Buying 1st saltwater boat and want a Parker. $30-35k.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danattherock

Reaction score
I am looking at my first saltwater fishing boat. I am greener than grass, but slowly narrowing my choices down to either a Parker or a Parker. Looks like I can get a 21' CC brand new at or atleast near my price range.

What I am wondering now is how about a 23' used, or a used 2310/2320/etc.. or simliar walk around. Thought it best to ask here of course. You guys know these boats. What say you?

I will be fishing out of Southport,NC and really don't know how far out I will be going. Looks like lots of near shore stuff (2-5 miles) and I want the option to go out 20-30 miles on bluebird days.

Like I said, I am pretty green, so thanks for the patience. I don't even know a person with a saltwater boat believe it or not. This boat is a long time dream of my dad's and I. At 60 (him) and 37 (me), we figured, what the hell are we waiting on. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dan

An 18-23 CC Parker would be ideal for the fishing you intend to do. I fish out of Southport also and used both an 18 Parker and a 21 SE Parker for several years from the creeks around the Cape fear river and out Frying Pan shoals as far as the Frying Pan tower (30 + miles). I prefer the modified V boats for the inshore water but if you only intend to fish in the ocean I'd get the deep V version. The 21 SE with trim tabs is a great all around boat. It's better in the ocean than some deep V's I've had and you can get in the shallow water with it easier than a deep V. Be sure to get trim tabs on whichever boat you choose.

I think used in any model is probably a good way to go. Since you are new to boating/salt water fishing your tastes will probably be refined/changed as you spend more time on your boat. If you decide that you should have bought a different model a year or two down the road you are going to take a big hit when you sell a boat you purchased new. Could be the difference between making buying amother boat or not.

Also, as you gain experience docking, tieing up in a slip, casting heavy jigs, gaffing fish, etc. you will probably put some bumps, bruises, scrapes and scratches on the boat. Better to do that to a used boat than a brand new one, again because of re-sale.

We purchased a used boat privately from the owner. We still have it serviced by our local dealer who originally sold the boat, did the service on it in the past, will continue to do the service and is happy to answer any questions for us as they come up. Our 'used' boat only had 79 hours on it....to me that is basically new and we saved a bundle.

got_em_on":2iflbbtf said:
Since you are new to boating/salt water fishing your tastes will probably be refined/changed as you spend more time on your boat.

Excellent observation.

My previous boat was a 17' center console (no t-top) , and while I had a lot of fun in it and gained a good bit of experience, it didn't take me long to envy the people who had more weather protection than I did.

Going from an open 17 CC to a 25 sport cabin was a big jump at first, but I very soon got used to her.
I found that I really enjoyed the size of the cockpit and the weather protection offered by the cabin, so it was a good transition for me.

If I were in your position, I would first ask myself (and your dad) what my comfort requirements were, and maybe even get a ride on a local members boat.

The only people who can answer whether an open CC, a WA, or an SC would be more to your liking, is you and your dad.
You are right to be doing the research. Now go step foot on them and take a ride.
That should give you a much better idea of what direction you will want to go.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Another vote for buying used for both the money savings and because you may realize you want something different. I bought my 23 SE on the “For Sale Wanted” section here – actually by posting what I wanted and someone happened to have it. Boattrader.com, Craigslist and jaxed are also good places to look.

I love the sport cabins, but I’m not certain I would want one as my first boat as there is going to be a learning curve with docking and maneuvering. I would think this is a little tougher inside a cabin where you can’t feel the wind, but the SC owners may say otherwise. Not to mention you’re in Southport, so you don’t really need a cabin to stay warm in.

For a first boat I think an 18 or 21 would be perfect. A 23 is definitely doable, but getting on the verge of large for a first boat (just my opinion).

Since you admit you are “greener than grass” I would also recommend a boater safety course and purchasing the book “Chapman Piloting and Seamanship”

Good luck,
Gary

Look hard at the 23se vs the 21. The foredeck has considerably more space and the price is not that much different - especially used.

I have had mine now for 3 seasons. bought used from boatron here on this forum.

I fish out of bogue inlet and on really nice days have no problems running 30 to 40 miles out.

Spend most of my time within 5-10 miles of the beach, the boat is easy to handle by yourself (highly recommend an autopilot though) and is good for hopping to the islands also.

Very economical with the 225. recently fished at the papoose which is 41 miles out from the inlet. Logged 158 miles that day running and trolling.
Averaged right at 3 / gal.

If your'e up my way let me know and we can go for a ride.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Sounds like there are lots of good choices here and I am quite fond of finding a used 23 footer. It just hit me today that I have been on one. A miserable day on the water due to bad weather in Oct 2006, Capt Shute out of Morehead City took us out for albies. He uses a 23' Parker as I just saw on his website. Funny 5 years later I am looking at one. It was a big and open boat, even I remember that much. Will keep researching and looking for used boats. Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan

Joe Schute has a nice boat. It’s a late 80’s 23 SE with a Suzuki four stroke and a second helm station on the T-top for sighting fish. It wasn’t long after going out on his boat that I decided on the 23 SE. As you said there’s a whole lot of room in the boat. He said he’s had the boat since it was new and that says a lot about Parker’s quality when a successful charter captain has the same boat for 20+ years.

Gary

One of Joe's partner in crime, fishes the 23 DVCC - George Beckwith. If you want the MV/DV perspective, charter him for a 1/2 day. You'll also learn a TON about fishing the Pamlico for drum/specks/Tarpon.

I was talking to a fishing buddy just yesterday about booking a tarpon trip with Beckwith this summer. I knew he had a Parker 23, but did not know it was a DV. Now I have to book with him.

Dan, it's not a bad idea for you to book with both guides to help decide between a DV hull or MV hull. Not to mention it should be two great days of fishing and learning.

Gary

GaryM":2ai2nd03 said:
I was talking to a fishing buddy just yesterday about booking a tarpon trip with Beckwith this summer. I knew he had a Parker 23, but did not know it was a DV. Now I have to book with him.

Gary

If you want to catch Tarpon in NC, book with George. He is an unbelievable guide, a great guy, and a pretty sweet boat to boot.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 618
Amen on buying used. And before you take the plunge try to take a ride in one of the pilothouse / sport cabin boats. It's a real luxury to be inside if you're going fast for any length of time. You can have a conversation, listen to the radio and actually hear it, etc. And the pilothouse really extends the season. Sure, you don't need protection from the elements on a sunny day in NC in the summer. But what about late fall or early spring? I've taken my 2520 out when I had to scrape ice off the windshield. If I moved back to SC (where I grew up) I'd keep my 2520.

I am an anomoly, I started at the age of 12 with a 16' column hull tiller and worked my way up to a 23' cuddy cabin. Now 42 yrs old, I am very happily running an 1801 c/c. Start small/ used and figure out what suits best.
So far as feedback, you can't beat these guys on Classic Parker.

I was in the same boat (pun intended) you are in now a little over a year ago.

Took the plunge and bought a used 2320. Very happy i did (for all the reasons mentioned, including the bumps and bruises). :lol:

Put more money into it as I found what I like and what I didn't.

I was just looking at the 2320 myself. Got the brochure from Parker in the mail today. Looked that model up on Yachtworld and saw a few used ones. Nice boats for sure and I can imagine the cabin would be nice for obvious reasons. As stated earlier, I need to see some of these boats in person. We live in NC, but work on Nantucket currently. Flying off island Thursday for the day and will be taking a rental car up to Hingham (near Boston) to look at a 23' Parker CC. Hoping they will have some other Parkers as well. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dan

Back