Custom Livewell for a 2520DV, how big is to big

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panga

Reaction score
When I bought my 2520 the previous owner throw in a custom live well he was building for the boat. This guy runs a 50' longrange charter boat out of San Diego, so I assume he knows live bait, and what it takes to get a large amount of livebait out to the grounds. I will be using the baitwell mainly for albacore, sometimes maybe as a fish hold for crab, but likely will be removing it when using the boat for all other species besides albacore. The tank he constructed is framed with 5/8" ply, and glassed over, it is 2'6"x2'6" by 2'8" high inside dimensions, with a 1.5'x1.5' square opening at the top, and baffles about 3" deep protruding down from the opening to prevent sloshing. I need to paint the tank and plum it, then mount to the deck, and it should be good to go, I think I have a great plan for installation and plumbing, my only concern now is weight. This seems like a lot of extra weight for the 25 footer, I calc'd it out to be just under 125gal. It would be killer to be able to take a bunch of bait out to the grounds every once in a while, but if this is going to be to much weight, I will figure something else out. Will this kill my fuel economy? Or make my boat unsafe?

Thanks

I am just presently going to finish my live well and will be installing it when i feel like pulling boat out, but the dimensions u give seem reasonable, I would say 90 to 105 gallons(this assumes u will not be filling to tippy top), here is a link to the kodiak company i have the PF 52 the 50 gallon look at the dimensions of the tank.... you can never have too much live bait...

http://www.kodiakmarine.com/pro-flow.html

Heres mine :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8866&start=0

good luck

Fresh water is 8.35 pounds per gallon. 125 gallons is a little over a half a ton of weight.
Add the weight of the tank and the plumbing, and you have a figure you can deal with.

Only you can determine if that figure is 'too much', or not.

Thanks for the help, I will have to fill the tank to the tip top, the overflow level will determine where the level ends up, it will be set at a permenent level, pump will run continuous, to keep fresh water running through for the chovies, not the kind of thing where I can adjust the level each trip, the water level will have to be to the top for the baffles to function and prevent sloshing.

As far as weight and safety I was just hoping to hear from someone who has put a 100 gal+ tank on a 2520 and ran 40miles+ off shore with it. This advice or experience could save me investing a thousand bucks into a tank that is way to big for my boat, and having to scrap it and spend more money to do it again.

Thanks

No experience with a well that big but a couple suggestions. Give Parker a call and see what they think about that much weight in the 2520. If they give you the go ahead I would, if possible, just filler up and test it out without spending any time and money actually rigging it. At least see if YOU will be happy with the results. That is HUGE, good luck!

Kevin you have a good idea.... especially with the size....What motors/motor?

Salt water is actually heaver than distilled water- fresh 8.33/8.35 tap, salt 8.59.....

http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Beple ... allon.html

110 gallons at 944# plus tank.... hope you have twin 200's or install a divider so you can use it as a half tank or install a false bottom filler cube or raise bottom and cut out for bottom drawers/plano boxes...!!!!! you can never have too many planos on a boat!!!!

Yeah, twin 150s, might be too heavy, maybe I will fill it with water and try it out, but that is like adding 5 big guys to the boat, big difference, I think I could be fine with a 65gal tank, I just have this already built bad ass tank, not sure what I will do with it if I dont use it, maybe I will modify it to work, ie cut it down?

you put 4 scoops in, it shouldn't be a problem :) I think we could chum up the schools like the party boats do with that much bait, still thinking about it

Is there a way to modify the tank so u can adjust the water level so u don't have to have it full?

BradV, thats the direction I am leaning, I don't think I can adjust the water level, because the baffles point down off the top of the well, so they will only work to prevent sloshing if the tank is full to the brim. I like the idea of planos built in, Im thinking I could put a new bottom in the tank about a foot or so up from the bottom, leaving room for tackle storage, and cutting at least 30% of the volume. still thinking about it. OI think ideally I would cut a 6" srip vertically out of the tank on 2 sides, and glue+glass it back together, leaving me with desired lower volume and more free deckspace. Im still scratching my head and staring at the thing sitting in the driveway.

I think I am going to cut a strip out of the middle of the tank, about 5" wide, then screw, glue and glass the two outsides together, and raise the bottom of the tank up about 8", leaving a smaller volume and room for plumbing and tackle storage underneath. Thanks for the thoughts

I think you could make it work if you wanted too. I have an 85 gallon bait tank, a 165 qt. cooler and my below deck fish hold is 70 gallons, which I carry mostly full most of the time. I have twin 150's and the boat handles fine, but I have the notch transom. Some things to consider would be how many guys you usually fish with, and how much gear you take. You know the deal, it's all give and take on our small boats. If you can cut down on something else it may be worth it.

Would love to see picture of the tank. Maybe that will help with ideas.

Back