the back half of the boat.

Parkers are not known for their ride like a Regulator or Contender, but IMO, the trade off of overall comfort with the Pilothouse is well worth it.

I went from a center console to my 25' Parker 2520DV and have never looked back regretting the change.

John's comments hit the mark. If its safety, security and too avoid the elements, you can't beat the Parker.
if you need to go 30 knots, its probably not the right choice.

Parker 28":1wu0islu said:
John's comments hit the mark. If its safety, security and too avoid the elements, you can't beat the Parker.
if you need to go 30 knots, its probably not the right choice.

Thx. I'll gladly take this offline via PM if you want. Yes all of those are very important to me and my family. But, are you saying that the 28 with 2 250's fully loaded won't run 30knts in nice conditions? Again, not looking for a go fast boat... but I do need to make some time running to the middlegrounds for weekend trips. It is a 100 mile run out.

How fast say at 4300 rpms would be a crusing speed with proper trim? How are your boats characteristics when making long runs. What is your average cruising speed etc. This is very helpful to me. Many thanks.

jim

The 28' Parker will easily hit 30 knots in calm conditions. But the ride won't be great if you want to go 30 knots is real lousy conditions.

John_Madison CT":3mzste3m said:
The 28' Parker will easily hit 30 knots in calm conditions. But the ride won't be great if you want to go 30 knots is real lousy conditions.

Awesome, I figured it would. And obvioulsy in lousy conditions heck ya I'll take it slow. I really appreciate all the responses... this is a big deal for me. I talked to a dealer and they can arrange a test drive when I get closer to the date. The 28 parker pilothouse is awesome looking... and all that wide open space to boot.

Regards,

Jim

jimw":3e3mlijl said:
How and where does everyone mount their transducers?

Right here... to the left of the bilge pumps.

Image-5C4BFB884F5411DB.jpg

Megabyte":312xy6zs said:
jimw":312xy6zs said:
How and where does everyone mount their transducers?

Right here... to the left of the bilge pumps.

Thx for the pic. By chance do you have a pic of the hull from outside? Would like ot see where it is in reference to the keel, chines etc. I'll need to trailer it sometimes and I need to see where it is. Also for my cradle lift at the house.

TIA

Jim

jimw":3uc8gmbn said:
Thx for the pic. By chance do you have a pic of the hull from outside? Would like ot see where it is in reference to the keel, chines etc. I'll need to trailer it sometimes and I need to see where it is. Also for my cradle lift at the house.

No, I don't have a shot from the outside, but if you look where the through-hull is for the raw water washdown (on the right), it should give you a pretty good scale as to the 'ducer on the left.

The position of the 'ducer is only 12 to 14" from the keel, so it shouldn't be an issue clearing a bunk trailer or a boat lift.

I have fished Parker 28's rig many times. Our first trip offshore was to the 500 fathom line of the Spencer Canyon. If I recall correctly, it was slick smooth day. Once the sun came up we cruised out at approx 28 knots. My buddy came past us in Center Console and asked why we were going so slow. I responded b/c we were finishing our bacon and eggs. Yeah they looked real comfy holding on to a pipe for 2 hours. Our trip home was about 70 miles and we did 30+ knots while sitting in the pilothouse. The next trip was beautiful on the way out, but the wind started kicking later in the day. We ran home in a sold 4 to 5 foot sea off the port bow. For the first 30 miles or so home we cruised abuot 19 to 20 knots. All four crew members were sitting comfortably in the cabin. If we wanted to I am sure we could have ran faster but we would have been banged around quite a bit more. Why push it? Again, like everyone else has pointed out, sitting farther forward is quite different than sitting further aft in a center console. I would much rather throttle back and be able to sit and stay dry than to hold onto a T-top pipe while ducking spray. (Been there done that)

for once, Brad's right. In a calm sea the boat runs 55 mph. In slop count on 17-19 knots. Fast enough for me! plus you're dry and comfortable.

Parker":1l8r1qkt said:
My buddy came past us in Center Console and asked why we were going so slow. I responded b/c we were finishing our bacon and eggs. Yeah they looked real comfy holding on to a pipe for 2 hours. Our trip home was about 70 miles and we did 30+ knots while sitting in the pilothouse.

I would much rather throttle back and be able to sit and stay dry than to hold onto a T-top pipe while ducking spray. (Been there done that)

Amen! LOL... that is funny... Ya holding on the pipe isn't the best. But we make due with bean bags. Man they are so nice. But the wind, spray etc... getting old for me.

Parker 28":1l8r1qkt said:
for once, Brad's right. In a calm sea the boat runs 55 mph. In slop count on 17-19 knots. Fast enough for me! plus you're dry and comfortable.

Thanks guys, just what I expected to hear. Now I'm checking on what my insurance will cost for the 28 parker.... my current boats last policy is only $500/year for $50K value... I'llneed to sit down when the quote comes in :shock:

Take care,

Jim

My insurance for the 28 about doubled what I was paying for the 24 ( about where you currently are ). Boat US was the best price I found without coastal distance limitations.

matt5514":1rlmvqtn said:
My insurance for the 28 about doubled what I was paying for the 24 ( about where you currently are ). Boat US was the best price I found without coastal distance limitations.

fyi - Global Marine insurance is $1,900. Progressive is the same. Will try Boat us. The above has a limit of 125nm from shore. Full replacement for the first 5 years. Includes all electronics and equipment.

I'm in FLA with excellent credit, no claims etc... they are sticking us hard down here :(

Jim

Back