Dig. Antenna --How High ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty D

Reaction score
I want to install a Dig. Antenna for my VHF.on a 2320 PH. If I install it at the gunnel and 3 ft. high, mount a conection on the roof. How high can I go ? I think 12 ft. is all I need.
If anyone has this antenna, please let me know.
Marty D.

Huh? With a pilothouse I don't know why you wouldn't go off the roof. And another thing, maybe more important, in independent testing by Powerboat Reports, the Galaxy 5225XT series of antennas by Shakespeare out-performed those by Digital. I have a VHF tester myself and have tested almost 30 boats to date.

By far the best performing antennas I myself have seen have been the very same Galaxy series.

We have 2 of these same antennas on the ferry boat I work on, and they perform very well. Strong as all get out too. Soooo, I put these same model antennas on the City Harbormaster patrol boat, as well as on the PH roof of my 2520XL. I seem to be able to hear and talk to stations that others claim they don't hear. A little more money to purchase, but I don't think I need any more height.

BTW, a word of advice, use a stainless steel HD rachet mount, nothing less. Chrome over brass/bronze or reinforced nylon(?) is a no-no. Also follow the advice here on CP for preparing the holes in the roof. It seems to be balsa core, and you don't want to allow water intrusion through the screw holes or the cable hole. Don't take a chance that the bedding sealant leaks.
Just my .02 :)

Back