Caution - Cracking hoses on new boat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCparker

Reaction score
Last weekend, while trolling 25 miles offshore, I happened to look over the side of my boat and see the bilge discharging. This is not common on my boat, so I opened the back hatch and found a large volume of water in the bilge. After a few second panic attack, I diagnosed the problem as a leak in the hosing in the livewell / washdown system. I came to discover that the black rubber were basically cracked throughout. Boat was purchased new last year, and has the one thru hull with the combo livewell / washdown feeding off that. The hoses used for the washdown / livewell system are totally different from those used for the bilge system. The bilge system has the clear / black tiger stripe hoses (which I find to be better hoses). The whole washdown / livewell system had a black rubber type hose with some reinforceing material in it.

Until I can get the materials to fix it all, I have shut the sea cock off at the thru hull. I plan to replace all those black rubber hoses with 3/4 inch (inside diameter) tiger stripe hose.

Just wanted to share this with everyone, as something to definitely go take a look at. Has anyone had similar problems?

The black hose from the washdown pump to hose connector started leaking last year on my 2003 Parker. I thought it was only the "stressed" end where it is forced over barb fitting. Cut it off, re-fitted and still leaked. Looked closer, and found rubber hose cracked everywhere I flexed it, like an old fanbelt.

I don't get it, Parker uses only first class stuff. There must be a reason why our black rubber hose is used.

By the way, I found out it was leaking the same way you did. Also about 30 miles off beach, at Frying Pan Tower. That'll get our attention. :shock:

I had the same black hose on my Parker 05, 2520. My black hose split while I was using my salt water washdown pump. It broke right behind the fitting where the cockpit washdown hose attaches.
I changed out all of my hoses to thick wall wire reinforced hoses and double clamped every connection with 5200 sealant that had room for double clamps. Where there wasn't room for double clamps I went with a single clamp and 5200 sealant on the hose barb.For 5200 use the regular not the fast cure.For below waterline connections you want to use the very best hose and the very best hose clamps. For hose clamps you want Scanvik brand hose clamps which are all stainless steel without slots for the tension screw or stainless steel T-bolt clamps if you can find them for 3/4" i.d. hose.
Sheilds, Trident, etc. make good wire reinforced, thick walled hoses. The Sheilds blue silicone hose with wire is probably the last hose you would need to install, but are pricey.
I hope this helps, good luck!

Mayda Marine":2uoull01 said:
For hose clamps you want Scanvik brand hose clamps which are all stainless steel without slots for the tension screw

I believe those hose clamps are also known as "AWAB 316 stainless steel smooth band hose clamps".

http://www.awabllc.com/

awab319x370.jpg

Good choice. :wink:

My black washdown hose coming from the pump itself split where it goes into the fitting. I think it was because of where the factory mounted my battery. I replaced it just a few days ago with a heay duty hose and double clamped it with those Awab ss clamps.

Megabyte":39mlloc4 said:
Mayda Marine":39mlloc4 said:
For hose clamps you want Scanvik brand hose clamps which are all stainless steel without slots for the tension screw

I believe those hose clamps are also known as "AWAB 316 stainless steel smooth band hose clamps".

http://www.awabllc.com/

awab319x370.jpg

Good choice. :wink:

here's a common problem with mfg's...they use cheap hosing in the bilge...a good example is the wash down system...the hose from the pick up to the pump is NOT CERTIFIED hose...it's usually cheap hose...these thru hulls should have certified engine intake hose on them...there's a considerible amount of pressure at the hose,when it's connected to a high speed scoop style thru hull.... another potential problem is bilge pump hose,i use and endorse strictly sanitation hose,it's smooth and flexible....

all these things here forget to point out a simple thing...a high bilge water alarm...i highly reccomend you guys install one along with a back up bilge pump-that pump needs to be connected to a seperate battery...

Megabyte":1ad98gnm said:
Most of us have already done that.

Image-DD7DC9660D5C11DC.jpg

the hose your sea water pick up is NOT certified hose...it's cheap hose...it can and will fail due to being blown out...the sea water pick up is a scoop style...water is forced thru the pick up when the boat is traveling forward..right ??? did you ever notice how sea water will run from the wash down outlet when the boat is running at cruising speed ?? even with the pump off ??? that's due to the pressure...that hose is under pressure...it's really not designed for that application...certified engine intake and exhaust hose is...sorry !!

bilge pump hose....the spiral hose like that...not good..it will cut down flow...i prefer sanitation hose...it's smooth inside,it's also stronger...

#1. The hose on the raw water washdown is 'certified' as you call it. It is pressure hose reinforced with nylon cord.

#2. There is no pressure on that hose when the boat is running because the valve is off. The valve is only opened when the washdown is being used. Leaving a washdown valve open all the time is a bad practice.

#3. The bilge drain hose is only spiraled on the outside. It is smooth on the inside where it counts. Sanitation hose can kink. This hose will not. A kink in a bilge hose can sink your boat.

But you knew all that... being a certified genius and all... right? :)

Not so pretend to be a referee here, but let me add that I replaced my washdown hose with the smooth sanitation hose that was available up the street at Home Depot. It has a psi of 175 and my pump has a psi of 50.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now put the gloves back on - round 2.

The engine exhaust hose I'm familar with is very rigid. Easier to plumb livewell w/cast iron. Not too sure if it was/is "certified". If Uncle Matt buys certified hose at Home Depot, is it certified by Tony Stewart, or Joe Gibbs?

Cool, now Kyle Busch next year. Hoses will lead him to victory or a crashed spinout.

I haven't had split hoses but I replaced a washdown hose this year on my '96. I rarely use it. One end just wouldn't hold a tight seal on the hose fitting.

Dana

Megabyte":4w6ta2iu said:
#1. The hose on the raw water washdown is 'certified' as you call it. It is pressure hose reinforced with nylon cord.

#2. There is no pressure on that hose when the boat is running because the valve is off. The valve is only opened when the washdown is being used. Leaving a washdown valve open all the time is a bad practice.

#3. The bilge drain hose is only spiraled on the outside. It is smooth on the inside where it counts. Sanitation hose can kink. This hose will not. A kink in a bilge hose can sink your boat.

But you knew all that... being a certified genius and all... right? :)

i think mabey you should look again at the hose connected to that sea cock...it's certainly not certified hose... check the image i atached,that's certified hose...big difference huh ??? but you being a volunteer fireman and all,you surley knew that,right ???after all,i've only been in my own buisness for 10years,doing mostly insurance work,so...after all what would a back yard shade tree guy such as myself know about what belongs on a boat...right :wink: :wink:

this is certified hose..it's hardwall,wire reinforced...it costs much more than the cheap stuff,however,it's well worth the extra cost..it's commonly referred to as "shields flex"...it's the only hose that should be used in below the water line thru hulls...ANYTHING else is really not reccomended...

Attachments

• 52129F-p (Small).jpg
    52129F-p (Small).jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,867
I replaced my hose with Home Depot black pourous garden soaker hose. It is made in China, and the one I got for my flower bed wouldnt properly leak around the new trees I planted. I figured if the hose is designed to leak and doesn't, well, what could be better than that for my bilge?

Jimmy, spend some time reading some of the things that these guys have done here before you critique them with your 10 years of marine business experience. You are probably good at what you do, but to quote Moe Green, these guys "made their bones while you were dating cheerleaders".

Look up improvements made here by Dale, Kevin, cbigma, raiderron, fishpimp, etc.....

The beauty of this site is that there is a healthy respect for all here. No peenie measuring. We learn from each other, and I feel that some of these guys respect my thoughts on a matter (laughable I know) as much as I do theirs. Awesome learning environment. If you want to say "hey look at me" and brawl, well head over to THT....

If you want to fit in here, pull up a chair. You'll be welcomed man. Very cool place. Dig in and dig it; it is different.

10 years is how long i've owned my own buisness...not how long i've been in the marine business...no peenie measuring here...i just state what i know to be facts...the typed word is very different from the spoken word...i found this site from someone linking what i posted about a 2120 parker i was working on...i checked it out...read what this gentleman posted concerning me in that thread...it certainly appears he has a bone to pick with me... :roll:

Been checking the dreaded black hose--- no sign of trouble yet.

Jimmy----I think you are right about the issues you bring up. Please don't take this the wrong way, but CP is a website for adults that doesn't involve alot of ego stroking. A new member who may know very little about boats is treated with the same amount of respect as anyone else.

IMO CP is not a site for a lot of drama queens like you see on THT. The most drama we get around here is when Fishfactory gets going about T-tops after a few scotch and waters. FWIW I enjoy your less dramatic posts.

jim

jimmy's marine service":1rwvzlc2 said:
... check the image i atached,that's certified hose...big difference huh ??? but you being a volunteer fireman and all,you surley knew that,right ???after all,i've only been in my own buisness for 10years,doing mostly insurance work,so...after all what would a back yard shade tree guy such as myself know about what belongs on a boat...right :wink: :wink:

No personal attacks will be tolerated!

There is no greater 'back yard shade tree' mechanic on this board than me! And for the record, in this season alone I have FIXED no less than a dozen boats and motors this season that were all allegedly repaired by professionals in the marine industry. They do it to make money - so there is a price/service threshold that you must maintained in order to run a profitable business. I did this work to help out friends in my boatclub (> 100 boats) who were raped for $90 to $110 per hour for work that I subsequently had to fix or correct. So no cracks against back yard shade tree guys, 'cuz I'm the leader of the pack!

Message to all ...

If you disagree - do so respectfully. If you have advice to offer - your input must be VALUE ADDED!

Inflamatory responses and tone like displayed in this topic will NOT be tolerated and is not in the spirot of why I started this board. If you have any input to offer - then do so in a respectful way or you will be moderated ...

If you don't like it ... then leave and get outta here ...

Good for you Dale and TOUCHE.

This is one of two boat forums that I visit on a daily basis.

The info available here and at the other site I belong to, Classic Mako have been a most valuable source of info.

Great people willing to help each other no matter what they own, or what they want to do to make their boats better.

Hell, I dont even own a Parker and I sold the Mako.

Thanks for letting me hang out and offer wharever help or opinions that are relevant.

Tom

FishFactory":2m5dtnbz said:
There's a T-Top for everyone,

...and a powerful, highly reliable and fuel efficient Mercury outboard. :D :D :D

Let's keep it friendly here all. We don't want this site to turn into another THT...

Back