Boat defueling

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconjet50

Reaction score
I would like to have a built in hardwired fuel pump plumbed into my Parker 1801 for quicker defueling if needed. Because of ethanol fuels shorter shelf life I do not want to chance running old ethanol. I wonder if anyone has done this and if so how was it accomplished?

Jeffnick plumbed and wired a auxiliary fuel pump in the Mokee Dugway. Maybe he'll pipe in with details. We use it to refuel Honda generators. It might be too slow for de-fueling larger quantities of gas.

Mokee":276bowuy said:
Jeffnick plumbed and wired a auxiliary fuel pump in the Mokee Dugway. Maybe he'll pipe in with details. We use it to refuel Honda generators.

Now there is a great idea!
No need to carry generator fuel in plastic containers.
Sweet. 8)

Yes, I did this last year on my 1800. I picked up an 12v electric fuel pump (low pressure) from the local automotive store, extended the wires and added aligator clips to the end. I purchased 12' of hose and attached it to the ends of the pump and then proceeded to off load ~52 gallons of 10 year old premixed fuel from my Parker. I pulled 15 gallons each time over the course of several months this past winter.

Here comes the unbelievable part but trust me, it is true. I did not know what to do with the old fuel. I knew it was premixed, I knew it was 10 years old but it did not smell bad at all. So what the heck, I added 5 gallons to every fillup in my truck (~30% of the total capacity) and it burned perfectly - there was no difference in the performance of the truck what so ever. Now this fuel was made long before ethenol fuel was available, back when they used MTBEs as oxiginators. All I can say is, I rolled the dice and it worked. The fuel is long gone, it did not enter in the environment in its raw state and there was no cost for me to take it to a recycling center. That said, I would have to think twice before doing that with todays ethanol fuels.

So it can be done. Follow all safety precautions, and you'll be fine.

On my boat, I didn't have the aux pickup for the fuel tank so I used a 3 way valve in the main fuel line...in from the tank and out to either the outboard motor -or- the fuel pump.
d5812910.jpg

I also put one on my van to fill the generator on the travel trailer.
669974ef.jpg

I didn't have the aux pickup there either so I push a permanently mounted hose in the fuel fill for pickup - it runs along the frame to the pump under the rear bumper.
f5c7e62b.jpg

The pump is run by plugging wires into the trailer socket and picking up power from the tail light circuit.
Nice to be able to unhook the trailer for a week or so at the campground and be able to keep the generator running without ferrying gas back and forth in gas cans.

On the Mokee Dugway I used a simple tractor ignition switch w/ key for power, so someone doesn't flip a switch wondering what will come on.

Back