Dock de-icer question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
I just put in my Kasco 1/2 hp de-icer off my dock, in my canal that you see in my signature photo. I had to break through some ice (4") to get her set, and she has been on for about 4 hours now, and the dock is de-iced. I am the only home that has this in, which makes me think maybe I havd been worrying too much. Oh well.

Anyways, my question is how long can I keep this unit running continuously? I am hoping it can stay in and running for 7 days, until I get down again. It is plugged into a heavy duty 15 amp outdoor extension cord, and into a recepticle on the exterior wall of my house.

I am attaching some pictures of the de-icer in motion.

Attachments

• 0210071156a.jpg
    0210071156a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 906
  • 0210071155.jpg
    0210071155.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 906
Might go with a thermostat controlled switch (wet or dry) or a timer on the dock? Or might call the manufacturer?

I have a pond pump that I wanted to leave on year round over a waterfall and the manufacturer said to keep it on year round which I have done now for over four years. There is ice hanging from the waterfall again as I look out now but the pump goes on and on and on.........

It's an electric motor, should run for years as long as it isn't overloaded beyond design specs. Just pumping air at low pressure the motor will last until either the brushes or bearings wear out. If your worried about electricity you should be able to get a heavy duty timer at any garden center or home improvement store.

I'm sure happy it doesn't get that cold here.

Well... days later and continuous running have my dock ice-free, but just barely. Man it was cold this weekend at my house. Hopefully a week warm up will allow me to pull this thing out.

On the bright side I installed new 14' Monarch mooring whips, a dock ladder, and a few cleats. Ya gotst to do something to keep your head in the game...

Sal - you are a brave man to be working outside in this cold snap. I have been making a list of items to get done. At this rate, my boat will not see the water until May!.

I leave mine in most of the winter, and only turn it off when the weather makes a real change. Looks like this week several 50 degree days are ahead. I'll probably shut it off now. Ice and Tide can tear up a dock.

I just came back from pullin my unit from the water. Beautiful day out! I think I'll lob a call in to have my boat dropped in early this year.

Back