Autopilots: Raymarine S1000

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshdad

Reaction score
I posted these comments on THT in response to a thread that started out with a derogatory comment about the Raymarine S1000. My experience with the unit has been quite favorable since I installed the unit in November 2006. My boat is a 2320 Parker pilothouse with a Yamaha F250. I should add that I have absolutely no connection with Raymarine.

Comment posted to THT:

I am continuously learning how truly useful the S1000 can be.

First of all I need to emphasize that to properly use the S1000 you need to start off by steering a straight coarse for a period of time in order to let the unit initialize before trying to engage the pilot. Also it is important to let the unit stabilize by operating on the auto setting for a few minutes before engaging any of the trolling patterns. Finally I would point out that it never hurts to read the directions carefully. (If all else fails, read the directions.)

This weekend I tried out some of the trolling patterns while trolling for tuna off of the Southern Calif coast. The patterns work well at the speeds we troll for tuna (3-7 mph). The pilot remains accurate at speeds below 2 mph but that is lower than the speed we normally use so I didn't remain long at that speed.

What really amazed me though was the route tracking function. At the end of the day I programmed my gps to set a track for my home harbor from Catalina island, a distance of 26 miles. I then programmed my S1000 to follow that track. Once engaged, I literally did not touch the pilot or the wheel for the entire trip. Most of the time I ran at 27 mph although twice I slowed down to 10 mph to accommodate traffic running in front of me. The boat followed a perfectly straight line for the entire trip reflected in a straight track line on my chart plotter. There is no way I could have manually steered the boat on such a true track. Throughout the trip I remained at the helm adjusting my trim to optimize fuel efficiency. The pilot kept the boat on track even with changes in my trim tabs and engine angle. This made this end of the day return much more tolerable than any trip home I have ever had.

I don't know how long the S1000 will continue to perform so well. I can't predict the future. Nevertheless, this unit continues to amaze me. I never would have believed that I could have gotten so much value from the amount I spent on the Raymarine unit. I had actually contemplated buying a much more expensive autopilot that has been praised on this board. That unit sells for around $3500. I bought my S1000 during a special Raymarine promotion, and it cost me less than 1/5 of the cost of the more expensive autopilot.

Under the circumstances it would be hard to convince me that Raymarine hasn't hit a home run with the S1000. If someone wishes to find fault with the S1000 then so be it. Considering the value the most I would concede is that this unit might be an "inside the park" homer.

joshdad

Is the pump as noisy as some report? I'm considering installing the TR-1. I like the Gyro and Shadow Drive. However economy is enticing me to consider the s1000.

The pump makes noise, a kind of racheting sound each time the steering adjusts. You can muffle it to some degree and audibility relates to where it is mounted. I personally don't mind the sound. At higher speeds there is a lot of sound from the ocean which makes the pump sound less apparent. In any case the pump sound does not interfere with conversation or music on the radio.

Bottom line, it is not a major factor for me.

Your enthusiasm has convinced me to order the s1000. I should have it installed in a week or so.

I have been a critic of the S1000 on this forum in the past. For the price, it is a great unit for traveling from point A to point B, point C, etc. Problem: I use my autopilot for trolling and keeping the boat going in a straight line while I go back and tend the lines and retrieve fish. The problem is that if you are heading into the wind or tide and your speed over ground decreases, the GPS can no longer track your heading and the autopilot quits autopiloting and you drift aimlessly. I sent the unit back to RM and they installed an update that made it "remember" your heading longer, and it helped, but it was still not satisfactory.

The second problem seems kind of goofy, but it was serious. Sometimes your autopilot is taking you somewhere you don't want to go. The standard response is to stab the STANDBY button. The control for the S1000 sits in a plastic holder on the dash. If you stab the STANDBY button, the control unit shoots out of the holster and flies somewhere in the cabin. Maybe it went into standby, maybe it didn't, but you have to find the control unit to fix the situation. If it did not go into standby, you're still heading into whatever situation you were trying to avoid. This was not a one-time occurence. It happened to us numerous times.

To solve the first problem, you need a flux gate so that the autopilot knows which way you are pointed even when you are standing still. Tha increases the price.

To solve the second, I guess you need to glue the control into the holster.

My experience did not sour me on RayMarine. I simply move up to a more expensive unit (and added their radar and GPS).

RM was trying to hit a price mark with the S1000, but I think the end result has some safety repercussions. Anyone buying this unit should be aware of its limitations.

to throw another comment into the ring---I purchased the S1000 in Feb of this year and installed it myself on my 2520xl. Installation took several hours and a few bruised knuckles but all went well. The unit functions very well and I have used it without any problems. I am in the Florida Keys and fish as much as I can. AS mentioned before the pump noise is very audible at slow speeds. If I had Known this prior to installation, I would have done a better job of muffling it. When actually offshore you do not notice the pump noise. I had priced other units and decided to try this system first. I have been very pleased with this low cost installation.

delidon 2520xl

andertonm":2juci7zz said:
To solve the first problem, you need a flux gate so that the autopilot knows which way you are pointed even when you are standing still. Tha increases the price.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, with a heading sensor the AP will not require the Vessel/GPS to be making way in order to maintain course.

delidon":2juci7zz said:
AS mentioned before the pump noise is very audible at slow speeds.

I'm planning on making a custom fiberglass cover to house and muffle the sound of the pump.

I'm not sure what the "heading sensor" is. My S1000 only got heading info from the GPS and the GPS requires significant forward motion to provide heading data.. I reviewed the specs for the s1000 and don't see any option for an electronic compass.

In any case, if you start adding things to the S1000 you end up spending enough to buy a regular Raymarine AP.

A Heading Sensor is a Fluxgate Compass minus the digital readout. It’s an electronic Sensor influenced by the earth’s magnetic field and doesn't require movement to establish the vessel’s heading. However like a magnetic compass, the Sensor is influenced by magnetic deviation.
The Heading Sensor is usually linked to the GPS through a NEMA Port. Adding it to your system is essential if you are going to use the MARPA feature of your GPS.

OK... My point remains the same - the S1000 as sold has safety issues. If you are going to tack on optional extras, why not just buy a real AP? They aren't that much more and they interface with your other stuff. If you understand the limitations of the S1000, I guess it's a bargain.

andertonm":lgea3rtf said:
OK... If you understand the limitations of the S1000, I guess it's a bargain.

Andertonm is right, the S1000 is a bargain. Moreover, he is also right about the fact that it is important that you understand the strengths and limitations of any piece of navigation equipment you use on a boat.

Beyond that, I sometimes feel frustrated when negative comments are made by individuals without "hands-on" experience or before a writer has thoroughly problem-solved his particular issues. I am amazed at how many people have panned the S1000 before they have actually used it or before they have hooked it up properly.

Oh well, I guess that is the price we pay for free speech!

BTW, past comments about the handheld controller falling out of its mount leave me amazed since mine fits snuggly and never budges unless I remove it from the mount.

Anyway, I value the level of discussion on this board. At this point I have no vested interest in what autopilot different individuals choose. I don't think that anyone whose need for a pilot is consistent with the specs of the S1000 should feel hesitant to try out this unit. Before you buy, read the manual and specs carefully.

Back