Bilge pump upgrade project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
At the end of the season, my Rule 1500GPH bilge pump failed on me. Not sure if it’s the switch, or the actual pump, but I couldn’t get it to trigger. Regardless, I want to upgrade my bilge pump, and add another emergency pump. I’ve heard some great things about the Johnson bilge pumps from a few of your guys. What do you recommend for my 2320? I was thinking maybe a 1600GPH for general use (rainwater), and a 2200 GPH for emergency use. Does this sound good, or should I just go with twin 2200 GPH pumps? The amperage draw is almost the same, 7 amps vs 7.5 amps, but the 2200GPH is definitely larger.

I'm also going to replace the plastic bilge pump thru-hull with SS or chrome-over-bronze. I'm not sure what size it is. I don't want to rip it out and let it sit bare until I receive my order.

I also plan on using Water Witch float switches and install a Water Witch Bilge monitor. It’s a little pricey, but it comes with nice features. Bilge pump counter with 2 week history, high water alarm, and bilge pump control. $200 though. :shock:

Here is a pic of the unit.

BA200%20final%20copy.gif

Direct link:
http://www.waterwitchinc.com/product_sh ... sheet.html

Here's what I did in the stern.

There's one 1500gph pump (also a top-rated Attwood automatic) that is tied to a 'Sure-Bail' float switch, which Dunk and other top marine surveyors argue is the most reliable switch less the electronic type switches. That is plumbed with smooth-bore hose to exit out the PORT-side of the boat.

Also in the stern is a Johnson 2200gph 'storm pump' hooked to a 1.5" discharge line, click here, they are THE top-rated high volume pump by Powerboat Reports. This pump is on a manual switch and is plumbed to exit water out the STARBOARD-side of the boat.

Having my 2 stern pumps rigged in this way I can empty water from the bilge regardless of whether or not the boat is on a serious heel. I also have a Johnson 'high water' bilge alarm down there that will audibly and visbily tell me when I have a problem and may need to turn on the storm pump.

I used SS thru-hulls and have noticed that my local Wal*Mart is selling the Attwood cast SS 316 series for < $20 each.

I have no experience with the water witch, but find the Johnson brand electric switches to be fool-proof so far. In regards to reliability, my older brother once got 14 years service out of a Johnson combo livewell/washdown pump ... most are lucky to get a full year or two out of a Shur-Flow ...

Hmm, thanks for the info Dale. I was planning on making both bilge pumps discharge on the port side. Good call on making one on each side instead. 8)

96TL":2wb0jam9 said:
Hmm, thanks for the info Dale. I was planning on making both bilge pumps discharge on the port side. Good call on making one on each side instead. 8)
You betcha ... won't do you a bit of good to have 2 pumps if the discharge thru-hulls are under water ... :shock: !

Nice work Megabyte!

So the holes for the thru-hulls Parker used were 1-3/8"? I wonder if they're the same size on my boat. I'd really like to order a pair, but I haven't been able to get to the yard and tear off the old one.

Dom

Just ordered 2 Perko chrome-over-bronze thru-hulls (1-1/8"), 2 Johnson 2200GPH bilge pumps, and the Water Witch monitor with 3 electronic switches. $$$ :shock:

Should be interesting.

Dom

Just replaced the stock bilge pump which I believe was 1500 GPH with two new 2000 GPH units from Rule with internal switches.
I added a thru hull to the opposite side and just stuck with the plastic type which comes with the boat. I believe the hose size was 1 1/8th. Also hooked up a "hot always" wiring block to below deck from Blue Seas to wire the pumps to along with anything else back there I might need....

Attachments

• dual-bilgepumps.jpg
    dual-bilgepumps.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 966
  • hotwire-fuseblock.jpg
    hotwire-fuseblock.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 966
Do you guys think I can get away with 14 gauge wire for my Johnson 2200 pump and sensors? Or should I go heavier? The pump draws 7.5 amps.

If your batteries are in the same place mine are (just forward of the bilge pumps), you shouldn't need any additional wire at all.

My Rule pumps came with twice as much wire than I needed. I'll bet your Johnsons will be similar.

Latest posts

Back