Adding bilge storage, hiding dirt in well forward of engine

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatcir

Reaction score
I was nervous about storing items in the bilge because they could fall on the bilge switch and make it useless. So I moved the bilge switch a bit thinking I would add a clear plastic vertical bulkhead to keep stuff off the switch.

Then I thought it might be simpler and give me more storage room if I just put a clear plastic acrylic 90 degree frame (easy lift out - not fastened) over the bilge pump and the switch so I could still see if water was in the bilge and maximize my storage. The plastic frame is easy to just lift out and the bilge transverse step holds the frame in place.

The plastic shop where I bought the clear plastic cut the pieces for me and sold me a needle glue applicator and a can of glue and it only took a few minutes to make the 90 degree frame and the glued joint is as strong as the quarter inch thick plastic.

The photos show (may be out of order): relocating the switch (not really necessary), the 90 degree plastic frame, the frame installed and stuff (black fender) on the plastic frame.

I also had the plastic shop cut me an eighth inch thick piece of black plastic to cover the dirt in the recess forward of my engine - all the dark cockpit dirt just lays there so I thought I'd just make it black. And it just lifts out to clean under it when I wash the boat. Photo on that too.

Plastic cut to size was $27 and the glue(weld on #3 acrylic cement) and applicator were $20 and I now have enough glue to make a plastic house.

Simplest project I have ever done. No screws, no Life Caulk, no cutting and both seem to do exactly what I wanted. Chance in a million.

.........Pete

Attachments

• Relocate bilge switch - looking for more storage (Small).jpg
    Relocate bilge switch - looking for more storage (Small).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 955
  • Plastic frame (Small).jpg
    Plastic frame (Small).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 955
  • Fender in new much larger storage space (Small).jpg
    Fender in new much larger storage space (Small).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 955
  • Black plastic pressed into dirt collection recess (Small).jpg
    Black plastic pressed into dirt collection recess (Small).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 955
  • Plastic frame resting in place - note hose clamps on plastic (Small).jpg
    Plastic frame resting in place - note hose clamps on plastic (Small).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 955
Sometimes it's the simple things... Nice job Pete! :)

If you find that the acrylic moves while underway, you might try putting a dab of clear silicone on top of the bilge pump. :wink:

I store 2 small fenders in my bilge area. They get a bit dirty, but I only use them 2 or 3 times each year anyway. I have never had any trouble with them hanging up the bilge pump switch.

Your idea is more elegant than mine. Nice going.

I used 5200 and put a piece of starboard across the ledge, leaving space on either end for run-off. Use the area for storage. Works well.

Back