auto pilot

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABRIG005

Reaction score
What is the least expensive but good quality auto pilot for a 2120 SC?
Thanks Anthony

Reading between the lines, I assume you mean the least expensive for what you want to do with the AP. What's the goal? I recently went through the research process and when it was all flitered out, I did the S1000.

I can't believe I didn't make it one of the first toys on board. I love it.

Getting from point A to point B on a run? S1000.

Trolling at GPS- SOG of 2mph or greater. S1000.

Trolling at GPS - SOG of less than 2mph.....may have a problem.

4 fishing patterns. S1000

More fishing patterns....may have a problem.

Hydraulic steering. S1000

Mechanical steering....you have a problem. Look at the new X5 Sportpilot

Good Luck

exactly what you said...mainly for trolling stripers...abour 2-4 MPH running would be good when going to offshore wrecks.....i read up on this auto pilot and some reviews said it was hard to get to work...do you have the manual on a pdf that you can send so i can see how to install? thanks for the reply

ABRIG005":1z8nh7jn said:
...i read up on this auto pilot and some reviews said it was hard to get to work...do you have the manual on a pdf that you can send so i can see how to install? thanks for the reply

It's very easy to get to work. Most of the negative reports have been related to performance at slow speeds. I read those reviews as well and, quite frankly, was concerned about slow speed performance. However, those problems may have been associated with older units with older software.

I have tested mine, running in the various directions and at various speeds, adjusting the SOG on the GPS in increments of .5 mph. Heading into strong currents, head winds etc.,

I will tell you that if you try and troll at 2mph or less, with a strong headwind or into the current, you will have problems.

I think some people don't follow the directions and expect the unit to operate.

For instance, before you can set the unit to Pilot, the boat must have been on a heading AND the AP has to have been "initialized" (given a chance to say good morning to the GPS) for a few minutes. If you just start running, turn the AP on and immediately press "Pilot", it won't work.

If you don't install it correctly, there is a good chance you will have problems. For Example, the pump MUST be installed at a level BELOW the helm (wheel). I've seen pics of installs where the pump was mounted at helm level and above, and they wonder why the pump is slow to respond.

I dunno. Just my opinion but every electrical gizmo has it's limitations and quirks. If you know what they are and work within those limits, you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck.

TunaJoe":cyegqpxl said:
Raymarine S1000. About $875.

Hey Joe, put your Speedmaster to work the other day. Worked liked a charm. Cranked up some nice ARS and small grouper the other day.

Sorry. Didn't mean to derail thread....

Thanks Joe. I really appreciate the help. I think Im going to invest in this one. Have a good day. Anthony.

TheOtherLine":2pa2xaag said:
TunaJoe":2pa2xaag said:

Hey Joe, put your Speedmaster to work the other day. Worked liked a charm. Cranked up some nice ARS and small grouper the other day.

Cool!
What's an ARS?

TunaJoe":1kdsop7h said:
TheOtherLine":1kdsop7h said:
TunaJoe":1kdsop7h said:

Cool!
What's an ARS?

Sorry. American Red Snapper. Beefy little fighters.

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 83
Back