• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Disappointed in my ride

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diverdown

Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 2520 with twin 250's and running with my trim tabs which are 12x12 down the bow launches up and slams down in a 2 foot sea. Can anyone tell me what I might do to improve my ride?

Slow down!
Adjust tabs! Start in up position and trim down intil you find the sweet spot.

Diverdown":35oe5u3v said:
I just bought a 2014 2520 with twin 250's and running with my trim tabs which are 12x12 down the bow launches up and slams down in a 2 foot sea. Can anyone tell me what I might do to improve my ride?
look to buy bigger tabs. We have all gone to bigger tabs then what the manufacture puts on. 24x9 is the going rate

kidfreediver":54bvsw6i said:
Diverdown":54bvsw6i said:
look to buy bigger tabs. We have all gone to bigger tabs then what the manufacture puts on. 24x9 is the going rate

This would be my guess also. Our Parker's tend to be ass heavy. With twin 250's I suspect yours is even more so. I added a Permatrim to mine which really keeps the bow under control but I don't know if that would be a good idea with twins. I really think that the tabs are your best bet and would correct this situation.

As others have stated, the 12x12 tabs will keep the uninitiated out of trouble, but for (much) better performance on a 2520, you really need to go larger.
24x9 have been installed on many members boats here, tho some have even gone to 30x9.
Switching to larger flippers will make your ride seem like a whole new boat.

In doing so, you do need to understand that your performance will increase during general operation, but you will also need to be mindful of following seas and inlets when running larger tabs to avoid broaching.

The caution to back down your speed is also correct.
These boats are not Contenders, Regulators, or SeaVee's. They are wide beam fishing vessels, not hot rods.
Slow down... use your tabs and motor trim... and you will enjoy your boat a whole lot more.

If you are still running the stock yamaha props try a different set with some more stern lift. We found a big difference switching to the merucry rev 4's. Much more control, seems to hold the boat on plain better, improved close quarter handling, etc. If you are putting on the heavier props use the mercury flor torq IV hub kit as well. This will dampen the vibration caused by the heavier wheels at idle speeds and up to about 800 rpm. We used ken at propgods.com

Swapping the tabs may be the overall better answer, but with twins you may not be able to get the 24 inchers on there especially if you have a transom mount transducer and it may require some extra drilling etc. I have not messed with the tabs so would not be familiar with that.

Swapping props is much easier(only remove one nut) and if you are running the stock yammies you should get better performance overall with that upgrade. And having a spare set can't hurt.

We also run with engines tucked all the way down and tabs all the way down if running into a tight chop.

Speed is the other factor. We have 150's and unless it is calm, most of the time we are not using all the power that we could. You have twin 250's-200 more hp than us -so you have the ability to push even faster. You may really want to use all that horsepower, but in the end pulling the throttles back will really help.

Diverdown":2r9z99tq said:

Like others have said try bigger tabs but you will not be able to go much bigger than 14" with twins, props 4 blade work but you sacrifice speed and fuel economy and slow down only works to a point then you fall off plane.

Best thing? Sell the boat.

I had a 2530 that I dealt with for 8 years. Tried all the above and never really got it to ride to my satisfaction. Ultimately that is why I sold the boat. When you had to get home, the hull would really beat you up.

Other that that, really solid build and no nonsense construction.

These hulls don't like to be over powered. Mine had twin 200s. I feel the best twin power for the 25 DV hull is 150s but I never been on one. The singles run better because the weight balance is different and power is less. But most 25 hulls with single power have the MV hull which is a whole different animal.

I think you got oversold on the size of those motors. Twin 150's or 200's (both smaller and lighter motors) are far more common. Is your boat the true deep-vee 21 degree hull or a 16 degree?

miketheserviceguy":2rhyp8zx said:
I think you got oversold on the size of those motors. Twin 150's or 200's (both smaller and lighter motors) are far more common. Is your boat the true deep-vee 21 degree hull or a 16 degree?

The Inline 4's 150's and 200' are both about 490lbs. To have a 250 means you have either the older 3.3L style or the newer 4.2L Offshore. I suspect you have the 4.2L's. The 2520 XLD shows the engine choices in twins to be both the 150 and 200 in the Inline 4 motor or the 300 in the 4.2L. That puts the weight at either roughly 980lbs for twins or 568 with a 300. With the 250's you are at 1,136 or so. The older 3.3L F200/225/250's are all about 608lbs. On the newer 4.2L Offshore models, the 225/250 & 300's are actually lighter than the 3.3's at 568 lbs. I'm curious how you ended up with the 250's? Although once you go twins the 250's are only another 156lbs.

Yah is that a typo they don't even offer twin 250 on a 2520? Do u have a 2820? Maybe that's the typo. Either way to much weight on the back. Need to throw some sand bags or lead in the bow if that's the case. Those trim tabs won't do any justice.

kidfreediver":hhh9v4jc said:
Yah is that a typo they don't even offer twin 250 on a 2520? Do u have a 2820? Maybe that's the typo. Either way to much weight on the back. Need to throw some sand bags or lead in the bow if that's the case. Those trim tabs won't do any justice.

I did see that max HP is listed at 500 for the 2520 but the 250's are not listed as optional power?

My 2520 with twin Yamaha 150s is ass heavy as it is, I couldn't imagine putting more weight that far back. 200 additional pounds for 250s probably makes a big difference. I'm thinking about getting a heavier anchor (only partially kidding).

Funny thing is that no-one has asked you how fast you were going? Seems to me like that's a pretty big part of the discussion. And are you talking 2' from crest to trough or 2' above and below mean sea level. Also a big difference.

Take some pics of the mounting position of the motors. As in what hole are they set at? Also, what props are you running and what is you max RPM and speed at WOT? These are all places to start to dial in your set up. These things need to be checked but at the end of the day, putting bigger tabs on the boat are likely to make the biggest difference.

Back