Building Our 2520XL Hardtop

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We started the hardtop construction by building a 8’ x 10’ 8” wooden form to match the radius of the pilot house roof, then we built a carrying frame that tilted for spraying and casters for ease of maneuverability. To create the edge of the top we laminated strips of bending plywood, bending them to create the desired dimensions for the top. Once we were satisfied with the form, we removed the edge form from the base covered them both with plastic laminate and re-assembled them. Keep in mind not only are we trying to match the roof of the pilot house but also tapering the width from 92” in the front to 90” at the stern, creating what I believe was a perfect 2” overhang around the perimeter of the cockpit.
Gore Marine in Wilmington built the Aluminum Frame from a couple of sketches we made.
After making a list and pricing all the materials we would need for fiberglass work I came up with a hybrid plan. I would furnish the form, Divinycell H PVC core material and 2 gallons of the Parker White gelcoat and let Triad Fiberglass who purchases their materials in bulk to Lay It Up. This worked great, it might have cost me a little more but the percentages for success went way up.
The mold took eight straight days in my shop to build.
When it was all said and done the rough costs were as follows:
Wood Form Materials $400.00
Plastic Laminate $200.00
Divinycel PVC Core Foam $440.00
Parker White Gelcoat $150.00
Aluminum Frame $2,800.00
4 Parker Roof Grabrails $150.00
Fiberglass & Labor $2,600.00
Misc. Hardware $120.00

Attachments

• Hardtop 1.jpg
    Hardtop 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • Hardtop 2.jpg
    Hardtop 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • Hardtop 3.jpg
    Hardtop 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
  • Hardtop 4.jpg
    Hardtop 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • Hardtop 5.jpg
    Hardtop 5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 55
  • Hardtop 6.jpg
    Hardtop 6.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
  • Hardtop 7.jpg
    Hardtop 7.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 55
  • Hardtop 8.jpg
    Hardtop 8.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Beautiful work and very successful project. Looks great! What is the headroom measurement from deck to aluminum frame?

Very nice looking work. I was wondering how much do you think it weighs??

Back