Bottom paint preparation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishWhisperer

Reaction score
5834e28a770d7be1704ff5fd7acca8f3.jpg

Started soda blasting today to strip off the old bottom paint. It’s so fun! Not really. Going to be putting on a few barrier coats then finished off with Pettit Vivid that I picked up on sale for $200 a gallon at West Marine last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes off the paint and leaves the gel coat with a very minimal profile for the new barrier coat to adhere to. It is not the fastest way to remove the paint with my setup but it is turning out really nice. Takes a little patience getting the blaster dialed in to the correct amount of air and soda but once it’s right then it goes pretty good. I have a couple more hours today to finish where the bunks are then I will be ready for paint, after I fix any scratches and chips I find in the gel coat.

dd97ef754f610da9af43bfa53e7daae4.jpg
Finished up today with 3 coats of Pettit Vivid! Done done and done! Well, was eyeballing the outboard bracket and thinking I may as well do that now too...

it looks great. One question. How are you going to paint where she sits on the bunks? I'm hauling my boat this week, on to a trailer, and I have some touch up to the bottom paint to do.

I just finished my bottom paint on my 1999 2520 while on the trailor. for the area of the front bunks I made a wooden support brace from a 4x8 notched to a "V" used a floor jack and raised the front of the boat. I then lowered the front bunks (easy on my new trailer) and prepared and painted that area. When cured I replaced bunks to correct position and lowered the boat. For the rear bunks I needed a floor jack close to the transom (on the bottom of the boat) and a second hydraulic jack at about mid point on the hull (again with a fabricated block for the slight V). I lifted the boat to obtain sufficient clearance without lowering the bunks and completed the repaint. If I was better with photos I would include them. Good luck, after some thought I found this very workable and satisfying.

Back