Breakin on New 225 Suzuki

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugs Tug

Reaction score
Looking for some info on breaking in a new 225 Suzuki.
The owners manual is very vague on how best to do it.
I realize that running WOT is not recommended, but what ranges of RPM's would be best. Changing engine speed often is mentioned but should I run it on the high side more than low or vice versa?
Thanks in advance

Tom

Can't say specifically for the Suzuki, but the newer engines have tighter tolerances than they used to. If its vague its probably not too critical but I would keep it out of the top end for at least the first 10 hrs of operation and vary your speed. What you don't want to do is set it a 3500 Rpms or so and go fo a 3 hour tour. :D

MAKE SURE to change the oil out after about 10 hrs, I'm sure the dealer is specific on that. Nice Boat!!

Tom, We have a new 250 Zuke on the BOE Marine Black Lab V23ST and the guidance given us was to vary the speed and not to attempt WOT for more than 15 seconds at a time below 2 hours.

After that, and until 20 hrs, simply vary your speed, but take no special precautions. Once you hit the 20 hour mark, you can do pretty much whatever you please.

Impressions on the 250 Zuke so far...
Starts easy and is very quiet at idle.

Lots of low end grunt, but subjectively... I think the Zuke is louder at cruise speed (~4200 rpm) than my 1997 Yamaha 225 OX66.

Still... a nice motor so far. :wink:

FWIW the intent of the break-in period is to SEAT THE RINGS to the cylinder bores. How many of you here have ever read over on THT about Yamaha 4-stroke motors making oil?

Thinking they were doing the motor better justice, those OBs were babied and not broken-in properly (IMHO) and gas leaks down the cylinders and gets into the crankcase.

IMHO one of the best ways to seat the rings is to bring her up onto plane. After the 1st 1-2 hour break-in, cruise around @ headway to headway+ speeds then bring her up onto plane. Don't exceed 3500 RPMs the first few times, run around a bit on plane, varying throttle every 10-minutes or so, and then drop off plane. Repeat. After 5 times or so, then go to 3800 RPMs, repeat 5X, then 4K to 4200 or so.

Brian,
Have you received the messages that I sent answering your questions?
Before I send the boat down to you it might be better to run up and run the boat out for yourself. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

Hugs Tug":138gqwmb said:
Brian,
Have you received the messages that I sent answering your questions?
Before I send the boat down to you it might be better to run up and run the boat out for yourself. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

Yep, I did get them Tom. Sorry it took me so long to reply (just sent a few minutes ago). Thanks. :)

Back