almost a new owner

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh

Reaction score
My husband and I just put down a deposit on a 2008 1801 with a 115 Yamaha. We are going out on Saturday for the Sea Trial. We are very excited but have a concern is to whether this boat will be under powered?
We will almost always have 4 people on the boat with a full livewell and a cooler full of drinks, lots of tackle, etc. There may even be times that we have 5 or 6 persons on board, but in that situation I doubt if we would be fishing...maybe. Does anyone have any advise or comments from experience with a 115 on the 1801?

It didn't pass the sea trial. It took "forever" to get up on step. We are very disappointed.

Leigh":hj45iqvk said:
It didn't pass the sea trial. It took "forever" to get up on step. We are very disappointed.

Wow, that's too bad. I will say that it will quite a load you plan on carrying all the time in that hull, but I would have thought that the 115hp at 75% the Max HP for the hull would have been 'OK'.

Welcome aboard to ClassicParker !

We are changing the pitch on the prop from 19 to 17 for one more sea trial tomorrow. I am not holding my breath. We may have to look for another boat. :cry:

I have an 1801 a 99. For a short cruise you can take 4 or 5 people. However it is a fishing machine and I think that it fishes 3 comfortably.

I really could use trim tabs for the reason you explained but I don't feel it is underpowered at 115 hp.

Good luck in your decision. It as big and as solid an 18 ft cc as your likely to see by any manufacturer.

I used to run an 18 Parker 25 miles out in open Atlantic on a regular basis. Sometimes had 3 plus me, full 30 gallon livewell, fuel, ice etc. Boat had 115-2 Yamaha. Difference was I had large trim tabs. Don't remember prop, boat ran very close to 40 with T-Top.

Rather than change props, change MOTORS! :wink: You need the very popular 150-4 Yamaha. Or, consider the 21 SE with 200-4 Yamaha. Your cruises with 5-6 people will be a boat full on the 18.

I will say I cannot imagine a more seaworthy boat than the 18 Parker. It is my opinion most larger Parkers are sold to those of us who started with the 18 and never had the desire to shop another brand.

Leigh":gtraj7kq said:
We are changing the pitch on the prop from 19 to 17 for one more sea trial tomorrow. I am not holding my breath. We may have to look for another boat. :cry:
My God yes ... the wrong prop can not only DOG the performance ... but in the long run ... it can KILL the motor! Make sure it is propped towards the HIGH end of the recommended maximum WOT RPMs.

the boat failed with the new prop. Bummer. We had 6 people, of which 3 are small. half tank of gas, full live well...

the draft on the boat is no where near the 8 inches that Parker has in there specs. It is more like 14-16 inches. We were looking at this boat because it could do the flats and some offshore. But seems like not.

Apparently Parker can not explain to the dealer why this boat is not performing. The dealer is stumped..... so are we.

The dealer is putting on a 150 but I think we still have draft issues, maybe even more so with bigger motor?.?.?. I am not sure.

What cpacity is the boat coast guard rated to? I know the 23'er is rated to 8 persons. 6 people on an 18'er :shock:

Leigh":334347q0 said:
We had 6 people, of which 3 are small. half tank of gas, full live well...

That is asking an awful lot of an 18' boat from any manufacturer.
Most 6-pak guides in this area won't take that many people on a 21.

My last boat was a 2004 1801 with Yam 115-4. Great boat. the 17 prop was right for it, jump to plane and 38-40 GPS at WOT.
Six people is pushing it for any 18' boat, the 1801 is probably the most spacious 18' on the market. I found that it will fish 4 OK but fishes great with 2-3.
As for the draft... my guess is that Parker gets the 8" draft with the boat at rest and no equipment/passengers, etc. The real hull draft with 1/2 tank fuel, full cooler, fishing equipment, two people and large dog was more like 11" (and yes I measured many times).. The overall draft with engine tilted as far up as possible and still operate is about 16". I live on a VERY shallow creek and have tested it many times.
After saying all that IMHO the 1801 is still the roomiest, most stable boat in it's class.

Back