Bottom Paint Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jdbic,

First to answer your question on easy off oven cleaner...don't even think about it. It will destroy the gel coat.

Now to answer the other questions on the Peel Away. Cost was for 2 gallons of the stuff but only used 1 and a bit of the second. We put the Peel Away on and let it sit for between 24 and 36 hours to soften up all the old paint and then just scraped it right off down to the gel coat. It would come off with just one motion. Then we powerwashed only a little and then proceeded to wet sand the bottom with 320, 400, and finished with 1000. After that we compounded with 3m compound. You can see the shine and we have not even waxed it yet. We will do that in the spring just before we load it back on the trailer. My son and I spent a few weekends doing this as we did not want to try and do it in a marathon session.

We did a complete redo of the hull with new gas tank and we are putting all new console, fiberglass leaning post/livewell combo, Taco Stainless insert rubrail and then a T Top. The Suzi DF140 will be the last add on as it attaches to the TH Marine Hydraulic jackplate. Add a couple of 120 Bennett tabs and we are off to the water. With the price of fuel this summer, we will probably park the Regulator and live with the Parker.

Beautiful work on that hull! Love that color...

Feel free to post project photos in the "Project" area!
I know I'd be interested in seeing what you've done with her, and I'm sure others here would as well. :wink:

Megabyte,

Thanks for the comments. We have been working on it for about a year but not steady. My son is a big High School Baseball player so it cuts into our boat time. We hope to launch in the early summer. I will post pics as we go along in the Project section. There is not a part on the hull that we have not replaced or plan to replace. It will have Pop up cleats, a molded polyethelene hardtop, and we may do powdercoated aluminum. We have not decided on that yet as there is much to think about. I did it on my Regulator but might not do it on the Parker. We will have a custom 30 gal leaning Post /livewell combo that was built in Wilmington and Gelcoated with Parker Gel coat. Parker has been great in helping along the way. I know Linwood from many years ago and Robin as well. The taco rail with stainless insert in Pearl color really sets the boat off. We even have custom Parker graphics in Navy trimmed in Silver.

I will start posting some pics soon.

I was using easyoff" oven cleaner to remove a name painted on the side of my 2520. The paint had been on the boat for 10 years,and out of everything I tried the only chemical that worked was the "easyoff"
while using it some ran down onto the bottom paint. There were most likely 3 coats or more of bottom paint there. As soon as the easyoff hit it
the bottom paint wiped right off. I had thought of using it this spring to take the rest of it off.

Has anyone ever tried that? It did'nt harm the gel coat on either side of my boat where the paint was at all..

Jimmy, I'm glad to see someone added to this thread. I did buy the 1801 mentioned when I started this thread. I only live an hour from Cape May. If my bottom-painted 1801 can turn out as nice as AtlanticBeaches', then I'm interested. One question though, how do you sand/treat the spots on the hull that are suspended by the jacks? Never did this sort of work before, but getting the boat back to no paint sure is tempting.

Jim

Jersey Jim":21yzqla8 said:
Jimmy, I'm glad to see someone added to this thread. I did buy the 1801 mentioned when I started this thread. I only live an hour from Cape May. If my bottom-painted 1801 can turn out as nice as AtlanticBeaches', then I'm interested. One question though, how do you sand/treat the spots on the hull that are suspended by the jacks? Never did this sort of work before, but getting the boat back to no paint sure is tempting.

Jim

put the boat back on the trailer and do where the blocks were...it's a pretty easy set up...

Jersey Jim,

If Jimmy does your hull, you will be in great shape. I am a long time boat/project guy with lots of projects in my past and plenty of training in the early years. I saw some of Jimmy's work first hand last year when I went to Cape May to pick up a couple of Zuki 140's. He is like me, don't do it if you don't do it right.

Principal Reeler,

Thanks for the compliment. I only wish I had taken pictures of this thing before we did the bottom. It was a mess. We took all the paint off and when we had finished the final compounding, we took it for the Carolina Blue Awlgrip. I had a guy do it that worked for 30 years at Hatteras. I will take pics as we proceed and post them. It has been lots of work but this one is a keeper for a long time. I like this boat better than my Regulator.

Back