Any of you guys live near OIB or Southport, NC?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gw204

Reaction score
I'll be heading down to Ocean Isle Beach, NC for a week on June 30 and would love to meet some of you guys if you're in the area. :)

I'm bringing the Grady too. Ain't nothin' like 7.5 mpg for 400 miles!!! :shock:

Southport is my "home port". Unfortunately, we'll be heading for Islamorada for the Fourth. :(

What are you pullin your Grady with? I get 10mpg (for 1000 miles)

Fish, You will hear that hemi from FLA when he heads down to NC. And he thinks my Opti is loud :lol:

What is a SBC?

That Hemi noise from Flowmasters :D , or sucking gas? :shock:

SBC=Small Block Chevy... Tim "Toolman" Taylor once described as the god of internal combustion. :D

How does your 3.42 do?? I have 2 "SBC's". One is a Silverado with 3.23's and One in a Suburban with 3.73's. My 3.23's are a dog towing my boat but I LOVE the 3.73's with the 5.3l!

I estimate boat-motor-trailer to weigh around 6800 pounds. The p/u loaded for the Keys is around 6300 pounds. The T-Top is a major wind drag. I run I-95 at 70-75 no overdrive, no cruise control. It'll downshift about half-way up overpasses. Slightly decreasing speed eliminates downshifting.

I think it's remarkable to move over 13,000 pounds at 70+, 4x4, a/c comfort, great ride and get 9+ to almost 11 mpg. Overall average city/surburb/hwy is 17.4. All interstate at around 70 is pushing 20.

With gas prices like they are, I can live with the 3.42. Besides, it's kinda fun to have those Hemis I pass shout out "Hey,you must have a small block Chevy in that thing! " :lol: :lol: :lol:

well, maybe not the hemis with 4:11's :oops:

Good to hear. I always lock out OD. My 3.23's want to downshift on the slightest incline where my 3.73 walk right up a hill. I dont tow over 65. Since the speed limits on the eatern shore of MD (where I pull when I go to NJ, CBBT or DE) are 55 I rarely tow above 60. I also get about the same fuel mileage with both rears. When not towing, I think the mileage is 1mpg diff on the highway in favor of the 3.23 but may do better with the 3.73 around town. I may put 3.73's in my silverado once I get our current home sold and are all moved in to our new home.

I love the Chevy engines and powertrain compared to my Fords (tired putting coils in the inefficient engines mated with the power robbing transmissions). However, the exterior looks and interior quality and layout of the Fords is a lot nicer than the bow ties. I will take a better driveline anyday!

FishFactory":30zudbaw said:
That Hemi noise from Flowmasters :D , or sucking gas? :shock:

BOTH! :D :D :D But if I have time, I'll be swapping the single 3" inlet / dual 2.5" outlet 50 series Flowmaster for a single 3" inlet / single 3" outlet 12589 Magnaflow breathing through stock pipes. The noise was cool when I put the system on back when I was still in my 20's, but now that I'm 30, it's gettin' old like me. :)

As for the SBC, I'll admit is seems like a healthy little powerplant. My wife is in the market for a Suburban so we've been driving a few lately. That 5.3 does pretty well moving such a large vehicle.

When I bought my Dodge in '03, I drove both the F250 and the Ram 2500. GM wasn't in the running because of their looks and the fact that I wanted a solid front axle. The 5.4 in the F250 seemed gutless and it never dawned on me to go V10. So, the HEMI won. I just wish I would have ordered it with a manaul instead of grabbing at automatic off the lot. :( No problems with the 5-45rfe yet, but it doesn't perform like I want. Guess I gotta invest in a shift kit and programmer....darn! :? :D :wink:

FishFactory":2aozod58 said:
So, where's the fishing report, GW?

Nothing worthwhile to report. Tried for kings on Tuesday at the 390/390 and only managed one small spanish and got the snot beat out of me on the way in/out. Goofed off the rest of the week and managed the following on rod-n-reel:

1. Small sand shark.
2. 4 or 5 blue crabs.
3. One hermit crab.
4. Ultralight rod and reel that fell overboard. :?

Very disappointing week fishing-wise....

gw204 said:
got the snot beat out of me on the way in/out.
quote]

Typical. We have a good fishery, but it seems always to be rough. Just look at the tough boats we build in NC, Parker, Grady, Fountain, MayCraft etc.

Try us again in the fall for 40# kings 100 yds. to 5 miles off beach.

Back