Antifouling - trim tabs and bracket?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsw

Reaction score
As I'm waiting for the snow to start falling, I'm thinking springtime and got to wondering what you folks do for antifouling on trim tabs and motor bracket. The first couple seasons the barnacles weren't too bad, but after last years bumper crop, I figured I can do just as well bottom painting myself this season.

What do you use on tabs and the motor bracket below the water line that holds up well and keeps the growth under control? Paint on the tabs wore off by the end of June (about 8 weeks in the water), so what seems to work best? I know regular bottom paint is asking for problems.

Also, another first last year, I had to replace zincs on my tabs in August as I just about had only screws and nuts left where the zincs used to be. No paint underneath so it was good metal-to-metal contact (or so I thought). Same diameter as was always used. Any thoughts on why they may have disappeared so quickly? The anode on the motor bracket showed no unusual signs of errosion.

Thanks

John

i also use ablative paint on my tabs. been doing this since 1994 with no problems. make sure they are primed good.

the zincs are working like they should by getting used up. perhaps there is a different boat near your's this year with leaking electric from shore power or something of that sort. when my motor was mounted, mechanic inadvertently had negative cable under bolt for motor. pinched cable. later in the season when i was doing routine maintanance, i noticed the bolt was half eaten away. bottom line, check for any stray electric source for zinc being eaten away.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas on the zincs. I expect them to corrode away since that's what they are there for, but this was the first season they went so quickly. I'll be prepared this year with an extra set on board. For the tabs, figured I'd use a bind coat primer after roughing them up with sand paper and then a few coats of outdrive antifouling. Just wasn't sure if regular antifouling will work, or if I needed something special like that used on aluminum.

John

Back