Basic Maintenance Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
This is a really basic/stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. I am completing the maintenance listed in the owner's manual and have hit a snag. I can not get any grease to go into the fitting by the prop shaft. I am a little overdue on the maintenance. What due you do when this happens.

Also, It looks like I am missing the washer that goes on the shaft after the spacer (next would be the prop, another spacer, another washer, then the propr). If this is the case then it's been that way since it was last serviced by the dealer. What potential damage should I concerned about/inspect for?

When it says to grease the prop shaft, it means to pull the prop off the shaft, smear the shaft with grease, and put the prop back on. This keeps the prop from corroding to the shaft over time.

Don't know which motor you have, but I recommend you go to the manufacturer's website, look for shop manuals, find your motor, find the page with the lower unit, and see what parts are required. Normally there is a large metal washer that goes on first, then the prop, then a fiber/plastic washer, then the nut, then the cotter key.

Dave

aka

I get the shaft part, but there is also an actual grease fitting in there. I'm not sure when the last time was that it was filled with new grease. I have always taken it in to the dealer for the scheduled maintenance so I would hope that they did it. I'm afraid they did not, and that it may be all gummed up

My 225 OX66s have that fitting as well.

Pork..it's on the bracket that the prop shaft seals are in. Your motors might not have it.

I have a F250 and have a fitting behind the prop. It is difficult to pump grease into this one. If you cannot get grease into it I would take a pick and push the little ball in the center of the grease fitting (nipple) in to see if there is pressure on it or if it has seized. If it is seized this will solve your problem if it has pressure on it this may indicate a clog in the grease channel and will require removal of the nipple for inspection. Clean the channel and replace nipple and grease. Good Luck and make sure if you replace the nipple you get stainless.

Back