Does your 2520 sc xl steer hard?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
Was out today, only second time I've had the boat out, and it seems like this boat steers hard and takes an awful lot of revolutions of the wheel to make turns. My old boat was an I/O, same size and was significantly more nimble.

Was there an option related to steering like Hydraulic or Hynautic that I missed out on? I can't be 100% sure but I think the dealer told me my boat had some sort of steering assistance.

Don't think so. I have a 2520XLD and it steers very true to rotation. Are you feeling any skipping in the steering??

chrisn":txsshdzo said:
Are you feeling any skipping in the steering??

A little, but only when I've reached the end of a wheel rotation on a significant turn, like a 180. Does the same thing on turns to port or stbd.

This past spring I upgraded from 2120SC on which I had installed hydro steering. My new 2320SC came with hydro and it does require more effort at the helm. Takes a little getting used to...

I've found on my 2520XL that the steering is very sensitive to engine trim. If the engine's not trimmed right, the steering effort is heavy. Also, the boat is not nimble and will slide through a high speed turn more than carve through it as would a deeper V.

The manual says that you should be able to see solid fluid in the fill hose. I noticed on mine that there is some air in the hose line. I would have thought the dealer would have checked and bled the two lines going into the unit. I don't know if that's the reason but I guess we do fixes one at a time till I figure it out.

She does seem to slide around those turns but that's controllable with speed. I just can't get over how many turns of the wheel it takes to get her moving in the direction you want. :eek:

Other than that, (so far) I am very happy with the her.

Don't you just love a new boat? I absolutely hate anything that is new. That's why I end up taking everything apart and putting it back together again. Once you get it tweaked, it is boating heaven----also relationship with the Admiral improves greatly.

FYI: I also had to bleed the steering fluid. My boat not purchased from the dealer you used.

Ditto on proper engine trim versus ease of steering. Also 4 blade prop will make steering stiffer.

jim

ScoopsAhoy":27pbi7st said:
The manual says that you should be able to see solid fluid in the fill hose. I noticed on mine that there is some air in the hose line.

I just can't get over how many turns of the wheel it takes to get her moving in the direction you want. :eek:

, (.

I think the manual says you should continue to bleed each side of hyd cylinder until you see clear fluid, no air in tubes you attach to cylinder. Turn wheel hard over, either side, continue to force, you should hear a loud "clunk" (relief valve) and wheel will jerk if system is bled properly.

The # of turns is a function of how easy do you want your steering. By the way, I agree, hyd steering is way too slow. I recently changed wheels to a smaller 3 spoke with the spinner knob (for the bling factor 8) ). A great (IMO) advantage is the much quicker turning (smaller diameter) and now there is some resistance.

Agree with others, bet you have motor trimmed in or way too much tab if your steering is hard. General concensus here is about 4 bars on trim guage is "neutral".

The SeaStar steering has a 3 year warranty. A lot of SeaStars seem to need a seal kit (free parts) within the 3 year period. IMO, most seals are cut/damaged as corrosion builds up on rod just where it enters cylinder. Be sure to keep some WD-40 or your favorite protectorant on that rod.

Whatever you do, don't scar that rod. :shock:

FishFactory":13e9qaic said:
ScoopsAhoy":13e9qaic said:
Agree with others, bet you have motor trimmed in or way too much tab if your steering is hard. General concensus here is about 4 bars on trim guage is "neutral".

3-4 bars on the trim gauge almost puts my prop out of the water. Just exaggerating a little but, at 3-4 bars the RPM's roar.

ScoopsAhoy":3q3s6c9k said:
Do I need any special tools to add fluid or just pour it out of the bottle?

I use one of these to add fluid.

184736e.jpg

:idea: Now that's special. :idea: Manual has some gizmo that screws onto the fill fitting, presumably to avoid air intrusion. I dunno. Probably just more crap to sell you. Anyway, ketchup dispenser works for me. I can buy that at the dollar store for, uh...$1.

I would have thought the dealer would have checked and bled the two lines going into the unit.

Your first mistake. Seriously, As Jim said you need to recheck any work not done by your own hand. Most boat dealers have young kids with no experience doing these things. Atleast that has been my experience in the past. Doesn't hurt to re-check work that has been paid for. Just my opinion.

ScoopsAhoy":26gbdv5y said:
:idea: Now that's special. :idea: Manual has some gizmo that screws onto the fill fitting, presumably to avoid air intrusion. I dunno. Probably just more crap to sell you. Anyway, ketchup dispenser works for me. I can buy that at the dollar store for, uh...$1.

The "gizmo" comes with your new boat...it's in the owner's packet, along with the tubes that go on the cylinder. There is no "air intrusion" since you're adding fluid at top of system (air bubbles rise).

FishFactory":33raf2lf said:
ScoopsAhoy":33raf2lf said:
:idea:
The "gizmo" comes with your new boat...it's in the owner's packet, along with the tubes that go on the cylinder.

Got on the horn the day you said that, dealer said he "forgot" to give it to me on delivery of the boat. Got it in the mail today.
Thanks

ScoopsAhoy":14pqvaqe said:
FishFactory":14pqvaqe said:
ScoopsAhoy":14pqvaqe said:
:idea:
The "gizmo" comes with your new boat...it's in the owner's packet, along with the tubes that go on the cylinder.

Got on the horn the day you said that, dealer said he "forgot" to give it to me on delivery of the boat. Got it in the mail today.
Thanks

The power of ClassicParker! :D

Back