Bracket Paint

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ackvor

Reaction score
Hello,
What do owners of Parker's do for bottom paint on Their transom bracket if so equipped? I have heard that using copper based paint will cause a metal reaction and rot away the bracket. I have also heard that the bracket is painted (not bottom painted..just plain painted) from the factory, so copper base ablative paint can go on over this paint. Any thoughts? If there is already copper based paint on the bracket, should it be removed? How?

Thanks

Jake
23 DVCC

Hi Jake:

Yes, it is quite true. The stern-attached OB brackets used on MOST boats are made from aluminum, so they need to be painted using an anti-fouling paint or paint system that is compatible with aluminum. Galvanic corrosion caused by the reactions of dissimilar metals in a saltwater environment looks like this, from my actual boat (before I corrected the situation caused by the former owner).

g_corrosion_396.jpg

There is another good picture of this occurring in this post here at the bottom of page 1.

Painting:
There are 2 ways to do this. Method (1) uses an aluminum-compatible paint like Tri-Lux 33, following the mfgr's instructions to the letter. Tyically $40/pint and $60/quart.
INT-887.jpg

Method (2) can also be used and is best IMHO if you are also going to paint your SS trim tabs, as you then don't need to buy special paint just for the aluminum. If just doing the OB bracket, I'd use #1.

Done properly, Method 2 isn't a cheap process (~ $80 for 2 quarts, 1 each, less bottom paint) as it is a 3-part process. The 1st part etches the material, then you put on a tie-coat primer (rubber-based), and then top off with your anti-fouling paint of choice. Pettit's metal prep system is reputed to be the best and I'd say if my results are indicative - it seems to be!

Bonus! Since the rubber-based primer insulates the aluminum from any cuprois oxide used in the anti-fouling paint, now you CAN use your existing bottom paint on the bracket!

Etch:______________________________________Tie Coat:
6699.jpg
-
PET-6627G.jpg

FWIW I had poor results :shock: with that expen$ive Primacon anti-F crap spray-paint stuff, but my attempt was on SS.

Removal:
I'd use a stripper and sand aggressively and possible a wire-wheel to remove the old copper-based paint. I will say I didn't remove 100% of it andI have had zero issues since using the Pettit 3-step process.

Here is a post with photos showing the 3-steps in acrton on SS Bennett trim tabs, click here.

Hope this helps you :D !

If you use a good epoxy barrier coat prior to applying the anti fouling paint you will be well protected. The yard which painted my hull and bracket applied four coats of epoxy prior to the two coats of ablative ant fouling.

Thanks for the info guys..

What if the copper based paint was applied over the paint applied at the factory when new? Will scratches be a problem?

Thanks

ackvor":3rhx6lka said:
What if the copper based paint was applied over the paint applied at the factory when new? Will scratches be a problem?
I wouldn't trust that method ... as that was done to my boat (a '92 vintage) and to Dom's boat, mid-2000 series.

Personally, until proven otherwise, if a dealer simply put copper-based anti-fouling paint over the existing bracket paint ... ??? Shame on them!

I'd get it corrected at their dime. Show them the pictures in those posts, one is a boat not 4-years old!

I used the Primacon but the brush on type not the spray on and the Trilux 33 with great results. I sanded the entire bracket, then four coats of Primacon and 3 coats of Trilux 33. I wish the bottom of the boat looked as good as the bracket does.

Thanks again for all of the advice. While I'm on the bracket subject.....I also have a Quarter sized bubble of paint on the topside of the bracket. I called parker, who kindly put me in touch with Armstrong. They explained that they use dupont imron paint on the bracket. They also suggested that a small repair could be accomplished with an automotive enamel. Does anyone know the color of the parker brackets? (same as the gelcote). Will this be something I will be able to find... or will I just have to find the closest match?

Thanks Again

Jake

Your stock motor brackets/transom clamps have factory yamaha paint on them (no copper). You do not put any anti-fouling paint on these. Infact, the paint with copper in it will eat the aluminum. When the bottom paint is applied, we leave at least a 3/4 inch gap between the paint and any aluminum parts. These brackets also have sacrifical anodes that need to be checked regularly during the season. The should be replaced at the start of every season and replaced any time they loose 1//3 to 1/2 the original mass.

ackvor":39cpgj3g said:
Also...Would this kit be what you are speaking of Dale? Is this enough coverage?

http://tinyurl.com/2wdmuc
Why buy the 'kit' for $75 that only includes a pint of the metal prep primer when from that same place ... you can buy a quart of each for $79?

But yes, it would be enough, but man, for $4 extra I'd rather have the primer on hand :) !

DaleH":2pi3c4ie said:
I wouldn't trust that method ... as that was done to my boat (a '92 vintage) and to Dom's boat, mid-2000 series.

Dale, that actually wasn't done to my boat, it was one of my buddies. I have a barrier coat on mine thankfully. His boat is a 2005 and the paint is beginning to peel.

Dale,
I went with Method 2 and ordered the quarts. I sanded a small portion today just to see how it would go. It seems I can easily sand down to the original bracket paint with 80 grit. Should I go further down to bare metal, or apply the system over the factory dupont imron bracket paint??

Thanks for all your help.

Jake

Let's check with Armstrong and Pettit ... if Imron turns out to be as tough as touted, then perhaps the tie-coat primer could go directly over that, saving you some $$.

Back