Boats and computers?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopShot25

Reaction score
Boats and computers?

My wife and I have finely joined the laptop age. My question is; have any of you been able to put a laptop to good use on you’re Parker? I’m looking for some ideas. I do have some of my own, but not being a computer minded guy, I figure someone or actually a bunch of someone’s will already be way ahead of me on this. I believe I remember seeing someone here, sorry I can’t remember who, with a docking station to hold theirs in place? I do want to get the diagnostics software for my Yamaha’s soon. What else should I be thinking about? Can I connect into my Yamaha’s during normal operation and get engine info?

Where are marine electronics going from here? O.K. I know I’m a little behind when it comes to the computers. But personally, I think the marine electronics manufactures are a little slow, maybe even holding out on us. They basically have other companies creating all this computer technology and the only thing they really seem to be utilizing is the cpu speed. I just don’t see how at this point we don’t have something like a black box system for every component. With the processors and operating systems we have now, we should be able to pick whichever screen size fits our needs, and be able to display any or all the info we want.

With all the competition, if it could be done I guess it probably would have been. I understand there’s a lot more to this. Along with the harsh marine environment and the pounding I can see it’s a challenge. I wonder if the touch screen and LED technologies will get us to the next step. With touch screen they won’t need to have each unit with it’s own specialized buttons. You can display any buttons, anyway you want. It seems to me that would be a big hurdle. Having the buttons in a user friendly setting has got to be one of the most important aspects of having separate units. If you had multiple screens or at least a backup of some kind, I think you would be in pretty good shape.

Anyway thanks guys, and Happy New Years to all

Thanks Dale, my bad. I didn't even do a search on this because I check this site all the time and have not really seen much about it. I guess I need to pay better attention.

We have internet, and John if you look into Verizon Mifi, it works perfect while cruising, my son plays on his Ipod while we are cruising with full internet access !

I’ve had laptops on my Parker ever since I owned it 10 years ago. Still no horror stories. I’m on my 4th laptop and the latest is an inexpensive netbook from Ansus. It cost less than $300 and I think is perfect for the boat. It is powerful enough to run my Nobeltec chartplotting sofware and anything else including downloaded tv programs/movies. I also have an external WIFI antenna and can pick up free internet connections where available (ie Scituate harbor.) It uses very little power and is very quite so it stays on 24hours.

I strap it down with velcro straps on the slide-out tray I installed (see pic.) I also bought an inexpensive 15” lcd tv/pc monitor to use as the main screen. I use a rubberized keypad and remote control mouse to navigate. The system has worked very well this past year and I’m very satisfied every time I use it. As for touch screen systems, I think I’ll wait until they become more mainstream and the price comes down. Next year, I might get the MIFI so I can do some stock trading while fishing for tuna...

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 558
John,

It's been a few years since I first posted my Laptop Chartplotter Project, and I've made some minor changes to the way I use a laptop in the Parker, but the basic elements are still the same. I still use the recessed plywood "docking station" to hold the laptop in place.

laptopdash.jpg

I still use the laptop as a large-screen chartplotter, but have switched to MapTech software , which is a navigation system purpose-built for use on a PC.

Maptech.jpg

It’s business essential for me to have email and web-access, but the most heavily used apps onboard are still the chartplotter and the real-time weather Doppler radar loop.

doppler.jpg

Having a continuous loop of storm activity during our local 'summer squall” months of July/August/Sept. is an inexpensive luxury. Getting advance warning of storm movement and the ability to “see” the general track of squall activity helps keep the crew and passengers safe, dry and comfortable.

If I had a few words of common sense about bringing a laptop out with you, they would be:

1. Only use a laptop that you consider “expendable”. Don’t bring your primary business unit, or your sole personal PC onboard. I haven’t had any disasters yet, but “snot happens” and there are a dozen ways you could kill a laptop aboard, from dripping wet salty hands, to electrical surges.

2. Always consider your laptop an “optional enhancement” to your day on the water. Don’t make it part of any mission-critical systems, or your –only- source of navigational or safety data. Off-the-shelf consumer laptops haven’t been ruggedized or weatherproofed to the same extent as processors integrated into Marine-grade navigation and information systems sold specifically for on-board use.

If you keep those two items in mind, there are hundreds of uses for a laptop onboard that can enhance your boating experience. Current options for Wireless Broadband make communications and entertainment options limitless.

Good Luck, have fun, and keep us posted on what you come up with for laptop uses on your Parker!

John

I use a laptop on my parker when doing longer distances on waters I am not very familiar with. This summer I ran my boat 25 miles open ocean and 50 miles down the ICW to south jersey for a week and ran it back.

I have an on board chartplotter, but the laptop is so darned easy to build your route and just hit GO.

I am using the maptech software, it is by far the best. I am using Chart navigator pro, and I have a Zenstar III USB GPS puck, it is magnetic and waterproof. We use these setups to deliver boats wherever we go, since the owners navigational equipment can NEVER be relied on.

The zenstar III is ok, i've had problems with their drivers on Vista for 64bit processors.

I am currently using a garmin handheld I got at best buy for my GPS transceiver. It connects with a standard USB-mini cable, and It also doubles as my backup navigational device in a pinch!

I have used other chartplotting software, and my opinion, bar none, NONE OF THEM, are as good as the maptech software. Its also not that expensive.

also, as for internet access, which when we deliver boats is a must, I have owned and used the verizon aircards (now called the mifis) which are EXCELLENT. The mifis require a contract though, and the price is a little steep - about $50 a month before taxes.

However - most of the newer phones allow tethering for a monthly fee. Especially on verizon.

If you are lucky enough to already be a verizon wireless customer: My last phone was the LG Dare (the Envy, Envy Touches, Nearly all of the LG phones) allowed tethering through a standard (read: inexpensive) USB-Micro cable and you can download the software from verizon wireless. I simply plug it in and hit connect. It also charges your cell phone in the process....bonus.

I have the Motorola Droid now, and i dont need this feature so much, as my droid can do nearly everything my laptop can (including navigate!)

The tethering option has its plusses: When you hit connect, and open a web browser, it will prompt you to accept the pricing terms for tethering for an additional monthly fee (i think its $30 a month). After you are done with your trip / summer / delivery: Simply call customer service and ask them to remove the feature.

Since you arent using a contracted device (such as the mifi), theres no early termination fee.

X2 CaptainJim on the Maptech Software. Covered a lot of water with Offshore Navigator and NOAA BSB charts. Very easy to plan routes in unfamiliar waters.

Jim,

Sounds like you've configured a system that works well for the way you operate. The tether option I hadn't considered. Certainly a great alternative for folks that require flexibility in access.

I agree that MapTech is the way to go for software. As for the hardware, (the fun part 8) ) there are soooooo many options available, you can "roll your own" to suit your needs and integrate features and capabiilties of components that fit your lifestyle, or take advantage of surplus equipment. With all the creative spirit that haunts ClassicParker, I bet there are dozens more examples of home-grown onboard-laptops out here on CP that we haven't heard about yet.

John

You guys are incredible.

I am looking into the maptech software although I’m not sure I need it. I’ll have to think on that, it may be fun to mess with. I’ve got the C-map software to download info from my chartplotter to, but it’s really isn’t very good. It’s hard to use and not very good for sharing info with other programs or worksheets. It is a couple of years old now so they may have improved it some.

Out here on the west coast we don’t get good cell reception when offshore so I don’t think that will be much help either. I’d like to figure that out one of these days because I really like being able to check out the weather on the internet. I don’t think it’s worth 50 bucks a month or more though. Especially since I’d only be able to get cell service some of the time around Catalina island. But you never know, if the price comes down a little it may be an option. I had never heard of tethering. That may be what I want in the future.

Does anyone use their computer for a logbook? Or keeping track of data like rocks or wrecks and stuff like that? I’m thinking of just setting up an excel spreadsheet to help me organize my info.

TopShot25":diyq8a97 said:
You guys are incredible.

Does anyone use their computer for a logbook? Or keeping track of data like rocks or wrecks and stuff like that? I’m thinking of just setting up an excel spreadsheet to help me organize my info.

the maptech software allows you to comment on waypoints and put comments on charts, etc. it would be pretty useful for that, or an excel would work amazing. I happen to be A) lazy and B) forgetful, so every year i mean to keep a ships log and forget and dont do it. A lappy would make that easy, but i dont always carry my laptop on the boat, just long trips or doing deliveries.

Back